Question: An old gas grill?

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
I have a worn out a gas grill and am wanting to know would it be okay to turn it into a charcoal grill. I am thinking about gutting it and re-painting the grill to make it a Bama grill. Any suggestions?

The Duke

All-American
Oct 25, 2006
Texas
I have a worn out a gas grill and am wanting to know would it be okay to turn it into a charcoal grill. Any suggestions?
Disconnect the gas...;)

If you do decide to tackle this project...have fun and like BT stated, post some pics of the finished piece.

Last edited:

Bama in VA

Scout Team
Mar 1, 2005
I converted an old gas grill to a charcoal grill about 20 years ago. It worked out well. I wish I had thought about turning it into a Bama grill.

Be sure to post pictures.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
OK... Since you asked...
I had a Char-Broil gas grill that I wasn't too happy with.

It seemed like even the lowest gas settings were too high. So I removed the tanks and burners, found an old grate to place across the bottom, lined it with aluminum foil and dropped in the charcoal.

Now I can use one side for cooking and one side for warming. I can use it for grilling or for smoking by just dropping in a little moist hickory. My food cooks slower, more evenly and it even tastes better too.:)

Last edited:

XXL TideFan

Suspended
Dec 7, 2002
I have taken to making a fire with some hardwoods in my starter

Wait for the flame to die out a grill/smoke away. I like it better than charcoal.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
not that this is new information, but I went to my neighbor's Saturday night. He's a Texas boy and grills with nothing but hickory. My gawd.....

I'm a gas grill guy, so it's a treat for me when someone cooks on a real grill.

We had asparagus dipped in olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt, and cooked over hickory smoke.

We had jalapenos gutted, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and cooked over hickory smoke.

We had ribeyes, done up however he does them, cooked over hickory smoke.

On top of the Texas toast, salad, baked potatoes, beer, wine, margaritas and 15-year likker I was a stuffed individual.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
not that this is new information, but I went to my neighbor's Saturday night. He's a Texas boy and grills with nothing but hickory. My gawd.....

We had asparagus dipped in olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt, and cooked over hickory smoke.

We had jalapenos gutted, stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon and cooked over hickory smoke.

On top of the Texas toast, salad, baked potatoes, beer, wine, margaritas and 15-year likker I was a stuffed individual.
And why wasn't I invited?

I use nothing but wood in my offset smoker. I use mostly oak and add other things like hickory, apple and pecan. I hate mesquite and don't even bother with it, my wife hates it also besides there is no mesquite where I live which is a good thing

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN

damn Anthony...I'm just down the street from you too...and I wasn't invited! :conf2::conf2::conf2:

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
damn Anthony...I'm just down the street from you too...and I wasn't invited! :conf2::conf2::conf2:
we still need to watch that game together at some point this season....my wife is having a family baby shower on the 13th, which is the wku game....maybe I'll buy the game and we can watch it at my place?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
And why wasn't I invited?

I use nothing but wood in my offset smoker. I use mostly oak and add other things like hickory, apple and pecan. I hate mesquite and don't even bother with it, my wife hates it also besides there is no mesquite where I live which is a good thing
Yeah, mesquite just dries things out too much. I'm wondering if my gas grill would handle hickory wood. Lay some in there, light them with the propane, turn off the propane and grill like a man. May not work.....or it might......

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
we still need to watch that game together at some point this season....my wife is having a family baby shower on the 13th, which is the wku game....maybe I'll buy the game and we can watch it at my place?
Could sound like a plan...my brother made hotel reservations last year for the WKU game...he is a Bama fan but my nephew goes to school @ WKU...but we didn't get tickets when they went on sale....his son knows the FB coach...so hopefully we will get tickets thru him...if not, we definitely need to hook up to watch it!

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Could sound like a plan...my brother made hotel reservations last year for the WKU game...he is a Bama fan but my nephew goes to school @ WKU...but we didn't get tickets when they went on sale....his son knows the FB coach...so hopefully we will get tickets thru him...if not, we definitely need to hook up to watch it!
my buddy is a wku alum and may want to go down there, so I'll have to sort all of that out. Mama may "prefer" that I stay in town, which I will be forced to do if she feels that way!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.