How many here are excited about GTA IV?

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
I wasn't too excited for the longest time, but now that the release date is finally approaching, I am finding myself looking forward to it. I hated San Andreas (the whole hip-hop culture is repellant to me in every way) but I have high hopes for this one. Anybody else getting excited? (And which is your favorite? Mine is Vice City.)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I liked how big San Andreas was. I also liked a lot of the lines that people say when you threaten them or commit horrific crimes in front of them.

But two of my favorite lines that I think of or repeat out loud sometimes were from Vice City:

"Nice medallion."
Said by a female pedestrian, just walking around.
Remembered or repeated when I see someone who looks like they belong in the 70s

"I'm 95 for Chrissake"
Said by an old lady when you attack her.
Remembered or repeated when someone does or says something characteristic of an elderly person.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
I believe it's scheduled for release on the 29th of this month. Count me in the group that's anxiously awaiting it. I've had it pre-ordered for months now. :)
Ah yea i forgot to preorder it.... I wonder when the cutoff is at gamestop. I've only ever preordered two games (NCAA 08 and COD 4) and those were months and months in advance

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Just get one at Wal-Mart when it's released.
Much easier than preordering, and you'll get it just as fast.
I only pre-order when I find a good deal, like I did with GTA IV. I don't mind waiting a couple extra days if it means saving a good bit of $. :)

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
Just get one at Wal-Mart when it's released.
Much easier than preordering, and you'll get it just as fast.
Not always. Wal-Marts down here are never in a hurry to put games out on release day. They might have 300 copies, but will only put out so many at a time. When they run out in the display case, they might not refill it until the middle of the night. I hate Wal-Mart for this very reason. The service is terrible and you aren't saving any money. I try to support smaller retail outlets with my game purchases.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Not always. Wal-Marts down here are never in a hurry to put games out on release day. They might have 300 copies, but will only put out so many at a time. When they run out in the display case, they might not refill it until the middle of the night. I hate Wal-Mart for this very reason. The service is terrible and you aren't saving any money. I try to support smaller retail outlets with my game purchases.
Shrug. I live in Birmingham.
I used to preorder things, but it was never particularly reliable.

Sometimes online preorders would SHIP on release day, and then you'd wait while other people who just picked it up in a store were already playing.

Stores like EBGames or GameStop would have a limited number and if you weren't early enough, you wouldn't get on the release day list.

I picked up World of Warcraft from Wal-Mart at midnight on release day, along with about two other gamers, and a bunch of people who were there for the new season of Seinfeld which came out at the same time.

My girlfriend preordered one of the Harry Potter books from Books-A-Million, but they closed the door in her face when we got there a bit late to pick it up (We had some other plans than night and intended to pick it up afterward) We ended up just going to the Wal-Mart across the street who had like 2000 copies in stock, and that was the end of our preordering.

Wal-Mart's the best in the world at getting products to consumers.

CrimsonCable

All-American
Oct 19, 1999
Pensacola, FL USA
Wal-Mart's the best in the world at getting products to consumers.
That may be the case up there, but you can forget walking into a Wal-Mart at midnight and getting something on release day in Pensacola. I've tried it a couple of times, and I always get a look from the person behind the counter that that would probably be the same if I suggested they take their clothes off and run a few laps around Peter Ruckman's Bible College. At least one woman was honest with me one night when I asked why they couldn't get NCAA 07 out on the shelves at midnight. She told me that they knew they would sell, and could care less if they sold out at midnight or by lunchtime; her paycheck wouldn't change either way. She then proceeded to go back to doing what she was doing when I so rudely interrupted: holding the counter down with her butt just in case it decided to fly off on its own.:mad2:

CrimsonCT

Suspended
Dec 5, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
The game definitely fun, and I'm not usually a big fan of these types. Looks gorgeous, and the jokes add a great atmosphere. I've never played the earlier ones in the series, so I don't know how it compares.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
The game definitely fun, and I'm not usually a big fan of these types. Looks gorgeous, and the jokes add a great atmosphere. I've never played the earlier ones in the series, so I don't know how it compares.
How did you get a copy this early?

CrimsonCT

Suspended
Dec 5, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
After playing a few more hours instead of studying, I can say pretty assuredly that y'all are going to be very happy with this on Tuesday. It's kinda addictive. I can't exactly test multiplayer right now, but it sounds like it will be pretty awesome.

How did you get a copy this early?
It requires you to flash the DVD-ROM firmware on your 360. The mods would probably frown on me going into any more detail than that.

DD, if I'd seen this sooner, I would've just invited you over to my place so you could play a bit.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
Playing with fire a little huh? That's cool, more power to ya.

If all the reviews are any indication GTA IV might be one of the best video games in a very long time if not all-time. Just about everywhere I've seen it reviewed it's getting perfect scores. We'll see I guess, I can't wait to get it!

BigAl5833

All-American
Oct 15, 2005
Muscle Shoals, AL
I picked it up at midnight and played untill about 2 this morning. I am not dissapointed at all with this game. I cant wait to get off work and try multiplayer out.

Haven't tried multi-player yet, but I'm real impressed with the level of detail in this game. The producers basically made a carbon copy of the 5 Boroughs in New York, but tweaked it just enough to be different.

The driving, though, takes some getting used to as you'll pay if you put the hammer down and refuse to use the brakes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.