Fried Chicken Gizzards?

Crimson Pig

1st Team
Nov 29, 2004
Interestingly enough, it's something that I've eaten rarely in my life. KFC tends to be the only place I've ever gotten them, and they're DARN good. I've dabbled with making them myself at home but they always come out tough. In the unlikely even that someone has played around with this, can you offer me any suggestion(s)?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Don't look at me, I don't like them. The few I do use are either chopped and used in giblet gravy or dirty rice dressing.

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
A man after my own heart, but please do discard the hearts from your container of gizzards. Trust me, there will be some in there. Wash well and cut away excessive fat. Now, what you may not have done that I think is mandantory for them to be tender is parboiling the gizzards before frying them. Place in a pot of cold water, bring water to a rolling boil and boil for about 15 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Make a flour mixture, with salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Preheat enough oil to cover gizzards in a skillet (with lid) over medium-high heat. Coat gizzards with seasoned flour mixture and place into hot oil. Leave space, you don't want the gizzards touching. Fry gizzards on both sides until brown. Turn heat to medium, cover with lid and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Now they are ready for the hot sauce. I can eat em like popcorn.

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
I found this recipe back in July and tried it out of curiosity. It was very tasty.

Fried Chicken Gizzards

1-2 lb chicken gizzards (rinsed)
1-2 cup flour (divided)
2 liters Coca-Cola
3 eggs
1/2 cup real butter
1-2 teaspoon of multi spice seasoning (I prefer Mortons Natures Seasons)

Bring 2 liters of Coca-Cola to a rolling boil in a large stockpot.
Place rinsed gizzards in boiling pot.
Bring back to a rolling boil, reduce heat to steady simmer for 35 to 45 minutes.
Remove gizzards and drain.
Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. The cooler the better.
In the divided flour, mix the seasoning in one half, leaving the other plain.
Beat the eggs well, place the butter in a medium-large skillet and heat until hot, while not burning.
Take cooled gizzards, dredge in flour,egg, then seasoned flour.
THIS IS THE VERY IMPORTANT PART!
FLOUR-- EGG-- SEASONED FLOUR-- IN THAT ORDER!
Place the gizzards in the fry pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes per side-- turning occassionally-- remove when golden brown--.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I used to get fried chicken from Top Hat Chicken in Columbus GA (closed now). They used a batter that included a generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper. At times the chicken was so hot you would need a fire extinguisher in the bathroom.
It was really, really hot but so very good. Yum!

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I'm a huge fan of truck stops and greasy spoon restaurants. When I traveled with my kids when they were young they always wanted to stop at Shoney's or McDonald's but one day I pulled into a truck stop. My son asked if the food was any good and I showed him about 100 semi rigs parked outside. I told him son, all those trucks aren't waiting on gas or to use the restroom. From that day on they helped me locate out of the way places and truck stops get a big thumbs up.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.