You Make the Call - Sep 22

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
4th and 8 for the offense on the opponent's 33 yd line. The QB throws a pass that ricochets off of an offensive lineman's helmet at the 25 yd line and is intercepted. The INT is returned to the 30 yd line. What should the officials do?

R

rolltidescott

My GUESS is that the intercepting team declines the ineligible receiver penalty and gets the ball at the 30?

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
I am going to agree with rolltidescott and guess the intercepting team can decline the ineligable receiver down field and take the int. But I wonder if tidehawk has thrown a tricky one at us this week.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I am going to agree with rolltidescott and guess the intercepting team can decline the ineligable receiver down field and take the int. But I wonder if tidehawk has thrown a tricky one at us this week.
You guys get partial credit. But there's more to it than meets the eye.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
You guys get partial credit. But there's more to it than meets the eye.
jref, you are right. There are actually two fouls on the play - ineligible downfield and illegal touching. The defending team will decline the penalty for ineligible downfield and keep the ball.

But what about the illegal touching? Illegal touching carries a 5 yd penalty and loss of down. If they declined this foul, it is Team B's ball at the 30 yd line. If they accept the penalty, it would be stepped off from the previous spot (33 yd line) and loss of down, meaning Team B would have the ball at the 38 yd line.

Guys, sometimes you might wonder why officials will group up and discuss fouls for a little while. Thsi situation is certainly sticky and would take a veteran crew and white hat to present the options to the offended team.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
TideHawk, I hate to be contrary but, based on the wording of the situation, I do not believe that you have illegal touching. Based on the situation, it appears that the contact with the lineman's helmet was accidental. If it was accidental, you would not have illegal touching. If the lineman did something that was intentional, you would. Either way, the defensive team will get the ball. The only difference is where they will get it.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
TideHawk, I hate to be contrary but, based on the wording of the situation, I do not believe that you have illegal touching. Based on the situation, it appears that the contact with the lineman's helmet was accidental. If it was accidental, you would not have illegal touching. If the lineman did something that was intentional, you would. Either way, the defensive team will get the ball. The only difference is where they will get it.
I'm not sure about this, and I'd like to look it up before it happens to me on the field. If the lineman were in or behind the neutral zone, I'd agree with you. But since he's in an illegal position downfield, I don't know that it matters. Similar to a scrimmage kick in flight hitting a K player -- it's still interference even if he doesn't know where the ball is.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Jref, I have to admit it, I cheated. I thought that my statement was correct but before I posted, I did look it up. Check out Case Play 7.15.13 Situation A.

I'm sure that some of you are thinking, "Holy Crap, what is he talking about?" In addition to the Rules Book, we officials have to study and know the Case Book. The Case Book has situations about the different rules with the correct ruling. I'll admit that I read some of the situations and wonder how in the world they came up with some of the rulings, but we have to go with them.

bamaump8

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 9, 2008
Mt. Olive, Alabama
Jref, I have to admit it, I cheated. I thought that my statement was correct but before I posted, I did look it up. Check out Case Play 7.15.13 Situation A.

I'm sure that some of you are thinking, "Holy Crap, what is he talking about?" In addition to the Rules Book, we officials have to study and know the Case Book. The Case Book has situations about the different rules with the correct ruling. I'll admit that I read some of the situations and wonder how in the world they came up with some of the rulings, but we have to go with them.
Smooth Jake. By the way, where you at this Friday? I will be at Tarrant against Columbiana. Got a bullet proof vest I can borrow?

Last edited:

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I have the annual grudge match between Greensboro and Hale County in Moundville. Two schools, same system, about 25 miles apart. It is always exciting. I had Tarrant in a playoff game against Straughn about 5 years ago. It was a great experience. Two great teams, two sets of excited fans. A cool, crisp fall night. Tarrant won by about 4 if memory serves.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
jake, I am with you. The games around this time of year, it starts to cool off and feel great. Makes you want to put on the pads and play yourself - almost. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.