The Olive & The Martini

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
LOL. I admit it, I'm a light-weight.:) My wife and I were discussing this the other night. When we got married 10 years ago, we drank a cocktail every night after work. Now, we hardly ever drink due to our schedules and child. It was really funny in New Orleans last month. We spent more money on art and less on booze. We have changed.:wink:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
LOL. I admit it, I'm a light-weight.:) My wife and I were discussing this the other night. When we got married 10 years ago, we drank a cocktail every night after work. Now, we hardly ever drink due to our schedules and child. It was really funny in New Orleans last month. We spent more money on art and less on booze. We have changed.:wink:
As we all grow older we should drink better and drink less.

Example: 1 drink per day of $65 a bottle Single Malt Scotch vs 1 bottle per day of $4 a bottle whiskey. ;)

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
As we all grow older we should drink better and drink less.

Example: 1 drink per day of $65 a bottle Single Malt Scotch vs 1 bottle per day of $4 a bottle whiskey. ;)
Agree completely!! In fact, I'll drink to that! :wink:

What's your favorite single malt, bayou...I know, I know...it's like asking which of your children is your favorite...but humor me. :)

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Agree completely!! In fact, I'll drink to that! :wink:

What's your favorite single malt, bayou...I know, I know...it's like asking which of your children is your favorite...but humor me. :)
Presently it is this ---->

DALWHINNIE SINGLE MALT SCOTCH 15 YEAR

Strength: 43% ABV

Appearance: Gold.

Nose: A big, crisp, dry and very aromatic nose with hints of heather and peat.

Body: Light to medium.

Palate: Smooth, soft and lasting flavours of heather, honey sweetness and vanilla followed by deeper citrus-fruit flavours and hints of malted bread.

Finish: Long, lingering, surprisingly intense finish that starts sweetly, then gives way to smoke, peat and malt.

It may not be in everyone's top ten but I find myself in love with this little scotch. It has a fragrance like no other and I will sometimes pour a sip and just sniff it for longer than is necessary before sipping. It is light, well mannered, not a bit harsh and fragrant. It is also not terribly harsh on the pocket. @ $50.00 usd

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I love good whiskey and bourbon. My favorite is Maker's Mark or Knob Hill. I am looking for something even better from Kentucky (maybe Tennessee) that exceeds these in flavor. Any ideas?

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I love good whiskey and bourbon. My favorite is Maker's Mark or Knob Hill. I am looking for something even better from Kentucky (maybe Tennessee) that exceeds these in flavor. Any ideas?
I believe the water is better in Kentucky therefore so is the whiskey. Try one of the small batch or single barrel like Booker. I recently got a bottle of Forty Creek Whiskey but I think it is Canadian but it is very smooth. Personally they can keep everything Tennessee in Tennessee.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I believe the water is better in Kentucky therefore so is the whiskey. Try one of the small batch or single barrel like Booker. I recently got a bottle of Forty Creek Whiskey but I think it is Canadian but it is very smooth. Personally they can keep everything Tennessee in Tennessee.
I just don't understand the affection for Jack or other Tenn whiskeys. I have always wanted to do the Bourbon tour in KY. Looks like a dream trip.:) I'm going to try the Booker and go from there.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
is the olive crucial to the martini? IOW, if I ordered a martini with no olive, do I have a martini or just a glass of gin? I loathe olives, so there's no need for me to waste one by them serving it to me.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
is the olive crucial to the martini? IOW, if I ordered a martini with no olive, do I have a martini or just a glass of gin? I loathe olives, so there's no need for me to waste one by them serving it to me.
With the name Martini being so bastardized I'm fairly certain you can have it any way you want from an apple slice to a Zebra hoof.

Normally a gin or vodka martini has a green olive or a black olive or a cocktail onion or a lemon twist in the glass.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
With the name Martini being so bastardized I'm fairly certain you can have it any way you want from an apple slice to a Zebra hoof.

Normally a gin or vodka martini has a green olive or a black olive or a cocktail onion or a lemon twist in the glass.
like NY, I've wanted to try a true 'martini' but (a) I don't like olives (b) I'm not sure how I'd like an onion in my drink. But what'll it hurt to try it just once? Maybe the olive perfectly accents the drink and I'll enjoy it..........

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
like NY, I've wanted to try a true 'martini' but (a) I don't like olives (b) I'm not sure how I'd like an onion in my drink. But what'll it hurt to try it just once? Maybe the olive perfectly accents the drink and I'll enjoy it..........
Having your first real martini is like your first sip of gasoline. The bold flavor of a green olive is just enough to get the taste of gasoline out of your mouth so you can exhale. I like a martini or two at the end of the day when no one expects me to function rationally till bedtime.

Caution: Do not drink a martini close to an open flame.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Having your first real martini is like your first sip of gasoline. The bold flavor of a green olive is just enough to get the taste of gasoline out of your mouth so you can exhale. I like a martini or two at the end of the day when no one expects me to function rationally till bedtime.

Caution: Do not drink a martini close to an open flame.
heh....I've some brown, 15 year 'shine in my freezer. Starts smooth like Woodford Reserve until it hits the back of your tongue, then it burns like all Hades down to your toes. Same warning applies to that stuff!

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
Today (June 19th) is National Martini Day....enjoy responsibly..:pDT_bot:
Happy Hour is Friday ay my favorite Martini Bar, "The Tilted Table". So I celebrated a day late but without knowing. Afte 2 Dirties I call the est. Twisted Table. Here their finest vodka is pulled from bottles located in a freezer, the Taps are covered with frost.

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Saw a cool trick on Iron Chef America the other night. In "Battle Olive" each contestant made a martini - Michael Symon made a "filthy martini" with chunks of black olive in it...not very appealing. The challenger made a cool version of dirty martini.

She took a plastic sword skewer (like you've seen at parties/bars) and skewered one olive. She placed it in an ice tray, filled the tray with olive brine and froze it. What she ended up with was an olive popscicle about 1 inch square, which she put into a standard vodka martini. This served two purposes: keeping the drink cold and allowed the drinker to control how dirty they wanted their martini. Very classy touch, and something that could be easliy done at home.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Saw a cool trick on Iron Chef America the other night. In "Battle Olive" each contestant made a martini - Michael Symon made a "filthy martini" with chunks of black olive in it...not very appealing. The challenger made a cool version of dirty martini.

She took a plastic sword skewer (like you've seen at parties/bars) and skewered one olive. She placed it in an ice tray, filled the tray with olive brine and froze it. What she ended up with was an olive popscicle about 1 inch square, which she put into a standard vodka martini. This served two purposes: keeping the drink cold and allowed the drinker to control how dirty they wanted their martini. Very classy touch, and something that could be easliy done at home.
I saw that too. Looked pretty cool..

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

That's genius. I have frozen fruit, even flowers, inside ice cubes for drinks but never thought of olive brine.

One of my favorites is an olive stuffed with blue cheese in a martini. I found olives pre-stuffed and want to report these things suck. Make them as you go and they are much, much, much better. The onion stuffed olives, my second favorite, are fantastic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.