2007 AHSAA Super Six

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
1A - Sweetwater vs. Talladega County Central (Thursday 3:00 P.M.)
2A - Leroy vs. Fyffe (Friday 3:00 P.M.)
3A - Cordova vs. Clay County (Saturday 11:00 A.M.)
4A - Central (Tuscaloosa) vs. Deshler (Thursday 7:00 P.M.)
5A - St. Paul's vs. Briarwood Christian (Friday 7:00 P.M.)
6A - Prattville vs. Spain Park (Saturday 3:00 P.M.)

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
My top three games:

St Paul's vs Briarwood
Cordova vs Clay Co
Leroy vs Fyffe

It's good to see Deshler back after a year hiatus. It will be interesting to see how they fare against Tuscaloosa Central.

I haven't watched Central play, but I've heard they're possibly the best in the state, let alone 4A.

Looks like my alma mater will have their hands full. Go Tigers!
Central is insanely good. It'll be interesting to see how they do at 5A next year.

I know Spain Park made it through an extremely difficult run, but I have a feeling Prattville is going to drill them in that 6A Championship.

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
Central is pretty good but best in state overall would probably be somewhat of a stretch. Central had to go for two at the end to beat Thomasville, who already had two losses, including a loss at the hands of 1A Sweetwater. I think Sweetwater is far and away the best team in the state 'pound for pound'. They probably wouldnt beat Prattville or really any of the 5A or 6A semifinal participants but just based on a student body size to talent on the field ratio there is no contest.

Central is pretty good but best in state overall would probably be somewhat of a stretch. Central had to go for two at the end to beat Thomasville, who already had two losses, including a loss at the hands of 1A Sweetwater. I think Sweetwater is far and away the best team in the state 'pound for pound'. They probably wouldnt beat Prattville or really any of the 5A or 6A semifinal participants but just based on a student body size to talent on the field ratio there is no contest.
Agreed. Sweetwater is just scary good... and big. I watched them absolutely manhandle ACA earlier in the season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
are you kidding me? prattville hasn't been getting help from the refs at all. i'd take you didn't watch the last game.
I agree with you. I was at the game last night. I never knew a pass interfence penalty was 20 yards but the refs last night decided it was.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I haven't watched Central play, but I've heard they're possibly the best in the state, let alone 4A.
Central-Tuscaloosa is a very good team, but nowhere near the best in the state. They would lose decisively to Prattville, Hoover, Spain Park, Mt. Brook, Foley, etc, etc.

I'd like to see a Central vs Sweet Water matchup. Sweet Water's offensive line is smaller than I thought, but Landrum is a hoss, and Luker can hurt you on the keeper if you key on Landrum. Central's receivers would have a definite advantage over SW's DBs, based on what Maplesville was able to do. Neither team can kick XPs.

We could play the game in Demopolis on the Saturday after the Super Six, to give people time to get their grills cleaned and ready to go, and their meat marinated.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Every team should receive as much "help" as Prattville gets. Friday night they were "helped" to the tune of 14 penalties for 150 yards! Perhaps they have a different definition of help over in Georgia where Mamacalled is from.

Go Lions, boo referee (especially the crew from the Opelika area that were in the Ville Friday night). ;)

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Every team should receive as much "help" as Prattville gets. Friday night they were "helped" to the tune of 14 penalties for 150 yards! Perhaps they have a different definition of help over in Georgia where Mamacalled is from.

Go Lions, boo referee (especially the crew from the Opelika area that were in the Ville Friday night). ;)
Did you ever think WHY PHS is getting 12-15 penalties a game? I bet if you go back and see how many fouls are called on PHS, especially of the 15 yd variety, you might see it is not just one crew - it is a pattern developed by PHS.

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
Did you ever think WHY PHS is getting 12-15 penalties a game? I bet if you go back and see how many fouls are called on PHS, especially of the 15 yd variety, you might see it is not just one crew - it is a pattern developed by PHS.
he was referring to a previous post that said prattville always got help from the refs. 100+ yards every game is not "help". i'm sure 20 yard pass interference calls aren't help either. it would have been 25 yards if they didn't talk about it. they eventually moved the ball back 5 yards.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
he was referring to a previous post that said prattville always got help from the refs. 100+ yards every game is not "help". i'm sure 20 yard pass interference calls aren't help either. it would have been 25 yards if they didn't talk about it. they eventually moved the ball back 5 yards.
With that I do agree. I heard from several people that the officials marked off a 20 yd PI. That is inexcusable, especially from guys who are working a semi-final game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With that I do agree. I heard from several people that the officials marked off a 20 yd PI. That is inexcusable, especially from guys who are working a semi-final game.
I keep hearing the officials were from Opelika, which would explain some of the calls. Also, the back judge was a female; she made a PI call 5 seconds after the play was dead (the ref that was 2 yards from the play had already thrown the ball back). That call lead to an unsportsmanlike on PHS because Coach Clark was not too happy.

Some people have made some comments about the officiating, but we are not worrying about it. We won and are looking forward to Saturday.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
tidehawk said:
As a matter of fact, I have given that some thought. Let me preface what follows by giving a little background info: I was a softball official for 20+ years and know first hand how much of a thankless job it is for officials of all sports; I know that you are only as good as your partner(s); and I also know first hand that it isn't about the money! So, I'm not here to attack you but to have an open discussion because your post intrigues me.

So, let's rule out bias because I truly believe that (nearly all) officials are capable of leaving that outside the lines. I think that leaves us with two possibilities: 1.) the subjective nature of rules interpretation (especially in football); 2.) coaching.

It is commonly accepted that one could call holding on practically every play. So, as a rule, and since we've eliminated bias, one would expect calls of those type to even out over the course of a game/season since, afterall, holding and/or PI is enforced the same for either team. However, if a team is prohibitively stronger than its competition, you would expect those numbers to be skewed in favor of the stronger team. More talent and depth tend to wear opponents down, tired opponents tend to hold more. Friday, PHS was called for holding a few times, once a QB sneak, McGill wasn't flagged for holding all night (that I can recall) despite the fact that the PHS defense whipped their O-line and had the QB scrambling for his life. Now, I'm not saying PHS didn't hold on the play I mentioned but you've got to wonder about no holding calls by a line that couldn't slow down the rush. No need to really go into the PI calls but let me say that every PI, even one offensive, went against PHS.

So, if I remove bias as a possible explanation and if we can agree that as a rule penalties tend to even out, the only other explanation I can find is coaching. Am I to believe that PHS isn't getting good coaching???? Our coaches teach poor technique and every team we play teaches it correctly? Please. The PHS staff is supposed to be top notch, I mean they've won 30 in a row and only lost three over the last 5 seasons.

As for the 15 yard variety, I presume you refer to the personal foul type. Sure, there have been a few this year, and I'm not about to argue whether they were deserved or not, but nothing like in previous years. I know we had a player get two in the Wetumpka game but neither of those were of the late hit variety. We've actually had a small number of PF's this year.

Well, I've tried to give some of my view and could go on ad nausea. Perhaps I'm reading too much into your post, but it seems to me to indicate that PHS has a reputation amongst the brethren. Once a team is "known" for something, it seems everyone wants to pile on. Calls should never be made on reputation, that brings the bias factor back into play. We always had a saying in softball: call what you see. I'd be interested to see you expand further upon your previous post and share your view about the WHY. Oh, I apologize for the length of this post and am not trying to highjack the tread, regardless of how it may appear ;).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.