Filet Mignon and Barley Stew with Spinach

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
cut the beef into bite size pieces. Combine the fllour, salt, and pepper on a plate, and then roll the beef in the seasoned flour.
In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil, and brown the beef, but keep rare in center. Remove beef to bowl. Quickly add onion and carrot to the hot pan and scrape the brown bits. As soon as the onion is golden, add the tomato paste and cook 2 0r 3 minutes.
Add the barley, stock and thyme, and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to simmer and cook for 30 or 40 minutes till barley is tender. Add beef to pan and reheat. Stir in the spinach. Serve as soon as the spinach is just wilted and the beef is hot.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
That really sounds good. Barley is one of those things I don't use. The couple of times I have tried to use it the barley became like paste and thickened everything in the dish like too much flour. Barley like biscuits are on my taboo list but whenever I see it on a menu I usually order it like "Oh man they got barley that's what I'm getting" ;)

I can see someone cringing when they see the pound of beef tenderloin used in this dish but I love it. Good ingredients = good eats and I even make burgers from tenderloin on special occasion but mixed with sirloin or chuck.

I bet you could use several other greens such as kale, mustard greens or swiss chard and it would turn out just as good.

I might give this a try. Do you drain and rinse the barley after it soaks?

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
That really sounds good. Barley is one of those things I don't use. The couple of times I have tried to use it the barley became like paste and thickened everything in the dish like too much flour. Barley like biscuits are on my taboo list but whenever I see it on a menu I usually order it like "Oh man they got barley that's what I'm getting" ;)

I can see someone cringing when they see the pound of beef tenderloin used in this dish but I love it. Good ingredients = good eats and I even make burgers from tenderloin on special occasion but mixed with sirloin or chuck.

I bet you could use several other greens such as kale, mustard greens or swiss chard and it would turn out just as good.

I might give this a try. Do you drain and rinse the barley after it soaks?
I drained, but did not rinse mine-- turned out good.. I also made the Beef barley soup recipe that you posted on here a while back, and that was very good. I love beef barley soup.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I drained, but did not rinse mine-- turned out good.. I also made the Beef barley soup recipe that you posted on here a while back, and that was very good. I love beef barley soup.
I'm glad your beef barley soup turned out good, mine was a bit under par. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.