Cornbread

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Preheat oven to 375.
Mix butter, sugar and eggs with electric mixer until well-blended.
Sift flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter/sugar/egg mixture. Add buttermilk and creamed corn. Mix well.
Place 2 tbsp. butter in a large cast-iron skillet (I used a 9-incher and it was completely full after cooking - a larger one would be fine). Place skillet in oven for five minutes for butter to melt and skillet to heat up.
Remove skillet and pour batter into skillet. Return to oven for 35 minutes or do toothpick test to see if done.
**If you don't have a skillet, you could use two cake pans. Just put 1 tbsp. butter in each and divide batter evenly. Cornbread won't be as thick if you do that, so cut your time a little bit, maybe 30 minutes.
**Next time I make this I will use a 10-inch skillet. If you do use a larger skillet, remember to cut back your cooking time a little bit since the cornbread won't be as thick.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Funny story.

Back in the early 70's I was hungry for some cornbread and didn't have a clue how to make it. I had cornmeal and buttermilk but that was about it. I called a friend of mine's wife since she made good cornbread to ask her to talk me through it. She got me past the bacon drippings in the skillet preheated in the oven while I mixed the other ingredients. She told me how long to bake it in the oven and hung up.

Well............I poured the batter in the skillet and thought that ain't gonna be enough so I quickly broke more eggs, measured more cornmeal, flour, milk and baking soda and added that to the skillet. After 40 minutes the cornbread wasn't done. I figured our ovens must be different and kept cooking and cooking and cooking. The cornbread got bigger and bigger and bigger till I had this huge cornbread muffin growing out of the skillet. It was eatable but it sure did look strange. Judy got a big laugh out of my tale when I told her what happened.

Love the Ping

All-SEC
Jun 15, 2005
Tell me about the bacon drippings. I'm assuming you cook bacon in the skillet and the let the drippings serve as a substitute for your butter (in this recipe), and place it all in the oven?

How much bacon?

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Tell me about the bacon drippings. I'm assuming you cook bacon in the skillet and the let the drippings serve as a substitute for your butter (in this recipe), and place it all in the oven?

How much bacon?
Use enough bacon drippings to coat the inside of the skillet you cook the cornbread in. You can also put about 3 slices of bacon in the skillet or 3 pieces of salt pork and as you preheat the oven with the skillet in it the fat will render out. Swish the pork fat around the sides and remove the meat. You can crumble the meat to make cracklin' cornbread which is a good thang too.

Any good Southerner has a coffee can or some other container to save bacon grease. :)

A Funny true story.

My wife was born and raised in Miami, well actually Hialeah (she's Cuban) and I'm from Huntsville. Well when we got married, we lived in Alabama...naturally! She had never experience southern food but quickly fell in love with my moms cooking and soon discoverd the value of keeping a jar of bacon drippings on hand. One time her sister (who has never been off concrete in her whole life) came to visit. She was helping in the kitchen one evening and came across the drippings, looked at my wife and said with the most serious expression...."Don't you think you should throw out this peanut butter? It looks like it's spoiled ". HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA. It did happen to be a Jif jar :biggrin:

Last edited:

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
My ex wife is a New Yorker. It took a few good arguments before she finally stopped throwing out my can of bacon grease.

A Funny true story.

My wife was born and raised in Miami, well actually Hialeah (she's Cuban) and I'm from Huntsville. Well when we got married, we lived in Alabama...naturally! She had never experience southern food but quickly fell in love with my moms cooking and soon discoverd the value of keeping a jar of bacon drippings on hand. One time her sister (who has never been off concrete in her whole life) came to visit. She was helping in the kitchen one evening and came across the drippings, looked at my wife and said with the most serious expression...."Don't you think you should throw out this peanut butter? It looks like it's spoiled ". HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA. It did happen to be a Jif jar :biggrin:

aden

Suspended
Jan 30, 2005
citronelle ala
If you like tomato sandwiches,try this. Make your cornbread the consistentcy of pancake batter,fry like pancakes,slice open and put mayo and tomato slices,with salt and pepper, its better than fresh white bread.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
If you like tomato sandwiches,try this. Make your cornbread the consistentcy of pancake batter,fry like pancakes,slice open and put mayo and tomato slices,with salt and pepper, its better than fresh white bread.
I made something like that for appetizers for a party last year and the tray was devoured in minutes.

BamaSteve999

1st Team
Oct 22, 2004
Virgil's cornbread is good - for Manhattan. It wouldn't do to good around here, I'm afraid.

I will have to say Virgil's kept me going for the year I was in NYC. Well that and the brand new Krispy Kremes that were opening there.

Brett, were you with us the night we went to Virgil's with Ringo and his parents and our cab driver almost got arrested? Good times.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Cornbread isn't a sacred dish at our house. You might find just about anything added to the batter.

Cream corn
shredded cheese
jalapeno peppers
onion
green onion
poultry seasoning
shredded chicken, pork or beef
sausage
sugar - a couple times each year I get to craving me some of that Texas cornbread cake

I also like making pancakes from the batter, hushpuppies, corn sticks, corn muffins, I dont do corndogs.

I like it plane and simple

2 cups self rising corn meal (Martha White)
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
Buttermilk

Pour oil in a cast iron skillet, swish it around to coat the sides and place it in the oven. Set oven to 450 degrees and and allow oven/skillit preheat together. When oven preheat signal sounds, start preparing remaining ingredients. Let skillit remain in the oven.

Do these things quickly

Use approximately one cup of buttermilk - more or less depending on your preference. Break the egg in buttermilk and mix well. Pour buttermilk/egg into cornmeal and mix only until well blended.

Remove skillet and pour hot oil corn meal. Mix quickly just until blended. Pour mixture into skillet, shake to settle mixture, and place in oven on top rack. Cook for 20 minutes

A slice of onion, some pintos and tea ....your set

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Tribe this is the one I use, it doesn't even have the egg in it.

Preheat oven to 450, grease a cast iron pan and place in the oven, mix 2 cups SR cormeal,1 1/2 cups buttermilk and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Remove hot pan from the oven, pour in the cornbread mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.