Pressed Cuban Sandwiches

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

XXL TideFan

Suspended
Dec 7, 2002
Any good bread can be substituted for the Cuban. I tend to use Italian and I change up the mustard. I also use a generous amount of cayenne pepper and often add various peppers. Whatever floats your boat at the time. I don't have a sandwich press, so I use two heavy cast iron skillets and a couple of bricks wrapped in aluminum foil. Get the skillets screaming hot in the oven (bricks also) and put the sandwich in one put the other skillet on top and mash the snot out of it. Place the bricks in the top skillet to help hold it down. In about 5 minutes you'll have a sandwich that will blow your friends away and it was made to go with beer. You may also want to try a couple of tablespoons of sauerkraut in the sandwich.

Note: Construction of a sandwich is an important ingredient in the overall experience. I have shown it to my wife that you can take the exact same ingredients and build the sandwich 3 different ways and it will taste differently each time.

1 loaf of Cuban bread

1/2 lb Sugar Cured Ham Sliced Thin
1/2 lb Pork Roast

1/2 lb Swiss Cheese Sliced
Mustard

Butter
1 Dill Pickle Sliced thin

For a real Cuban Sandwich, do not add anything else.

Cut Cuban bread into 7 to 8 inches long sections and slice lengthwise.

Spread mustard on both halves and pile the ingredients, for each sandwich, as follows (do not alter the order): 1 slice dill pickle, 1/3 of the ham, 1/3 of the roast pork, 1/3 of the Swiss cheese and top with another slice of dill pickle. Close sandwich and spread a bit of butter on each side of the bread crust.
Place on sandwich press. Heat until the cheese begins to melt.
Serve while still warm.

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

A lot similar to my Cubans.

Except I usually use provolone cheese, and also use pastrami( or sometimes pepperoni) with the shaved ham and pork roast.

Always accompany it with black beans and rice.

A big favorite in my house.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
While this may be good, it's not Cuban.;) You two need to come to Tampa and I'll hook you up with real Cuban food. It's one of the many reasons why I love living here.:)

MasterShake

All-SEC
Feb 19, 2005
Dothan, Alabama, United States
While this may be good, it's not Cuban.;) You two need to come to Tampa and I'll hook you up with real Cuban food. It's one of the many reasons why I love living here.:)
I was down in the giant sludge pile they call Ybor City, for a Bachelor party weekend, back in April when I had the greatest Cuban in my life, better than one I had in little Havana a year prior.

I

It's On A Slab

I got the recipe from a Cuban grocer in Miami.
http://icuban.com/food/cuban_sandwich.html

Yup, yours is pretty darn close to authentic.

Their roasted pork is a lot similar to the marinade I use in Arroz con Pollo....the sour orange juice is the big ingredient. And Cuban bread isn't the easiest to find unless you live near a large Cuban population.

Cubans are very simple and easy to make, but damn good.

The man has it right. This is the correct recipe for an authentic Cuban sandwich. I'm married to a Cuban from Miami and her parents were born in Cuba. This sandwich get's their seal of approval :biggrin:. To appreciate it, you MUST have fresh Cuban bread. Crisp on the outside and like a cloud on the inside....yum!

Honden

1st Team
Jun 13, 2009
The man has it right. This is the correct recipe for an authentic Cuban sandwich. I'm married to a Cuban from Miami and her parents were born in Cuba. This sandwich get's their seal of approval :biggrin:. To appreciate it, you MUST have fresh Cuban bread. Crisp on the outside and like a cloud on the inside....yum!
Cuban Bread Recipe

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
What's not Cuban about it? I've had a lot of Cuban sandwiches in Orlando and that's pretty much the ingredients in all of them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.