Cornbread

Honden

1st Team
Jun 13, 2009
I like it plane and simple

2 cups self rising corn meal (Martha White)
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 large egg
Buttermilk

Pour oil in a cast iron skillet, swish it around to coat the sides and place it in the oven. Set oven to 450 degrees and and allow oven/skillit preheat together. When oven preheat signal sounds, start preparing remaining ingredients. Let skillit remain in the oven.

Do these things quickly

Use approximately one cup of buttermilk - more or less depending on your preference. Break the egg in buttermilk and mix well. Pour buttermilk/egg into cornmeal and mix only until well blended.

Remove skillet and pour hot oil corn meal. Mix quickly just until blended. Pour mixture into skillet, shake to settle mixture, and place in oven on top rack. Cook for 20 minutes

A slice of onion, some pintos and tea ....your set
add a few spoons of mayo to the mix

BigCountry

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2006
New Hope, Alabama
I've had one of these forever. Best bacon drippings can ever! Has the metal strainer built in, keeps the fat pristine. These are getting hard to find at yard sales and flea markets.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Virgil's cornbread is good - for Manhattan. It wouldn't do to good around here, I'm afraid.

I will have to say Virgil's kept me going for the year I was in NYC. Well that and the brand new Krispy Kremes that were opening there.

Brett, were you with us the night we went to Virgil's with Ringo and his parents and our cab driver almost got arrested? Good times.
Steve -

Just now saw this thread...

Yes. That was one of the funniest things I've ever experienced.

For those who weren't there ;)....

it was one of our first nights in NYC. Steve and our friend (Ringo) were @ NYU Law. Ringo's parents came to visit and took us to Virgils (some of best BBQ in NYC in Times Sq). Anyway, we took a couple of cabs from NYU to Times Square. Just as we're approaching Virgils, there were several firetrucks blocking the road. A firefighter told our cabbie to stop and the cabbie just went around.

The firefighters got in their truck and chased down our cab, stopped him, and pulled the driver through the window.

We were startled (it being one of our first nights living in the city) and weren't sure what to do. The firefighter told us that we had just enjoyed a free ride.

Not sure what happened to the cabbie, but i bet it wasn't pretty!

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
Funny story.

My wife and I had been dating for several months when I came to the decision that I wanted her to be my wife, so I proposed and she accepted. We were doing the long distance relationship. I would leave work on Friday and drive to spend the weekend with her, get up early Monday and head to work or vice versa. Over the course of the next couple of weeks we discussed plans for saving our money and plans about our career paths. We decided we would begin to cook at home and not eat out as much as we had during the dating stage. She is a southern girl but not a SOUTHERN girl. Her being in the kitchen is like a fish out of water. Anyway on the way to meet the love of my life one weekend, late on Friday afternoon she informs me she has Pintos (out of the can), sour kruat and sausage, mashed poptatoes(from a box), and cornbread for me when I get there. I couldn't wait, my tastebuds were on the edge of my tounge. An hour or so later after thinking about my cornbread topped with pintos, I bit into my first fork full. To my suprise it wasn't like mommas, or grandmommas, or great-grandmommas. It was really really sweet. I made a comment or two adn asked her to explain how she made it. She got the Jiffy Sweet Cornbread Mix box out of the garbage can and told me she thought her mom always added sugar to it, but she couldn't get in touch with her mom so she guessed and added another cup of sugar. I expressed my displeasure for the stuff and told her that wasn't cornbread, what she had made was a terrible cake. She cried a lot. She quit cooking. She still married me. I do all the cooking in our house, that was 12 years ago. I still love my city-girl. She still doesn't cook.

Here is my version

1 1/2 Cups of Self Rising Cornmeal (White Lily)
1/4 AP Flour
1 Large Egg
1 1/4 cups of Buttermilk
1/4 cup of Vegetable or Canola Oil
Dash of Salt
Dash of Fresh Ground Pepper

Mix together pour into hot skilled greased with 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Bake 400 degrees until brown. (20-25 minutes)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.