Grilled Amberjack with Artichoke Mushroom Sauce

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Cook mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Blend in flour, salt and pepper; add cream, sherry, cheese and bacon bits. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and artichokes. Set aside and keep warm. Cut fish into serving-size portions. Brush fish with lemon juice and grill over medium-hot coals or gas elements until fish flakes easily. Serve fillets with warm sauce.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I must try this and I think anyone on the Mediterranean Diet should look at it also. I have amberjack so fresh we have to hold it down on the grill to keep it from jumping back in the water. :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
This recipe sounds wonderful but I am not familiar with Amberjack, it is a mild fish? Any suggestions on a substitute for Amberjack?
Amberjack is similar to tuna but is a member of the jack family the same as Permit. The flesh is lighter in color than yellow fin tuna but firm like most oily fish and has a bloodline like other strong swimmers. You can make the fish milder by soaking in milk before cooking. Most people, including me, will trim out the bloodline before cooking. We normally grill this fish as it holds up well on the grill and can stand turning without breaking up. I have heard some people call this a trash fish but they are an uneducated bunch. ;)

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Amberjack is similar to tuna but is a member of the jack family the same as Permit. The flesh is lighter in color than yellow fin tuna but firm like most oily fish and has a bloodline like other strong swimmers. You can make the fish milder by soaking in milk before cooking. Most people, including me, will trim out the bloodline before cooking. We normally grill this fish as it holds up well on the grill and can stand turning without breaking up. I have heard some people call this a trash fish but they are an uneducated bunch. ;)
I've heard that as well, but my best friend's husband is a charter captain and he got me "hooked" on this wonderfully tasting fish (and I hate most fish due to their "fishy" taste). Amberjack and grouper are staples for me now.:)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.