Question: What do you fix when you're alone?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm no stranger to cooking for two or for a dozen, but I'm now in a situation that brings up an interesting question. For the past several days, Mrs. Reb has been visiting with her sister who lives a couple of hours away. A family member is in the hospital so she's taking care of that, and that leaves me here alone. Let me tell you, it's no fun cooking for only myself, and I'd like to hear what kind of meal some of you plan and fix when you know you're going to be eating alone.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
1/2 as much :wink:

I usually go with a salad , seasoned(under my profile) or baked potato with either a nice grilled burger steak or t-bone style chop . A nice 20 to 25 minute meal :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Steak & potato
cold boiled shrimp and salad
burger
big cold cuts sandwich, pickle and chips
clean out the leftovers in the fridge

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Steak & potato - Done that
cold boiled shrimp and salad - I've already had a big salad, sans shrimp. But with everything else I had on the plate, I didn't miss the shrimp.
burger - Done that
big cold cuts sandwich, pickle and chips - Done that - twice
clean out the leftovers in the fridge - That was my Sunday meal

Looks like she'll be home tonight, and maybe things can get back to normal. :)

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Logan's - Roadhouse salad with steak, draught beer
Cracker Barrel - blackened catfish, 'maters, double greens, sweet tea
Pancho's- local owned Mexican joint - shredded chicken salad or single fajitas, margarita
Sonic - Butterfinger blast
Taco Express - local owned Mexican joint; nachos or quesadilla...enough leftovers for two extra meals.
Samboli's - local owned authentic Italian; sausage pizza or lasagna

That's all there is in town.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Chinese takeout is always a good choice. I also buy those frozen meatballs from sams club. Put a pot of Ragu on the stove, bring it to a simmer and put some meatballs in it. Makes a great meatball sub with some provolone cheese and melted under the broiler.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Pork chops in the frying pan and finished in oven, corn on the cob baked in the husk @350 for 30 mins, and potato salad from the grocery store. Maybe add some other easy thing if it's obvious, ie tomato, onion, or hot pepper. All in about 30 mins with almost no effort whatsoever.

And you can season pork chops about a zillion ways--hot sauces, bbq sauces, vinaigrettes, coca cola, etc.

BTW this is what I'm cooking right now at this moment, but with squash with s + p and olive oil in tin foil with the corn as well as a spinach salad. Wish me luck in finishing it all! :D

I

It's On A Slab

Depends on my options:

• First, I hit the freezer to see if there is anything in the leftovers container that goes well with a cold beer.
  • In lieu of already cooked food, I head to the grocery store, and pick up a couple of already-pressed burgers....sprinkle a little salt, pepper, and minced onion, grill me a cheeseburger. Also pick up a can of BBQ beans at the store, or some chips.
  • If I'm really lazy:
- Dump a can of Cream of chicken soup in a pot, add a can full of water and a cup of instant rice, bring to a boil, thrown in a can of chicken....take off burner and let it sit for 8-10 mins. Instant camp dinner......and it, too, goes well with a cold one.

XXL TideFan

Suspended
Dec 7, 2002
Banana & peanut butter is pretty darned good but I like mine better with Mayo on white bread. I also like pineapple, cheese & mayo sandwiches.
The banana & PB is a craving sort of thing. Most of the time it is with mayo instead of PB. The pineapple & mayo is an old childhood favorite........never tried it with cheese.

I

It's On A Slab

Banana & peanut butter is pretty darned good but I like mine better with Mayo on white bread. I also like pineapple, cheese & mayo sandwiches.
PB and Banana is a lunch staple for me. Toasted bread, the PB melts. Good stuff.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I can travel 100 feet from my back door and pick all the bananas I want. You would think I would have naner puddin, nanner bread, nanner cream pie, nanner sammages, nanner smoothies every day but I don't. Guess when it's so easy to get you just don't crave it as much.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.