Grilled Turkey

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
We're hosting our family's Thanksgiving dinner this year and I've been thinking about doing things a little different this year. I really don't want to deep fry the turkey, but am thinking of cutting it into sections and grilling it instead. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences along this line and what recommendations you would make.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Saw Bobby flay make this-- it looked good

Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze
Recipe courtesy Bobby FlayShow: Emeril LiveEpisode: Emeril's All-Star Holiday Bash This recipe is available for a limited time only. Why?
1 (15 pound) fresh turkey
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze:
1 1/2 cups pomegranate molasses
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
Salt
Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl and season with salt to taste. Truss the turkey. Place turkey on a work surface, breast side up. Rub it with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Heat the grill to medium heat. Have the rotisserie shaft fitted with 1 spit fork. Making certain that the turkey is centered, push the rotisserie shaft through the turkey between the legs, exiting at the neck. Slide the spit fork onto the shaft. Insert the tines of the spit forks into the turkey, screw side up, and tighten the screws to secure firmly. Set the rotisserie shaft in place in the rotisserie ring. Loosen the retaining loop at the handle, and let the counterweight assembly hang down to counterbalance the weight of the breast. The rotisserie should rotate so that the heavy side of the turkey rotates down to the bottom. Swing the counterweight assembly so that the counterweight is directly opposite the heavy side of the turkey. Tighten the retaining loop. The counterweight travel should stick out a little bit above the shaft handle and retaining loop. You may need to adjust the travel of the counterweight as the food cooks, or if the motor sounds like it is straining. Insert the pointed end of the rotisserie shaft into the motor. Set the rotisserie shaft into the ring. Cover the grill, and turn the motor on. Grill the turkey 11 minutes per pound if unstuffed. During the last 30 minutes, baste the entire turkey with 1 cup of the marinade. Remove the turkey from the grill and immediately brush with the remaining glaze. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing. To determine if the turkey is thoroughly cooked, insert an instant-read thermometer into the thickest part of the inner muscle of the thigh, making certain not to touch the bone, and check that the temperature is 175 to 180 degrees F.

I wouldnt pay any attention to that tempetature suggestion though--- i cook a turkey to about 155-160 degrees, then it will rise a little after you stop cooking.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
That's a good looking recipe but the pomegranate molasses may be tough for some to come by. I think what he uses is actually a syrup he is calling molasses because the sugar and pomegranate is reduced down into a thick syrup like molasses. Middle eastern countries use this in their cooking mainly Lebanese and Moroccan. You can make your own by bringing 3 cups pomegranate juice, 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1 cup sugar to a boil then reducing it down to one cup. It has the shelf life of coal.

butchp

3rd Team
Oct 14, 2005
don't know about a whole turkey, i cooked some turkey wings on the grill a while back and they were so tough they broke my dog's teeth.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I saw Alton Brown cook one on the grill once.

First it was brined-- which im sure helps keep it from drying out.
he cooked it in a roasting pan where the side of the grill that the turkey was on was turned off (indirect cooking) while the other side was on about medium heat--- this was on a gas grill... He also tented the bird with foil for most of the cooking time--- in effect roasting it on the grill

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Personally-- i love a turkey roasted in the oven.

I mix rosemary, sage, salt and soft butter together and put it under the skin of the turkey--- Oil and salt and pepper on the outside of the turkey. Salt, pepper, onions, rosemary, sage, and apples on the inside of the turkey.

450 degrees for the first 20 minutes, then turn down to 300 for the rest of the cooking till it reaches 155-160 degrees.

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
I tried a grilled lamb chops recipe that called for pomegranate molasses, which I did not have. As a substitute, I reduced some triple sec and brushed it on toward the end of cooking. The taste was great! :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have cooked cornish hens slathered with a reduction made form port wine, red plum jelly and orange zest that was very good.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.