Entre: Stuffed Mirliton

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
1. melt butter in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion, celery, peppers and basil. Stir 4-5 minutes till onions are clear looking. While this is happing spoon out the mirliton meat discarding the extra liquid. Save the mirliton meat.

2. give the shrimp a quick rough chop, not too much, and add to the pan with the onion, celery, pepper mixture.

3. as soon as the shrimp begin to turn pink add the reserved mirliton meat, salt and pepper, any hot sauce you might need (I use 6-8 shakes). cook for 15-20 minutes breaking up any large pieces of the mirliton you might find.

4. When most of the liquid is absorbed fold in the crab and 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs. Careful not to break up the crab chunks.

5. stuff the Mirliton shells with the stuffing mixture, top with the rest of the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese top with a pat of butter and more chopped parsley.

6. place Mirlitons in a baking dish and bake 30 minutes or till golden brown on top.

Serve one as a side dish or two as an Entre'.

Variations: Use only shrimp; substitute scallops or lobster for the shrimp or crab; use only crab or lobster; add 1 cup corn.

pcolatide

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2004
Snug Harbor, Florida
I see those things in my grocery every time I go but have never eaten one. They are sold as chayotes in my area. I put this one down as one to try in the future. I like to try new things and like to vary my vegetables as much as possible. Do they taste like any vegetable that I might be familiar?

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I see those things in my grocery every time I go but have never eaten one. They are sold as chayotes in my area. I put this one down as one to try in the future. I like to try new things and like to vary my vegetables as much as possible. Do they taste like any vegetable that I might be familiar?
They taste like a cross between a squash and a potato to me. We sometimes just boil them and mash them like potatoes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.