Favorite Local Rivalries

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
I didn't see this on the board so I thought it'd be interesting to get everyone's opinion. What are your top 10 high school football rivalries? I will start with mine. This list isn't meant to down grade other games from around the state. It's just the rivalries I know from my little corner of Alabama. :) If everyone can contribute a few we could have a pretty good list of games. :cool: It could even help me decide what games to see if I decide to get that far away from home and maybe my list could help someone as well. :biggrin2:

Sylvania vs. Plainview
Fyffe vs. Plainview
Geraldine vs. Crossville
Boaz vs. Albertville
Clay County vs. Lineville
Sand Rock vs. Cedar Bluff
Hokes Bluff vs. Glencoe
North Jackson vs. Scottsboro
Ider vs. North Sand Mountain
Pisgah vs. Section

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
TR Miller vs Pike County is usually a good one. I'm not sure if they even play anymore since Miller went to 4A.

Deshler vs Russellville
Foley vs Daphne is turning into a big one.
Oneonta vs Susan Moore
Muphy vs Vigor was HUGE in the late eighties, not sure about it now.
Tuscaloosa Central vs Tuscaloosa County used to be big, but I think Central has dropped down to 4A now. They used to be the biggest school in the state.

It's hard to keep up with them once you leave the state. I need to move back home.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I like Hoover and Spain Park....even though my school always hands it to SP every year they have played.

Also Hoover and Vestavia although Hoover has owned them lately.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Prattville and Dallas County have not played for as long as I can remember and I've lived here since 1984 and been attending their games even before that (while dating my future spouse). Selma and Prattville has not been much of a rivalry since I've been here. The last, and only, time I can remember Selma beating the Lions was in 1994. The "old timers" tell me that Prattville and Chilton County was a good rivalry back in the day. I do know that Prattville and Enterprise have had a good rivalry through the years. I can remember a few times that the Wildcats came to town very highly ranked only to suffer a loss.

Obviously, Prattville and the Montgomery schools have been a rivalry. Years ago the "big city" schools used to make fun of the Lions (I know because I'm a grad of one of them) but no one laughs at the Lions any longer. JD was the last Montgomery team to beat the Lions (in the 2002 playoff semi-finals) and the last regular season loss to a Montgomery school was to Lanier in 2000.

Currently, Prattville and Opelika have a good rivalry going. However, this has more to do with Coach McCracken, due to his time at Lee, than it does with Opelika.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Prattville and Dallas County have not played for as long as I can remember and I've lived here since 1984 and been attending their games even before that (while dating my future spouse). Selma and Prattville has not been much of a rivalry since I've been here. The last, and only, time I can remember Selma beating the Lions was in 1994. The "old timers" tell me that Prattville and Chilton County was a good rivalry back in the day. I do know that Prattville and Enterprise have had a good rivalry through the years. I can remember a few times that the Wildcats came to town very highly ranked only to suffer a loss.

Obviously, Prattville and the Montgomery schools have been a rivalry. Years ago the "big city" schools used to make fun of the Lions (I know because I'm a grad of one of them) but no one laughs at the Lions any longer. JD was the last Montgomery team to beat the Lions (in the 2002 playoff semi-finals) and the last regular season loss to a Montgomery school was to Lanier in 2000.

Currently, Prattville and Opelika have a good rivalry going. However, this has more to do with Coach McCracken, due to his time at Lee, than it does with Opelika.

I'm talking about the 70's. Maybe, Southside.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Ld, didn't mean to imply that you are wrong about Prattville/Selma/Dallas County, it could easily have been before my time. I grew up in Montgomery and, as I mentioned, didn't really get into Prattville football in a serious way until the early 80's. Next time I see Jimmy White (from The Prattville Progress) I'll ask him a few questions about it. He is "the" resident expert on Lions sports.;)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Ld, didn't mean to imply that you are wrong about Prattville/Selma/Dallas County, it could easily have been before my time. I grew up in Montgomery and, as I mentioned, didn't really get into Prattville football in a serious way until the early 80's. Next time I see Jimmy White (from The Prattville Progress) I'll ask him a few questions about it. He is "the" resident expert on Lions sports.;)
I think I got Dallas County mixed up with another opponent. I remember Selma playing Prattville pretty good when Coach Whitcomb was at Selma High.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Vestavia vs. Hoover is about as good as it gets. Hoover has had our number lately, but the games have been very exciting. Eventually Vestavia will get them. Vestavia vs. Mountain Brook is also a great rivalry.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
In West Alabama:

Fayette Co. vs Gordo: The Gordo folks still haven't forgive Waldon Tucker for jumping ship in the '80s.

Holt vs Brookwood: A traditional "slobber-knocker" between 2 schools whose kids live very close to each other & don't like each other.

Northside vs Berry: The traditional "rattlesnake" game. They have a pre-game meal of - you guessed it - rattlesnake... or so they tell me.

Since Central split into three schools (6A Northridge, 6A Paul W. Bryant & 4A Central), there hasn't been the same intensity between any of these schools vs Tuscaloosa County as there was in the old days of the "War Across the River". TCHS vs Hillcrest is fair, but just isn't the same.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
In West Alabama:

Fayette Co. vs Gordo: The Gordo folks still haven't forgive Waldon Tucker for jumping ship in the '80s.
Was he the coach when Gordo had Wayne Davis at linebacker? I saw them demolish one of the best teams Susan Moore has ever had, 36-8 in the playoffs. Susan Moore scored a late touchdown and I think it was the first time Gordo had been scored on that year.

I also saw them beat Oneonta when Oneonta had Lamonde Russell in '85. That was a much closer game. Gordo's QB was Tim Jones, and I believe he started for Memphis State against Bama as a true freshman the next year.

Gordo had some great teams in the early and mid eighties.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.