Appetizer: Hog Head Cheese EZ & Traditional recipes

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Put all ingredients (except parsley and 1 bunch onions) in large pot, cover with water and simmer till meat is falling off bones.
Remove meat from pot and pick from bones. Discard anything you think doesn't belong in your mouth especially the whole cloves.
Chop the meat into small pieces. If you use a grinder use the largest setting and if you use a processor do not process till you have a pate'. Leave the meat with some texture.
Return the meat to the liquid and simmer till it starts to thicken then add the second bunch of chopped green onion and all the chopped parsley.
Pack the meat into loaf pans or casserole dishes and press down. I like to wrap bricks in foil and place them on top, not too many just enough to press a bit.
Refrigerate to set the gelatin created in the liquid from boiling the bones.
Serve cold with crackers and hot sauce.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Re: Hog Head Cheese

If anyone would like a more rustic and true to the original recipe let me know and I will post it in this thread but it is very labor intensive and takes a lot more time.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

OLD SCHOOL HOG HEAD CHEESE aka SOUSE MEAT

Can be made using a hog head, cow head or calf head with different tastes. Boiling the head is what produces the gelatin which holds this dish together.

INGREDIENTS FOR THE STOCK:
1 hog head - remove all organs and split in half
4 lbs Boston butt
4 pigs feet
3 large onions quartered
4 stalks celery quartered
1 head garlic cut in half to expose all the cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

MAKING THE STOCK:
Place all ingredients in large stock pot. I suggest a 30 qt or larger. Cover all ingredients with 6" water and bring to a rolling boil. This will take a while on your stove top so if you think you might actually do this invest in a turkey frying rig or a big crawfish boiling pot and a high pressure jet burner, it will cut your boiling time tremendously.
After water comes to a rolling boil reduce heat to a simmer and let cook covered 2 1/2 hours or till meat is tender and falling off the bones.
Skim all the foam off the top of the water from time to time while meat is cooking.
At end of cooking sample stock and adjust seasoning.
Remove meat from pot and debone. Throw away anything you don't think belongs in your mouth. Grind meat using coarsest blade in your grinder (chili or larger = 1/4")
Strain and reserve poaching liquid.

INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHEESE:
4 packages unflavored gelatin
cooked ground pork
reserved poaching liquid
2 cups minced onions
2 cups minced celery
2 cups minced red bell pepper
1/4 cup minced garlic
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
2 cups sliced green onions
1 cup chopped parsley

MAKING THE CHEESE:
After the poaching liquid has been strained it should be allowed to sit for 2 hours. An oil will form on top and should be ladled off, all of it.
Dissolve gelatin in 1 cup of cooled poaching liquid.
Place the ground pork, 2 cups minced onion, 2 cups minced celery, 2 cups red bell pepper and 1/4 cup minced garlic in large pot. Cover with 1/2" of the poaching liquid and bring to a rolling boil. Keep an eye on the pot adding stock to retain volume as you lower heat to simmer and cook another 25-30 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper. You might want to add red pepper or hot sauce if that is to your liking at this time.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups green onions, 1 cup chopped parsley and dissolved gelatin.
Ladle mixture into five 4X9 loaf pans, cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
If you want a more dense texture weight the cheese down with another loaf pan filled with water or partially filled with water.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.

OLD SCHOOL HOG HEAD CHEESE aka SOUSE MEAT

Can be made using a hog head, cow head or calf head with different tastes. Boiling the head is what produces the gelatin which holds this dish together.

INGREDIENTS FOR THE STOCK:
1 hog head - remove all organs and split in half
4 lbs Boston butt
4 pigs feet
3 large onions quartered
4 stalks celery quartered
1 head garlic cut in half to expose all the cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

MAKING THE STOCK:
Place all ingredients in large stock pot. I suggest a 30 qt or larger. Cover all ingredients with 6" water and bring to a rolling boil. This will take a while on your stove top so if you think you might actually do this invest in a turkey frying rig or a big crawfish boiling pot and a high pressure jet burner, it will cut your boiling time tremendously.
After water comes to a rolling boil reduce heat to a simmer and let cook covered 2 1/2 hours or till meat is tender and falling off the bones.
Skim all the foam off the top of the water from time to time while meat is cooking.
At end of cooking sample stock and adjust seasoning.
Remove meat from pot and debone. Throw away anything you don't think belongs in your mouth. Grind meat using coarsest blade in your grinder (chili or larger = 1/4")
Strain and reserve poaching liquid.

INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHEESE:
4 packages unflavored gelatin
cooked ground pork
reserved poaching liquid
2 cups minced onions
2 cups minced celery
2 cups minced red bell pepper
1/4 cup minced garlic
Salt & Black Pepper to taste
2 cups sliced green onions
1 cup chopped parsley

MAKING THE CHEESE:
After the poaching liquid has been strained it should be allowed to sit for 2 hours. An oil will form on top and should be ladled off, all of it.
Dissolve gelatin in 1 cup of cooled poaching liquid.
Place the ground pork, 2 cups minced onion, 2 cups minced celery, 2 cups red bell pepper and 1/4 cup minced garlic in large pot. Cover with 1/2" of the poaching liquid and bring to a rolling boil. Keep an eye on the pot adding stock to retain volume as you lower heat to simmer and cook another 25-30 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper. You might want to add red pepper or hot sauce if that is to your liking at this time.
Remove from heat and stir in 2 cups green onions, 1 cup chopped parsley and dissolved gelatin.
Ladle mixture into five 4X9 loaf pans, cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
If you want a more dense texture weight the cheese down with another loaf pan filled with water or partially filled with water.
My grandma made this back in the day. Thanks for reminding me of the smell. :) Very distinct smell and sound from that PressureCooker scared the hades out of me.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I make two pans of this every year using the new school recipe, no head just butts. Most of the time I serve it no one knows what it is and rave about it. Even the pate' lovers like this stuff served on a good cracker. I keep a little hot sauce vinegar to top it off if you want a little extra zing. Two pans does two parties as a 9X11 pan is easily consumed.

Soon I start making my new batch of Cinnamon Kahlua. This years Christmas basket will be bottle of homemade Kahlua, bottle of homemade vanilla, bottle of homemade hot sauce, sugar cookies.

BigCountry

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2006
New Hope, Alabama
Mmmmmmmmmmm! I love some souse! Especially the spicy one! Like Chitlins, this is a recipe for the garage or outside. Yankees call it Scrapple I think, but they eat it too, at least my Grandma did!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.