Whatever happened to Linnie Patrick

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
....Linnie Patrick, one of the few players Bryant could never "reach" during his career? He was supposed to be the next Herschel Walker coming out of high school and never lived up to his potential. What is he doing now?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
....Linnie Patrick, one of the few players Bryant could never "reach" during his career? He was supposed to be the next Herschel Walker coming out of high school and never lived up to his potential. What is he doing now?
I fixed the title of your thread. There is plenty of room in the heading box to make it clear what your post is about. Without adding Linnie Patrick it is what we call a "Teaser" and we don't like or allow "Teaser" topics here. Make a complete sentence or at least make it clear what your thread topic is about. Thanks.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I still remember his run in the Iron Bowl where he got hit by pretty much everyone on Auburn's team & sidelines and kept on going. (OK, it wasn't really everyone...but it sure seemed like it...)

lynyrd skynyrd

All-American
Apr 8, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Last I heard he was still at Sanders trucking company in B'ham. My uncle worked with him untill he retired and talked to him a lot. He said that Linnie truly regretted not doing what Coach Bryant asked him to do and that if he could do it all over again he would have listened with both ears.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Linnie Patrick could have had a career like Barry Sanders, he was that type of runner and he was an awesome talent. Unfortunately, he hated to practice and he refused to learn how to block for others. Thus he sat in Coach Bryant's doghouse for just about his entire career. The few times he stepped on the field he made some unbelievable runs, topped off by that incredible one in the Iron Bowl.

GA Bamafan

1st Team
Oct 24, 2004
Pell City, AL
The Show,

Looks like nobody knows so far. Lots of looking back to "The Run". But the question remains, what happened to LP?

Are you coming to Dublin soon?

Blanda's Shoes

1st Team
Mar 27, 2003
Last I heard he was still at Sanders trucking company in B'ham...
Hey, Lynyrd, does Sanders do contract work for other companies? LP used to deliver for a bread company--Merita, I think? Last I heard, he still goes to the Bama games from time to time.

His nephew was playing football for one of the Tuscaloosa schools, wasn't he? Jeez, that may have been forever ago though.

I wonder if 25 years from now "whatever happened to Jimmy Johns" becomes a popular thread topic. ;)

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms
Last I heard he was still at Sanders trucking company in B'ham. My uncle worked with him untill he retired and talked to him a lot. He said that Linnie truly regretted not doing what Coach Bryant asked him to do and that if he could do it all over again he would have listened with both ears.
I'm sure some of our current players will say the same thing one day.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
exiled, that run we're all talking about, I've watched the tape in slow motion many times and I counted 8 AU defenders either put a lick on him or had a hand on him during that run and could not get him down. I still say that was THE most impressive run I've ever seen by a RB at Bama. Never seen such skill and sheer determination.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Actually, it was Billy Sims that he was usually compared to.
I lived in Jasper when Linnie played for Walker Co. High School.
He was unbelievable.
Second most recruited player in the nation his senior year. I believe Herschel was number one.
I love Bama but in my opinion Linnie should have never signed with the Tide.
Most people in Jasper, even Bama fans, felt the same way.
Linnie was a smallish scat back with great breakaway ability and quickness.
He was born to play tailback in the I-Formation.
His lack of size would have never allowed him to be a great wishbone back because it limited his blocking ability, no matter how hard he may have tried. He only weighed 165 coming out of high school.
He was offered by Tennessee, Nebraska, Auburn and other I-formation schools. O.J. Simpson, before his criminal days actually came to Jasper and tried to influence him to go to USC.
Personally, I think he should have gone to one of those schools....strictly thinking in terms of what would have benefited LInnie the most.
He was a star....or even a superstar with a lot of individual flash.
And he was cocky as you might imagine., and deservedly so.
That was never going to fly in Tuscaloosa with Bryant as the coach.
Everybody that knew Linnie pretty much knew that.
He did indeed make some stellar runs for Bama but he never even came close to the potential he might have had elsewhere as the "featured back".
He ended up playing for Jim Mora and the Michigan Panthers in the USFL for awhile and did O.K..
I have no idea what he's doing now but I hope he's doing good.

sippi

theshow4jsu_13

3rd Team
Apr 13, 2007
Birmingham, AL
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the updated information, I keep hearing everyone reference this run, but is there any video available online to view it, I was far too young to remember the run. I searched youtube yesterday but to no avail... Just wondering if someone knows where to find a clip of Linnie's run against the barn...

lynyrd skynyrd

All-American
Apr 8, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida USA
Hey, Lynyrd, does Sanders do contract work for other companies? LP used to deliver for a bread company--Merita, I think? Last I heard, he still goes to the Bama games from time to time.

His nephew was playing football for one of the Tuscaloosa schools, wasn't he? Jeez, that may have been forever ago though.

I wonder if 25 years from now "whatever happened to Jimmy Johns" becomes a popular thread topic. ;)
Don't know my friend. My uncle retired years ago and lost touch with him. I was just adding what I knew...

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Last time I talked to him he was married, had 3 sons, and living in Midfield, working for the same trucking company mentioned in this thread. That was at high school playoff game a few years ago. He said he was also helping coach the pee wee team his boys were playing on.

bamajas

1st Team
Oct 5, 2005
Jasper, AL
He had two sons who played at WHS in the past several years...

The older graduated in 2000...he was a stud running back, sounds like he was bigger than Linnie...IMO, he had talent to play on the D1 level, but initially went to W. Alabama or AA&M, not sure which because of a host of problems...

The younger was younger than myself, so I don't know anything about him...

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
He ended up playing for Jim Mora and the Michigan Panthers in the USFL for awhile and did O.K..
I have no idea what he's doing now but I hope he's doing good.

sippi
Jim Stanley . Mora coached the Philadelphia Stars .

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.