Link: School Fined After Ump Beaned During Game

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
CARTERSVILLE, Ga. -- State athletic officials fined Stephens County High School $1,000 and placed the baseball program on "severe warning status" Wednesday for beaning an umpire during the state championship game last weekend.

Beaned Ump

You be the judge!

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I had already seen that video. Note the reaction of the first base umpire (the one that you can see at the beginning of the video). As soon as the ball hit the plate ump, he started toward the mound. The third base coach immediately started toward the third base ump and said something. They both obviously thought that it was intentional. The coach of the team that threw the pitch tried to say that it was just a mix-up between the pitcher and catcher, that the catcher was looking for a curve and the pitcher threw a fastball. I don't buy that. If the catcher is good enough to be catching for a team in the state finals, he should have been able to react in a manner to at least try to get a mitt on the ball. He didn't. He never moved toward the ball. It is obvious that he "ducked" the pitch.

Finally, note the reaction of the fans in the background. They were apparently the fans for the team on defense. At least they were wearing their colors. They were cheering after the play. What great sportsmen they have at that school.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
It's bad enough to take a shot to the mask on a foul ball (Jake & I both have a lot of experience at that). Not only does it hurt like hell right away, it can give you a mild case of whiplash in the neck that lasts for a few days.

I've never seen a catcher expecting a curve to *dive* down and forward on a pitch up and in. His coach knew better. And the catcher and the pitcher are liars.

BTW, Gordon College had invited the offending catcher to try out as a walk-on next fall. After this incident, the coach withdrew that offer.

Actions have consequences.

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
That is just ridiculous! :mad2: I wouldn't mind seeing the umpire suing the pitcher and the catchers family in a civil suit. That was just a terrible thing, and there is absolutely no doubt the catcher wasn't trying to catch the ball. Sad state of affairs, and I can't believe the principal hasn't taken steps to punish the coaching staff.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
It's bad enough to take a shot to the mask on a foul ball (Jake & I both have a lot of experience at that). Not only does it hurt like hell right away, it can give you a mild case of whiplash in the neck that lasts for a few days.
How right you are Jref. In fact, I took one this Saturday afternoon. The headache finally went away late Saturday night and my neck is still sore.

Sad state of affairs, and I can't believe the principal hasn't taken steps to punish the coaching staff.
Welcome to the world of officiating. When I first started officiating many years ago, officials were respected. Now we are, at best, objects of scorn and ridicule. Don't believe me? Go to a baseball game and see how the fans react when an umpire gets hit. Generally you get laughter or smart remarks. If the fans are in a really good mood, you get applause.

crimson_blood

All-American
Jul 22, 2006
Helena, AL
That is just ridiculous! :mad2: I wouldn't mind seeing the umpire suing the pitcher and the catchers family in a civil suit. That was just a terrible thing, and there is absolutely no doubt the catcher wasn't trying to catch the ball. Sad state of affairs, and I can't believe the principal hasn't taken steps to punish the coaching staff.
SCHS is my alma mater...the whole thing's just been a huge black eye on the community. There was a thread about this on the baseball board too. The pitcher is a Martin, and his dad is an overly-involved parent who is also a college coach himself. The pitcher's brother was selected #14 in the MLB Draft this year. The brother had just been rung up by the ump the inning before. A side note - the ump had called 8 of the past 9 SC batters out on strikes. SC was also getting blown out by 6-7 runs. There's no doubt that it was intentional and Coach Gosnell's a moron for saying anything to the contrary.

There was talk of a lawsuit for a while...but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
SCHS is my alma mater...the whole thing's just been a huge black eye on the community. There was a thread about this on the baseball board too. The pitcher is a Martin, and his dad is an overly-involved parent who is also a college coach himself. The pitcher's brother was selected #14 in the MLB Draft this year. The brother had just been rung up by the ump the inning before. A side note - the ump had called 8 of the past 9 SC batters out on strikes. SC was also getting blown out by 6-7 runs. There's no doubt that it was intentional and Coach Gosnell's a moron for saying anything to the contrary.

There was talk of a lawsuit for a while...but I don't know if anything ever came of it.
Thanks for the update, CB.

It's probable that this incident was an isolated one instigated by the Martin brothers, and will not have a lasting negative reflection on the school or baseball team as a whole.

From reading press reports, the GHSAA, the principal and the school board acted in a prompt and appropriate manner to see that it doesn't recur.

I'd bet that SCHS will be one of the best places to umpire baseball next season!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.