Poll: You Make the Call - Aug 25

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Let's crank it up for another season of YMTC! We always have a good time with these and they sometimes lead into very good discussions on the rules of HS football.

I will give the question on Monday mornings and probably come back on Tuesday with the official ruling. Remember - these are situations for high school games. NCAA and NFL rules are not the same in many areas. For those of you who are HS officials, be a good sport and let some of the posters have some time to think and post their answers before giving an expert opinion.

I always seem to do this first one, but it is always leads to good discussion and is kinda funny as well. I am going to make it a two-parter:

* A forward pass is thrown by Team A. It strikes:
a) the umpire; or
b) a streaker who is running across the field.:biggrin:
The ball bounces high in the air and is intercepted by Team B. What is the ruling for a and b?

bamaump8

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 9, 2008
Mt. Olive, Alabama
We actually had "a" happen the other night during the jamborwee game Thrusday night. I will wait and see what others say before I post what the call was.:biggrin:

CrimsonJag

All-American
Apr 9, 2001
Jacksonville, FL
In the NFL and NCAA it would, I believe, be a live ball.

But in this instance, my best guess would be dead ball, loss of down.

LOL - I've been out of high school too long to know many of the obscure rules anymore. :)

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
A) Live ball
B) Treat as inadvertent whistle. Since it happens while a pass is in midair, replay down

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
In situation A im going to say the ball is still in play.
In situation B im going to say the play is dead, cause who is going to want the ball after it has hit a naked man.....LOL:biggrin::eek2:

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Good thinking. In the first situation, the ball is live. The official is part of the playing field, if you will. In the second situation the ball becomes dead immediately and will be considered like an inadvertant whistle. In the case of a forward pass in flight, we would have a replay of the down.

Check back next Monday for the next YMTC.

bamaump8

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 9, 2008
Mt. Olive, Alabama
Good thinking. In the first situation, the ball is live. The official is part of the playing field, if you will. In the second situation the ball becomes dead immediately and will be considered like an inadvertant whistle. In the case of a forward pass in flight, we would have a replay of the down.

Check back next Monday for the next YMTC.
Are you an official Tidehawk? Or do you just have the rule books with you? What you got was correct. Now, as for what happened in my game. The pass was for a TE going across the middle. It hit the umpire and went straight into the air. The TE dove and caught it for the first down. The other caoch was going crazy trying to tell us that it should be a dead ball.

Last edited:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
The TE dove and caught it for the first down. The other caoch was going crazy trying to tell us that it should be a dead ball.
Guess what he would have been arguing if one of his DBs had intercepted the pass?

That's why they pay us the big bucks -- to get the calls right that "everybody knows" we got wrong.

bamaump8

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 9, 2008
Mt. Olive, Alabama
Guess what he would have been arguing if one of his DBs had intercepted the pass?

That's why they pay us the big bucks -- to get the calls right that "everybody knows" we got wrong.
I here ya Jref...By the way, what association are you with? If you don't mind me asking.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Are you an official Tidehawk? Or do you just have the rule books with you? What you got was correct. Now, as for what happened in my game. The pass was for a TE going across the middle. It hit the umpire and went straight into the air. The TE dove and caught it for the first down. The other caoch was going crazy trying to tell us that it should be a dead ball.
I am - have been with the Central Alabama FBOA for 12 years.

bamaump8

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 9, 2008
Mt. Olive, Alabama
I am - have been with the Central Alabama FBOA for 12 years.
I here ya. I am with Birmingahm FBOA (BFOA). This is my third year with them. If you get a playoff game up here this year, let me know. I will try and make it. Always enjoy meetin other Bama fans. Do you do any other sports? I am also an umpire for Alabama Umpires Association. Been doing that for 5 years now, but calling baseball for a total of 16 years.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
I here ya. I am with Birmingahm FBOA (BFOA). This is my third year with them. If you get a playoff game up here this year, let me know. I will try and make it. Always enjoy meetin other Bama fans. Do you do any other sports? I am also an umpire for Alabama Umpires Association. Been doing that for 5 years now, but calling baseball for a total of 16 years.
I only do FB - I would love to do baseball, but can't with my two boys playing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.