HD TV Help

TideFan40

1st Team
Nov 7, 2006
Athens, AL
not sure where to post this, but it does relate to ps3 as well as regular and hd programming.....I have a Phillips 1080p 42" LCD TV. I have noticed on my tv (as well as several other brands) that while watching, the picture seems to expand for a few seconds and then contract while watching (kind of hard to explain). Is there something I've done wrong in the picture settings or is this common? any help is greatly apprciated.

RolltideFanz

All-American
Sep 26, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
not sure where to post this, but it does relate to ps3 as well as regular and hd programming.....I have a Phillips 1080p 42" LCD TV. I have noticed on my tv (as well as several other brands) that while watching, the picture seems to expand for a few seconds and then contract while watching (kind of hard to explain). Is there something I've done wrong in the picture settings or is this common? any help is greatly apprciated.
Is it during say, a movie, or does it seem to expand/contract during commericals or something? Or maybe when it's flipping from one thing to another (movie/TV show/commercial)?

My first inclination is to suggest that as the picture is changing, it's because whatever is coming on is in a different aspect ratio -- if it's doing that during a movie or something where that shouldn't happen, then maybe it's something else.

It definitely shouldn't be doing it during a steady program of some sort, like a movie where the aspect ratio typically stays the same throughout.

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
I think Fanz hit the nail on the head. If its in the middle of a broadcast, or while the ps3 is on, thats definatly not normal. But you said several other brands as well. Where at? A friends house, or the store? Because I know that mine doesn't do it, or not that I've noticed.

Last edited:

CBag4Bama

1st Team
Sep 22, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like you have an Auto Aspect Ratio option. There should be a way to turn it off. My mom and dad have a 47" Philips and I've seen it do it. Look in your options and see if you can change it.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I have a philips and mine does the same thing.. it stretches and contracts to fill the screen. hit format on your remote and make sure its not on auto.. if you dont like it. Sometimes the tv gets confused if there is black in the picture and thinks its letterbox and tries to compensate.... but is normal.. there is nothing wrong with your tv

TideFan40

1st Team
Nov 7, 2006
Athens, AL
Sounds like you have an Auto Aspect Ratio option. There should be a way to turn it off. My mom and dad have a 47" Philips and I've seen it do it. Look in your options and see if you can change it.

That did it.....You are a life saver....I was goin crazy...Thanks. RTR

RolltideFanz

All-American
Sep 26, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Just make sure if you turn that off, that you don't mind watching things in a way they might not have been shot. Some people don't mind, but it drives me crazy!

I don't have an 'auto...' on mine, but whenever HD content is coming, I have four options: zoom, stretch, (something), and Dot by Dot, which is a broadcast in its native resolution, or AR. If I move it to anything else, I won't see the "expand and contract", but I can tell when something in the AR is amiss, because people's heads get all egg-shaped and stuff.

I guess I'm just a nerdy purist -- I want to see my stuff how it was shot; especially my movies. :)

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
Yup. We dont have HD cable where I live so all my cable is in 4:3. I can't stand to stretch the picture to 16:9, it looks stupid. I turn on the ps3 to watch HD stuff.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.