Thai Coconut Chicken Soup

I

It's On A Slab

Pour milk, chicken broth, canned chicken, ginger, salt in pot and heat thoroughly. Serve immediately.

I

It's On A Slab

I found this recipe in last Sunday's Parade magazine and adapted it by adding chicken meat to the soup.

I was mainly interested in simple, easy-to-cook stuff for minimalist camping recipes.

One comment from last Saturday's campfire mess was that the coconut made it almost like a dessert.

This would probably work for an appetizer as well. As it is, it will feed two hungry people, or about 4 folks who are waiting for the main event.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
This is a soup I am fond of. My wife and I are what are called "Grazers" meaning we normally eat several small meals each day. We start with a fairly good breakfast and end the day with our main meal around seven unless we have some planned meal during the day. We keep a pot of soup on the stove just about every day and make enough for two days at a time. I make Thai Coconut soup probably six times a year using various ingredients. Where my recipe varies is like this.

Thinly slice the white part of two stalks of lemon grass, chop 2 hot chili peppers, slice a 2" piece of ginger and slice one large shallot. Place all this in a saute pan coated with just a bit of olive or grapeseed oil and stir often for about 3 minutes. Give a cup of mushrooms a medium chop then add the mushrooms, a quart of chicken stock and 1/4 cup of fish sauce called nam pla (three crab brand is best). Let this reduce a little then whisk in coconut milk and the juice of 2 limes.

I like this with shrimp or crab. My wife likes it with leftover chicken white meat or white meat fish such as snapper. It is most awesome made with conch or abalone and lobster ain't bad either.

Sometimes I add a bit of julienne carrot or small diced zucchini. If you have leftover rice put a little in your bowl. This is a great soup, light and satisfying, simple yet can be elegant.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.