How Do I Find A Wii?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
So I played the Wii the other day, and as the proud owner of an Xbox 360, I've come to realize that the former is about the coolest thing ever made, even considering the latter.

And now I want one. I mean I really want one. But of course everywhere is sold out, and the only place I can find them is on Ebay and similar sites. I don't do that sort of thing -- bad experience, don't ask, okay well let's just say that it led directly to me being a proud member of Tide Pride -- so I'm not going that route.

Does anyone know how I can go about getting a Wii through a traditional retail outlet?

Last edited:

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Call Wal-Mart. Daily. A friend and I each bought one last summer doing this. It took us each less than 2 weeks to get them. IIRC, my local Wal Mart got shipments on Tuesdays and Thursdays I believe, so I went on those days. When he got his they only got 4. The day I got mine, they had received like 10.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Call Wal-Mart. Daily. A friend and I each bought one last summer doing this. It took us each less than 2 weeks to get them. IIRC, my local Wal Mart got shipments on Tuesdays and Thursdays I believe, so I went on those days. When he got his they only got 4. The day I got mine, they had received like 10.
Is there any way you can get on a waiting list or anything of the sort?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
There are 88 new Wiis on Amazon, 13 used.
If you don't trust shopping on Amazon, I don't have any more advice.
I saw those earlier, but they start out at $379.99 before you even consider shipping. Correct me if there has been a price increase, but the last time I saw them in stores they were under $300. I'd rather not pay a fairly big mark-up if I can get it cheaper otherwise with a little work.

Kinda like George Constanza's theory regarding his refusal to pay for parking and prostitutes. "Why should I pay when, if I apply myself, I might be able to get for free?"

:biggrin:

Last edited:

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
$300? I paid like $259 without tax at Wal Mart. As for a waiting list, no there wasn't one, but when my friend called and found his they had JUST arrived and had not been put on the shelf yet. They told him If he could get there in 30 minutes they would keep one behind the counter, but after that it would be on the shelf with the others.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
$300? I paid like $259 without tax at Wal Mart. As for a waiting list, no there wasn't one, but when my friend called and found his they had JUST arrived and had not been put on the shelf yet. They told him If he could get there in 30 minutes they would keep one behind the counter, but after that it would be on the shelf with the others.
That is what I was thinking on the price. Unless they have jacked the prices up big-time -- and I have seen nothing to indicate that -- the ones on Amazon are a good $120.00 or more above retail price. I'm not going to pay $400 for something I could get for $280 with a little work.

Again, I'll apply myself and try to save the $100+.

Did you try any other places aside from Wal-Mart?

Last edited:

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
We tried the usuals (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.). This was like the first week of July, and My friend knew someone that worked at Best Buy and all he could tell us was a new Best Buy opening near us at the end of the month would have like 30 for their grand opening, and he didn't know when his store was getting anymore in. Wal-Mart seemed to be the only store that knew when they would be there.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That is what I was thinking on the price. Unless they have jacked the prices up big-time -- and I have seen nothing to indicate that -- the ones on Amazon are a good $120.00 or more above retail price. I'm not going to pay $400 for something I could get for $280 with a little work.

Again, I'll apply myself and try to save the $100+.

Did you try any other places aside from Wal-Mart?
I guess I can't be bothered to extensively hunt for deals, whether it's that I value my time, or that I just don't need anything bad enough to have to have it right away at a price under market equilibrium.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks for the tips everyone, and I must now say that I'm the proud owner of a Wii!

I had to be up early this morning anyway, so I got up around 5:30. I called the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, and asked for the electronics department. On about the fourth call, I finally got the person in the electronics department to actually pick up the phone -- typical WM customer service -- and I asked here if they had a Wii. She responded in a very matter-of-fact yes, and I asked her if she would hold it for me, and she said she would. I went downstairs, hopped in my car and drive out and picked it up.

Sufficed to say, it worked out great. All told -- including tax and a two year service plan -- the total was just a tad under $290. I figure that is at least $100 cheaper than I could have gotten it via Amazon / Ebay / etc. even without considering the value of the service plan or the cost of shipping and handling.

I hooked it up when I got off work, and my neighbor and I played for a few hours. It was a ton of fun, to put it mildly.

Has anyone bought any of the special attachments for the Wii, and how is Madden on the Wii?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for the tips everyone, and I must now say that I'm the proud owner of a Wii!

Sufficed to say, it worked out great. All told -- including tax and a two year service plan -- the total was just a tad under $290. I figure that is at least $100 cheaper than I could have gotten it via Amazon / Ebay / etc. even without considering the value of the service plan or the cost of shipping and handling.
You do realize you now have the ability to parlay that bit of effort into about an $80 profit every time you do it ;)

playball31580

Suspended
Aug 19, 2005
Wish I went to Tuscaloosa for college

I had to be up early this morning anyway, so I got up around 5:30. I called the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, and asked for the electronics department. On about the fourth call, I finally got the person in the electronics department to actually pick up the phone -- typical WM customer service -- and I asked here if they had a Wii. She responded in a very matter-of-fact yes, and I asked her if she would hold it for me, and she said she would. I went downstairs, hopped in my car and drive out and picked it up.

I hooked it up when I got off work, and my neighbor and I played for a few hours. It was a ton of fun, to put it mildly.

Has anyone bought any of the special attachments for the Wii, and how is Madden on the Wii?
Congrats on getting the Wii!! I did the exact same thing you did, but much earlier...a little over a year ago! :p_green:No need to get special attachements for the Wii as I don't have anything. I don't know about Madden on the Wii, but I would get Super Mario Galaxy if I were you. Definitely do get Mario Kart Wii when it comes out sometime this spring as it comes with a Wii Steering Wheel. Actually, do get a classic controller and Wii Points card if you want to purchase games from Virtual Console which I think is great strategy by Nintendo, downloading games from NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Turbo Grafx, and Neo Geo...a lot of favorites to choose from back in the old days.

bamacrush

Nov 21, 2005
Super Mario Galaxy and Guitar Hero III are my family's favorite Wii games. We got the guitar attachment with GHIII which is definitely the way to go. Otherwise, We just use the basic remote and nunchuk. I would definitely make sure you have 2 of each, so you don't have to share!!! We got our Wii the same way by stalking Walmart.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
I've got one that I'll sell if anyone wants one. I'm in the B'ham area and can meet anywhere reasonably close.

Wii
2 Wiimotes
2 nunchuks

Games:
Wii sports
Wii play
Super Mario Galaxy

2 year warranty @ Toys R Us

$360 (originally like $388 for everything except Mario Galaxy which was bought separately)

about 1 month old/barely used

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.