Best coffee

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
When we lived in Huntsville, I loved Krispy Kreme's brand at Publix. Since moving back to Tampa, I have discovered Dunkin' Doughnuts' brand at Publix (no KK coffee down here). Great stuff and only $5.99 a bag.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Community New Orleans Blend here. And I am generally a pretty plain coffee type guy.

And, Slab, there is actually a Community coffee New Orleans Blend Decaf! Outstanding discovery by mrs. exiled.

I feel your pain on not being able to drink caffeine all day any more. In my case, it was heart flutters (as I called them); the occasional accelerated & unusual heartbeats. My Dr. suggested that I cut back to two cups a day. After 2-3 days of falling asleep at work all day, I adjusted and the problem went away. Real coffee 1st thing, & then fake coffee (decaf) the rest of the day. That way, I can drink coffee with abandon all day, and still sleep like a log at night.

Just don't make me drink any flavored coffees. Major yak-age will ensue...:D

CrimsonNeck

1st Team
Jan 8, 2004
Elsewhen, Alabama
Community Coffee Dark Roast is the best coffee on this planet.
That is very good coffee but if you ask my mo-n-law, the best (& only coffee in her house) is Folger's Instant, w/no-name brand powdered creamer.:rolleyes: She doesn't own a coffee maker so it's this or nothing. OMG, I love coffee but when we visit her place, it's like HOE (Heck On Earth) while we're there. And guess where we're going in a little while? Dang skippy, if you guessed to my mo-n-law's! Mmmmm, mmmm gonna get me a steaming micro-waved cup o'Folger's w/generic white stuff! Just don't get any _____. (a) worse (b) worse (c) worse (d) all of the above... I'm going w/(e) "thanks but no thanks!"
:banghead:

I

It's On A Slab

Community New Orleans Blend here. And I am generally a pretty plain coffee type guy.

And, Slab, there is actually a Community coffee New Orleans Blend Decaf! Outstanding discovery by mrs. exiled.

I feel your pain on not being able to drink caffeine all day any more. In my case, it was heart flutters (as I called them); the occasional accelerated & unusual heartbeats. My Dr. suggested that I cut back to two cups a day. After 2-3 days of falling asleep at work all day, I adjusted and the problem went away. Real coffee 1st thing, & then fake coffee (decaf) the rest of the day. That way, I can drink coffee with abandon all day, and still sleep like a log at night.

Just don't make me drink any flavored coffees. Major yak-age will ensue...:D

I took yours and Savannah's advice and bought some Community.

But my Mocha Java and my Kona came in the mail yesterday. I'm set for Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
I found the link interesting but tell me Slab, have had the Jamaican Blue Mountain? If so, I hope before the Japanese became willing to pay $100 per lb. I beg to wonder if a cafe were to pay $100 per a lb of grounds what would a patron pay for a cup? :Smiliz_Kingz_PDT_05
$100 per lb. Wow.
That reminds me of the movie "Bucket List". This Blue Mountain stuff must have some "special" processing too.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
That is very good coffee but if you ask my mo-n-law, the best (& only coffee in her house) is Folger's Instant, w/no-name brand powdered creamer.:rolleyes: She doesn't own a coffee maker so it's this or nothing. OMG, I love coffee but when we visit her place, it's like HOE (Heck On Earth) while we're there. And guess where we're going in a little while? Dang skippy, if you guessed to my mo-n-law's! Mmmmm, mmmm gonna get me a steaming micro-waved cup o'Folger's w/generic white stuff! Just don't get any _____. (a) worse (b) worse (c) worse (d) all of the above... I'm going w/(e) "thanks but no thanks!"
:banghead:
I had that same problem when we visited my wife's sister's house, which is quite often. They didn't have a coffee maker either, and drank the cheapest instant coffee they could find. For Christmas this past year, we bought them a new coffee maker (the same kind we use) and a few bags of our favorite coffee. I think we've won them over because neither of them will touch instant coffee now. We've also learned to take along a spare bag of coffee and a cooler with the brand of creamer we use. It's a very small price to pay in exchange for having decent coffee when you're away from home. :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
True Story Time:

My first trip to Louisiana we arrived late, found a room for the night and the next morning looked for a place to have breakfast. In short order we found a cafe with lots of cars in the parking lot so we figured it was a good one. We took a table, got our menu and our waitress asked if we wanted coffee, we both said yes. Then she asked if we wanted light or dark?

Not having a clue what she was talking about one of us said dark and off she went with our order. She returned shortly with an urn of black fluid she poured in our cups. I took a little restaurant thingy of cream and poured it in my cup, gave it a stir and it barely turned color. I knew right then the cream was either bad or I was in for one strong cup of coffee. To my amazement it was strong but I liked it very much. I liked the aroma of strong coffee and to this day I make coffee stronger than my old friends in Alabama.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
True Story Time:

I liked the aroma of strong coffee and to this day I make coffee stronger than my old friends in Alabama.
Ditto. I can't stand weak coffee or weak tea.

One thing that irks me to no end is going into a restaurant and ordering tea, only to be served what looks more like orange colored water. :mad2:
The last time that happened to me, I told the waitress to dump it out because I wasn't drinking that. I told her "This isn't tea. It doesn't look like tea and it doesn't taste like tea. :eek2: Either bring me a real glass of tea, or a glass of water. "
Sometimes, regardless of where you eat, you have to keep them on their toes.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Ditto. I can't stand weak coffee or weak tea.

One thing that irks me to no end is going into a restaurant and ordering tea, only to be served what looks more like orange colored water. :mad2:
The last time that happened to me, I told the waitress to dump it out because I wasn't drinking that. I told her "This isn't tea. It doesn't look like tea and it doesn't taste like tea. :eek2: Either bring me a real glass of tea, or a glass of water. "
Sometimes, regardless of where you eat, you have to keep them on their toes.
Another thing that irks me is to order a fountain drink (soda, cola) and get a glass of carbonated water when the syrup ran out.

XXL TideFan

Suspended
Dec 7, 2002
Some of the best cups of coffee I've ever had was pure Navy coffee out of a 50 cup perculator on a Quarter Deck while standing the Mid-Watch in Feb. Just a brief hint of JP-5 fuel to give a little gleem to it's surface and help lubricate the old digestive track.
I was a Carrier sailor and it wasn'' coffee.......it was heart medicine. Working a mandatory 12 hr shift everyday when underway, you needed something to keep the heart beating. Usually went through 15 - 20 cups per day. All of my t shirts had brown stain armpits by the time the cruise was over.

Yep that was great coffee. I learned the trick of sprinkling a bit of salt on top of the grounds to take out the bitter taste. That was Navy coffee.
I never had you figured for a former squid. Where, when, what did you do? Details man.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I was a Carrier sailor and it wasn'' coffee.......it was heart medicine. Working a mandatory 12 hr shift everyday when underway, you needed something to keep the heart beating. Usually went through 15 - 20 cups per day. All of my t shirts had brown stain armpits by the time the cruise was over.

I never had you figured for a former squid. Where, when, what did you do? Details man.
USS Coral Sea CVA 43 '67-68
USS Hermitage LSD 34 '68-69
NAS Dam Neck Virginia Training Support Center Hampton Roads - Instructor '69

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
USS Coral Sea CVA 43 '67-68
USS Hermitage LSD 34 '68-69
NAS Dam Neck Virginia Training Support Center Hampton Roads - Instructor '69
Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!!! An Instructor 2 years before I joined the USN. I did 30 and now live only 3 miles from that Dam Neck base in Virginia Beach. When you were at the podium instructing, where I now live was a hog farm. You should pay a visit, its no longer 1 road in to get to this side. I sorta wish it still was that way. I was a Carrier sailor too, XXL.

XXL TideFan

Suspended
Dec 7, 2002
Now that is funny, I don't care who you are!!! An Instructor 2 years before I joined the USN. I did 30 and now live only 3 miles from that Dam Neck base in Virginia Beach. When you were at the podium instructing, where I now live was a hog farm. You should pay a visit, its no longer 1 road in to get to this side. I sorta wish it still was that way. I was a Carrier sailor too, XXL.
I rented an apartment at the start of the one road going into Dam Neck in '83-'84..................that hog farm was fragrant in the summer time. I had a buddy that was in the drone squadron at Dam Neck. I was in VF-14 at Oceania. Small world.

That coffee was one of the "coins of the realm" aboard ship. Cigs was the other one. I never smoked, but always bought my allotment to trade with. My unofficial collateral duty was "Scrounge Rat", man I loved the wheelin'-n-dealin'.

Last edited:

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
My unofficial collateral duty was "Scrounge Rat", man I loved the wheelin'-n-dealin'.
Every good outfit had a "Scrounge Rat". I never acknowledged knowing and never authorized the activities but I made sure he was within earshot when I stated something was needed. A valuable asset you were. I always rewarded mine in creative ways.

I had a structual modification performed to a bomb magazine once for a large can of coffee.

I still have my first "John Wayne" hanging on my key chain. Been in use since 1972, only one I ever needed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.