Vanilla Extract

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
cut the 3 beans in half then split lengthwise. Stuff the beans in the bottle and fill with liquor of choice.

You can control the flavor and intensity with the type of beans you use and the kind of liquor. 80 proof vodka is the tamest of the lot. 100 proof has a bit more kick. Some of you will like the flavor of dark rum. Brandy and scotch will be an acquired taste or specialty vanilla but its not unpleasant. Bourbon and Tequila are good choices also. Everclear is pretty extreme but so are some cooks.
Madagascar vanilla beans also known as Bourbon or Reunion vanilla beans have the traditional flavor we all love.
Mexican vanilla beans have been inferior for the last couple of decades in both size and flavor but this years crop is a pleasant surprise. Mexico, should they continue to raise this high quality bean, could take the top spot again.
Tahitian vanilla is smaller, plumper, has more beans in each pod, a more subtle flavor yet a more fragrant smell.

A good idea is to mix your beans such as one Mexican, two Madagascar and one tahitian bean in each bottle. If you want to make a larger batch use a Fifth Bottle and use 9 beans split lengthwise.

After filling your bottle let the beans soak for 6 weeks before using. Try to shake the bottle once a day or several times each week. You can strain the liquid into another bottle then refill the bottle with the beans in it for another future batch. It will take a while before the beans are worn out and you have to start adding new beans.
Remember, vanilla should be stored in a dark bottle.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
ttt

All you bakers need to try this. I have a couple of bottles I keep adding to that are going on 3 years old. I have made some more today some to give to friends and some to keep. My old bottles are bourbon and brandy base, the new ones are rum and vodka base.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.