Question: Hominy

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Do any of you cook this or is it something from the past. I'm asking because I haven't had Hominy in years but picked some up the other day at the store. I bought a can of white and one of yellow though I don't think there is an ounce of difference in the taste. I can barely remember mom cooking it but it seems like she put it in a skillet with some bacon drippings and cooked it till it was warmed through then put it on the table in a bowl.

Anyone have any good ideas or recipes?

No, throwing it away is not a good idea ;)

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
cooked some last night for supper. Sometimes I fry it in skillet with a litte olive oil after draining off the water. Then again you can just put juice and all in a sauce pan with pepper and sea salt and cook down till the water is about gone. I usually put bacon pieces in mine while it is cooking. It is quite good, then you can add a side of Butter beans and fried potatoes corn bread and your ready to go...

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Here is another Chessey recipe Bayou I do sometimes...

3 1/2 cups hominy large can
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 cup warmed milk
1 Ham hock

In skillet combine hominy with water, salt, cheese, and butter. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese and butter have melted.Add pieces of ham from hock. Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and bubbly. Put under broiler to brown.

bama119

1st Team
Aug 4, 2001
Eufaula, Al.
Quick and easy, open can and drain all water, put in a microwave safe bowl add salt, pepper, and butter to taste. I prefer extra pepper and butter. Make sure you have enough butter it's not dry, or could be done in skillet on stove.
Heat in microwave until extremely hot thru and thru.
I love the idea of cheese in it, will have to try it next time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.