Super Six - Pick your Winners!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Let's see who you think will win the final games. Here's my 2 cents worth:

1A: Talladega County Central vs. Sweet Water - Battle of two undefeated teams to open up the Super Six. I can't see the SWHS Bulldogs losing - they are as good a fb team as I have seen in quite a while. Look for Landrum, a Bama commit, to have a big game.Sweet Water 38, Talladega Central 10

2A: Leroy vs. Fyffe - Another good match up. The thing I like about the Super Six is it allows fans to see there is dang good fb across the 6 classifications, not just with the big schools. I have a feeling this game could go either way. Fyffe 24, Leroy 20

3A: Clay County vs. Cordova -Again, a good matchup. Clay County's offensive line is big and fast - they have beaten a good 5A Benjamin Russell team the last two years. Cordova is very good - but Clay County is better. Clay County 31, Cordova 14

4A: Deshler vs. Central Tuscaloosa - Deshler has Super Six experience, having played in the big game several times. But Central is loaded, big up front, very good skill people. Central 27, Deshler 18

5A: Briarwood vs. St. Paul's -Again, it comes down to Super Six experience vs. talent, and St. Pauls' has it. I believe that St. Paul's has 5 Bama commits - very hard to beat that much Division I talent in a HS game. St. Paul's 28, Briarwood 21

6A: Prattville vs. Spain Park - First time in a long time that Hoover isn't playing in this game. Prattville might be the most talented team this state has seen in the past 15 years, including the Hoover teams of the past. They have size, speed, athletes all over the field, especially on defense. Add in the Super Six experience, and it equals out to a big win for PHS. Prattville 41, Spain Park 17

What are your predictions?

CornBiscuit

Suspended
Oct 2, 2005
Mobile, AL
1A: Talladega County Central vs. Sweet Water
No idea.
2A: Leroy vs. Fyffe
I have not seen Fyffe, but Leroy is a very good team with good athletes.
3A: Clay County vs. Cordova
No idea
4A: Deshler vs. Central Tuscaloosa
Central will wear them down by the end. 24-16
5A: Briarwood vs. St. Paul's
Briarwood's lines will be too strong for St. Pauls and McCarron wont have time to throw the ball. Briarwood 31-20.

6A: Prattville vs. Spain Park
I think it will be closer than some think, but in the end Prattville wins it, 28-14

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Is there a prize ???

Regardless, here are my picks:

1A - Sweet Water --- best small school team I've seen
2A - Leroy -- strong running, good passing
3A - Cordova -- only because they're near here
4A - Central -- gotta go with the home town team, but this will be close
5A - St. Paul's -- this one is really close, but my back judge went there, so...
6A - Prattville -- would be a major upset if SP wins

I just realized that I picked all the South teams, and that's not likely to happen. (Has either half won all 6 games recently?) Of course, Cordova's not really a South team.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

1A: Talladega County Central vs. Sweet Water - Battle of two undefeated teams to open up the Super Six. I can't see the SWHS Bulldogs losing - they are as good a fb team as I have seen in quite a while. Look for Landrum, a Bama commit, to have a big game.Sweet Water 38, Talladega Central 10

2A: Leroy vs. Fyffe - Another good match up. The thing I like about the Super Six is it allows fans to see there is dang good fb across the 6 classifications, not just with the big schools. I have a feeling this game could go either way. Fyffe 24, Leroy 20

3A: Clay County vs. Cordova -Again, a good matchup. Clay County's offensive line is big and fast - they have beaten a good 5A Benjamin Russell team the last two years. Cordova is very good - but Clay County is better. Clay County 31, Cordova 14

4A: Deshler vs. Central Tuscaloosa - Deshler has Super Six experience, having played in the big game several times. But Central is loaded, big up front, very good skill people. Central 27, Deshler 18

5A: Briarwood vs. St. Paul's -Again, it comes down to Super Six experience vs. talent, and St. Pauls' has it. I believe that St. Paul's has 5 Bama commits - very hard to beat that much Division I talent in a HS game. St. Paul's 28, Briarwood 21

6A: Prattville vs. Spain Park - First time in a long time that Hoover isn't playing in this game. Prattville might be the most talented team this state has seen in the past 15 years, including the Hoover teams of the past. They have size, speed, athletes all over the field, especially on defense. Add in the Super Six experience, and it equals out to a big win for PHS. Prattville 41, Spain Park 17

1A-Sweet Water-I think they need to be a 2A or 3A school.

2A-Know nothing about them so no prediction.

3A-Clay County-Came in this last game as HEAVY favorites but had a bunch of turnovers which cost them an almost give-me game. Don't expect they will make that same mistake twice.

4A-Know nothing about them either so no thoughts.

5A-This is the best Briarwood team since the days of Tim and Simeon Castille....if not ever. St Pauls has several future D-1 players including Ivan Machette. Both of these teams can beat each other to a pulp but whoever jumps on top of the other early and makes the least amount of mistakes will win.

6A-Prattville-This bunch of man eating Lions have simply ripped (most of) their opponents shreds apart all season long. They are one of the most powerful 6A teams ever to play football on a Friday night besides 2004 Hoover. Spain Park has feasted of great senior leadership all season long. They have an advantage over Prattville with their big O-line and D-line but thats just about it. On paper these teams are just about even but in the field they are not. Prattville should win big.

Last edited:

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States

Hammer, meet nail! I can't add anything. Excellent work! :hurray::willy_nilly::cool:

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
Look for Landrum, a Bama commit, to have a big game

I believe that St. Paul's has 5 Bama commits - very hard to beat that much Division I talent in a HS game.
Not that its much of an issue on this particular forum, but St Paul's has three players committed to Bama; RB Matchett, WR Hood, and S Barron. QB McCarron is an expected Bama commit for next years class.

And unless you have some info the rest of us have missed on I'm pretty sure Landrum isn't committed to Bama, and FWIW I'm not sure if he even has a committable offer.... :p_conf:

pvilleguru

1st Team
Feb 2, 2007
1A-Sweet Water-I think they need to be a 2A or 3A school.

2A-Know nothing about them so no prediction.

3A-Clay County-Came in this last game as HEAVY favorites but had a bunch of turnovers which cost them an almost give-me game. Don't expect they will make that same mistake twice.

4A-Know nothing about them either so no thoughts.

5A-This is the best Briarwood team since the days of Tim and Simeon Castille....if not ever. St Pauls has several future D-1 players including Ivan Machette. Both of these teams can beat each other to a pulp but whoever jumps on top of the other early and makes the least amount of mistakes will win.

6A-Prattville-This bunch of man eating Lions have simply ripped (most of) their opponents shreds apart all season long. They are one of the most powerful 6A teams ever to play football on a Friday night besides 2004 Hoover. Spain Park has feasted of great senior leadership all season long. They have an advantage over Prattville with their big O-line and D-line but thats just about it. On paper these teams are just about even but in the field they are not. Prattville should win big.
mcgill also had a huge advantage in size on the line. prattville's back up running back had over 100 yards, and mcgill had 14 yards of offense in the second half.

CornBiscuit

Suspended
Oct 2, 2005
Mobile, AL
This is interesting because St. Pauls and Briarwood met in the playoffs then too. Briarwood won but LSU's Chevis Jackson had near 250 receiving yards in the first half on Simeon Castille, and that was an awesome game.

Should be an awesome game this week.

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
The only team near my neck of the woods is Deshler. I believe they will put up a good fight, but this team may just be to young to win it. Look out for them in the next several years though as almost their whole team is underclassmen.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
This is interesting because St. Pauls and Briarwood met in the playoffs then too. Briarwood won but LSU's Chevis Jackson had near 250 receiving yards in the first half on Simeon Castille, and that was an awesome game.

Should be an awesome game this week.
I remember that I was not impressed with Simeon Castille's attitude on the field during that game. Looks like I was right.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
And unless you have some info the rest of us have missed on I'm pretty sure Landrum isn't committed to Bama, and FWIW I'm not sure if he even has a committable offer.... :p_conf:
The principal at Sweet Water told me that UA had looked at "a couple" of their players, but has not offered yet. The rumor among the SW people is that they may consider Drew Luker for a DB position.

Landrum has below-average grades, and a low ACT score. He may qualify for D-II, or may have to go the juco route.

There were several UWA coaches at the game Friday night, and I think I saw a Southern Miss jacket as well.

AdamMc2003

1st Team
Dec 14, 2005
sweet water
fyffe
Cordova
Deshler
briarwood
spain park...

sweet water: they beat Hazlewood(actually turnovers beat hazlewood but that is part of football)
fyffe: beat an undefeated red bay(though red bay's #1 qb was sidelined with a torn ACL)
Cordova: Saw Clay County in action last week, they didn't seem all that impresive(Colbert County played terrible and yet still made a game out of it)
Deshler: local team, hope they win
Briarwood: dominated Russellville, stronger than some people think
Spain Park: I don't know why, I just see it happening, on paper it shouldn't even be close, but I think Spain Park wins it off of emotion...

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
4A Deshler
5A St. Paul's
6A Prattville

I know nothing about 1A-3A so I won't even venture a guess on those. The most obvious though is Prattville in 6A. They have taken over the mantle as 6A powerhouse in the state, good bye Hoover.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
4A Deshler
5A St. Paul's
6A Prattville

I know nothing about 1A-3A so I won't even venture a guess on those. The most obvious though is Prattville in 6A. They have taken over the mantle as 6A powerhouse in the state, good bye Hoover.[/quote]

They are mighty, mighty fierce indeed, P-Ville, that is. But let's see them make the next 5 consecutive trips to the finals (for a total of 7), before proclaiming them "King". :smile:

I guess it will be a little odd for Hoover to be on the sidelines instead of in the championship game this year. Maybe VHHS could offer some advice on how to handle this predicament as they've certainly made a habit of it..;) :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.