Florida Signee Dee Finley Does Not Qualify

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Dee Finley, the only top prospect in the state last year that we did not sign, did not qualify academically.

If you recall, Finley lived about five minutes from Jordan-Hare Stadium, but frankly never showed much interest in the Tigers. He committed to Florida fairly early in the process, and ultimately signed with the Gators.

Anyway, it seems that Mr. Finley has come up a couple of core courses short of qualifying to play this season. Right now the plan is for him to spend the Fall semester at Milford Prep in upstate New York and then enroll at Florida this January.

Previously, Finley had said that he had qualified, but that turned out to not be the case.

GOABamaFan

Scout Team
Dec 20, 2007
Sorry to hear that about him, but its good news for us. The kid was a hard hitter anyone else think Auburn fans are going to say this is why they didn't get him.

crimson_blood

All-American
Jul 22, 2006
Helena, AL
Sorry to hear that about him, but its good news for us. The kid was a hard hitter anyone else think Auburn fans are going to say this is why they didn't get him.
Yeah because we know their signees ALWAYS qualify academically and have the utmost character about them. Dee Finley just would not fit in at Auburn and they never really went after him very hard anyway. Riiiiiight.

No actually the goobers are stating he is planning to "open up his recruitment" again and they feel very strongly about getting him this time around.

If he didn't want into the barn the first time, why would he want to go now? The barners expect to get their tails whipped by Meyer, Richt, Saban, etc. in recruiting these days and are reaching for every excuse in the book to make themselves feel better.

Last edited:

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
I believe Finley was always going to go out of state. He committed early and there was absolutely zero chatter about him on the recruiting sites.

Crimson Hawk

Hall of Fame
Dec 16, 2001
North Alabama
No actually the goobers are stating he is planning to "open up his recruitment" again and they feel very strongly about getting him this time around.

If he didn't want into the barn the first time, why would he want to go now? The barners expect to get their tails whipped by Meyer, Richt, Saban, etc. in recruiting these days and are reaching for every excuse in the book to make themselves feel better.
Technically, this does leave his recruitment "open", though I doubt the goobers have much of a chance at him. He will probably remain solid to UF, but you never know. First thing he has to do is get his grades in order. Would love to have him at Bama.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
If Finley does open his recruitment back up next year or the year after I bet Bama gets after him. He is a very talented and tough safety. I still cringe when I think about that violent hit he put on Julio Jones in the UA AA game in Orlando. To Julio's credit he bounced right back up, which is not an easy thing to do after a collision like that.

Capt. Jack

Suspended
Jun 20, 2006
AU's excuse last year was that they didn't need him because they had gotten Michael McNeil the year before.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Can someone explain to me how this happens. Don't you have to take core courses? How do you get around not taking them?
I don't know the specifics but it was probably a case of him not passing them, rather than not taking them. Of course I have heard of cases where prospects did not even take the required courses due to not being given the right info by HS administrators, guidance counselors, teachers, coaches, etc. I doubt that is the case here.

bamafanatic33

Aug 22, 2007
The requirements have changed over the last few years and in some cases the prospects high school requirements to graduate are less extensive. For example, some high schools only require 1 year of foreign language while NCAA requires 2 years. The math, science and English requirements for graduation can differ also.

BamaMan12

Scout Team
Feb 11, 2005
Huntsville,Alabama
www.myspace.com
That's a funny quote LOL! You should click on my Youtube. I have the Video of the 93 Sugar Bowl. Not just any Sugar Bowl Clips. I will put this way thanks to Michael Ventre he has become famous in this video I made. You will see & laugh your butt off! Michael Ventre what a "BIAS" Moron!

"In the second quarter I saw Torretta look over at me and he froze for a second. I saw fear." John Copeland on Gino Toretta '93 Sugar Bowl"

I didn't see that one coming.

Finley was one of the very few prospects last year that we did not get that I was hoping we would get.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.