You Make the Call - Sep 15

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
The visiting team's offense is on it's on 1 yd line. Their running back is tackled so that part of the ball is outside the endzone, but the back point is breaking the plane of the gola line. What is the ruling?

BAMAJD323

Scout Team
Feb 4, 2006
Chelsea, AL
A good official would have spotted the ball all the way in, or all the way out. However, in this situation, I think it is 2nd down. Ball spotted at the half yd line.( making sure the ball is not touching the goal line coming out)

RTR:BigA:

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Safety. The ball has to be completely OUT of the end zone. It's the same way as a TD is awarded for the offense, if the nose of the football crosses the plane of the FIRST edge of the end line into the end zone it is a TD. That edge is the boundary that if any part of the ball is over it the ball is considered in the end zone.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
A good official would have spotted the ball all the way in, or all the way out. However, in this situation, I think it is 2nd down. Ball spotted at the half yd line.( making sure the ball is not touching the goal line coming out)

RTR:BigA:
I must disagree, JD - a good official spots the ball where it becomes dead, wherever that may be.
Since the ball becomes dead with part of the ball breaking the plane of the goal line (that is the front edge of the goal line), it is a safety. Like bamatex said, the ball must be completely out of the end zone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.