Lost Odyssey (XBox 360)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Anyone planning to get Lost Odyssey for Xbox 360?

I'm a fan of Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, etc.) and it seems to have gotten good, but not spectacular, reviews.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I'm going to try and give it a rental.

From what I've read, it is VERY story heavy while keeping with traditional Japanese RPG gameplay elements. So, if you enjoy cutscenes, this if the game for you. :)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm going to try and give it a rental.

From what I've read, it is VERY story heavy while keeping with traditional Japanese RPG gameplay elements. So, if you enjoy cutscenes, this if the game for you. :)
Cut scenes aren't my favorite part of this genre, but I can live with them.
What is really important to me is the game mechanics. Turn based is good.

I especially liked:

Materia system in FF7 (not the summons, but the other combos)
Exploiting AP/Overdrive in FFX and finding ultimate weapons
Gambits in FF12.

I like discovering unusual uses for things, and using them to my advantage. I like games that reward creativity.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
It's on my "to get" list, that's for sure. There isn't much on the horizon for traditional turn-based RPGs, but the big one is Final Fantasy XIII (which is supposed to usher FF's return to turn-based. Thank God for that.) The other big one is Fable 2, which I have been waiting on for so long, I'm starting to wonder if Lionhead is ever going to get it finished.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Far future. :) I wouldn't bet on FFXIII coming out this year.

MS will likely be releasing a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360 this year FWIW.
I'm in no rush.

I've been spending quite a bit of money lately. Since the fall I have bought a new electric range, over-the-range microwave, a mountain bike, a chest of drawers, quite a bit of art framing, and was fairly generous this year with Christmas gifts. I am now putting off the "non-compelling" purchases for a little while. My list currently includes a 1080p TV and a Blu-Ray player, along Lian-Li's new Armorsuit computer case and a 1000W power supply. Oh, and building a flowerbed on the back patio.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
I'm in no rush.

I've been spending quite a bit of money lately. Since the fall I have bought a new electric range, over-the-range microwave, a mountain bike, a chest of drawers, quite a bit of art framing, and was fairly generous this year with Christmas gifts. I am now putting off the "non-compelling" purchases for a little while. My list currently includes a 1080p TV and a Blu-Ray player, along Lian-Li's new Armorsuit computer case and a 1000W power supply. Oh, and building a flowerbed on the back patio.
A 1000w power supply? Why the hell do you need that much juice? Are you running two graphics cards in SLI or something? And if so, why buy a PS3 in the first place? If I had a choice between a Falcon mark V or a PS3, I'll take the computer hands down.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
Far future. :) I wouldn't bet on FFXIII coming out this year.

MS will likely be releasing a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360 this year FWIW.
I don't know, FF XIII may get released in Japan this year with a spring 09 release stateside. It should, anyway. And I can't imagine MS making a BR drive for the 360. I mean really, for what purpose? I wouldn't think they would want to help their nearest competitor increase their user base by promoting the BR format. That just doesn't make sense. (Then again, we are talking about Microsoft.)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
A 1000w power supply? Why the hell do you need that much juice? Are you running two graphics cards in SLI or something? And if so, why buy a PS3 in the first place? If I had a choice between a Falcon mark V or a PS3, I'll take the computer hands down.
The 550W PSU I am currently using is pretty much fully taxed. I have a single ATI video card, 4 hard drives, and several USB devices. If I upgrade CPU or add another video card for Crossfire, or implement a water cooling system, then I will need more power. If I do replace my PSU, I do not want to have to do it again for a long time, and PC power requirements have been increasing quickly and steadily in recent years, so I'm looking for a good, high wattage unit. At the moment, the PSU I am looking at, the Ultra X3, is priced about the same at 800W and 1000W. There's a big jump in price for 1600W and 2000W PSUs, and those are indeed overkill.

I answered the question "Why a PS3?" earlier in the thread: for Blu-Ray and Final Fantasy XIII.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't know, FF XIII may get released in Japan this year with a spring 09 release stateside. It should, anyway. And I can't imagine MS making a BR drive for the 360. I mean really, for what purpose? I wouldn't think they would want to help their nearest competitor increase their user base by promoting the BR format. That just doesn't make sense. (Then again, we are talking about Microsoft.)
The format war is over. Blu-Ray won, so there's no point in clinging to HD-DVD anymore. After Sony's Betamax failed, Sony went on to produce VHS players. I would be surprised if Microsoft did not offer an Xbox360 Blu-Ray drive to satisfy consumer demand for Blu-Ray, and to reduce the PS3's advantage over the Xbox with respect to Blu-Ray.

Addendum:

I remembered Monday night that I had a 10% off coupon from Best Buy that was about to expire, and stopped in to pick up Lost Odyssey. They had sold out their whole stock, a full column of display space. Instead, I got the Lego Star Wars saga (6 episodes).

Last edited:

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I also want to pick it up as it seems to be about the only RPG worth a flip on xbox 360, I've had a great time with Devil May Cry 4, but I've been waiting for a decent RPG to come out.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
I also want to pick it up as it seems to be about the only RPG worth a flip on xbox 360, I've had a great time with Devil May Cry 4, but I've been waiting for a decent RPG to come out.
Mass Effect.

Eternal Sonata is interesting/trippy and Blue Dragon is decent for a JRPG as long as the animation style doesn't bug you.

Queasy1

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2003
Atlanta, GA
For the same reason they released a HD DVD drive? So that the 360 can play HD movies? It makes sense to me when you consider their main competitor is offering Blu-Ray playback. Now they can say to their customers, "We give you the option of Blu-Ray playback as well. It is your choice on whether you want it or not."

They just need to price it competitively.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Mass Effect.

Eternal Sonata is interesting/trippy and Blue Dragon is decent for a JRPG as long as the animation style doesn't bug you.
Loved Mass Effect. I especially liked being able to fluidly stop and start the action to use special powers and change weapons. Party AI could use some work, and the planet exploration was a bit meh, but everything else was outstanding.

I'm playing Eternal Sonata right now, and while I have a few criticisms, some of those criticisms are things other people might enjoy. It's very linear, and some of the cut scenes are excruciatingly sappy (and long). I like the way they use light and dark areas of the battlefield to add "simple complexity" to the combat system, and the special moves available at the end of a big chain of hits are satisfyingly devastating. I didn't like being forced to play certain combinations of characters, and at times I found that they were short on healing power. Viola is such a good healer that it hurts to play without her if the enemies are challenging. I also found the lack of camera control and world map a bit annoying.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Mass Effect.

Cool, I'll have to check them out as well.

Just picked up Lost Odyssey last night. Played it for a couple of hours last night.
So far the only real thing that bugs me is the dreams are all text . I wouldn't have minded cut scenes and whatnot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.