Forgotten Recipes

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
We also gathered to make several relishes and pickles and jellies/preserves. Good times. :)
Come on up to Virginia in another month; I have a small garden plot but heavily productive. I make a good 2 dozen pint jars of relish and salsa, each and put up another 3 dozen quarts of tomatos, all off of 10 tomato plants and a dozen pepper plants. 1 mound with 3 squash plants and I can freeze 6 gallons bags of squash, that I don't have time to enjoy right off the vine. My first tomato is turning now, size of my fist and I've gathered 10 cucumbers, plus two servings of squash. "Farmer David"!!!!

BigTex

All-SEC
Sep 19, 2002
Spring, Texas
Reading all of these make me miss the old days. Back when I used to spend part of the summer at Grandma's. Dinner might be fried chicken, cream corn, black eyed peas and cornbread. Lunch might have been a sliced tomato sandwich with mayo. People would gather round the dinner table and talk about life. There were no ipods , no video games , no youtube.

Coach Bryant was still with us. 10 win seasons were the norm.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Come on up to Virginia in another month; I have a small garden plot but heavily productive. I make a good 2 dozen pint jars of relish and salsa, each and put up another 3 dozen quarts of tomatos, all off of 10 tomato plants and a dozen pepper plants. 1 mound with 3 squash plants and I can freeze 6 gallons bags of squash, that I don't have time to enjoy right off the vine. My first tomato is turning now, size of my fist and I've gathered 10 cucumbers, plus two servings of squash. "Farmer David"!!!!
A couple of things people might not know about me is I own a couple of John Deere tractors, raise a 2 acre garden and raise chickens.

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
Hey bayoutider, is 2 John Deere tractors enough machinery for a 2 acre garden plot? :eek2:

Speaking of the old days, in the summer I worked on my uncles hog farm. Breakfast would consist of a platter of fried eggs, biscuits and gravy, leftover fried chicken or porkchops, and unpasterised milk that was 40-50% cream.

Lunch was a selection of cold cuts, lemonaide and watermelon or honeydews from the garden.

He also insisted on steak, baked potato and steamed vegtables 3 nights a week for supper.

The only bought food was flour, milk and cold cuts. He traded hogs for sides of beef. I ate like one of the hogs, but didn't gain weight. Working a hog farm was not a fun thing, but it did convince me to get an education.

For fun-shooting jack rabbits out of the back of a pickup at night.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Hey bayoutider, is 2 John Deere tractors enough machinery for a 2 acre garden plot? :eek2:

Speaking of the old days, in the summer I worked on my uncles hog farm. Breakfast would consist of a platter of fried eggs, biscuits and gravy, leftover fried chicken or porkchops, and unpasterised milk that was 40-50% cream.

Lunch was a selection of cold cuts, lemonaide and watermelon or honeydews from the garden.

He also insisted on steak, baked potato and steamed vegtables 3 nights a week for supper.

The only bought food was flour, milk and cold cuts. He traded hogs for sides of beef. I ate like one of the hogs, but didn't gain weight. Working a hog farm was not a fun thing, but it did convince me to get an education.

For fun-shooting jack rabbits out of the back of a pickup at night.
I have a LT145 for the lawn and a 2320 for everything else. The 2320 isn't big even smaller than the ford 8N it replaced but it is easier to use. We are still doing some building and rebuilding so the tractor is handy.

The worst job I ever had was working for my uncle one summer. He raised chickens, lots and lots of chickens. He had five houses that handled about 50,000 chickens each and I got to clean them out.

I remember breakfast at grandma's house and having eggs, biscuits and gravy, fried chicken or porkchops and fresh milk but grandma did churn the milk for that homemade butter and she pasturized the milk on the stove before putting it in pitchers in the refrigerator. I still remember the grassy taste of fresh milk and how different real butter tasted. Ojf course there were plenty of homemade jellies for those biscuits that didn't get covered with gravy.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I worked cleaning out chicken houses 3 summers.....nasty. My grandmother lived in Georgia and when we went there to visit it was always an all day feast. She would get up at 430 and start making biscuits eggs gravy and grits and sausage. then by the time all the dishes were done, she would start making lunch. I remember fried pork chops. big thick ones, with a big ring of fat all the way around it Green lima beans, cornbread, fried potatoes. This was all on the table around 11 am. Then round about 3 or 4 she would say.. guess I better get started on supper. We would tell her that she didnt need to cause we were all stuffed, but she wouldnt hear it. I dont think food will ever taste that good again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.