Casserole: Sweet Potato Casserole (good enough for dessert!)

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. I use a hand mixer and blend at low speed until ingredients are blended, but not too smooth. Do not overblend/mix. 20-30 seconds usually does the trick.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the light brown sugar and flour and cut in the 1/3 cup of butter. This mixture should be moist, but crumbly. Mix in the pecans with your hands.
Pour the casserole mixture from the large bowl into the 9x13 baking dish, then sprinkle the pecan topping entirely over that.
Bake on center rack for 30 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes then serve.

Last edited:

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I havent had sweet potato casserole in years.... I think the marshmallows were the reason I didnt care for it too much... I think Im gonna make one for thanksgiving this year. Give the yankees something different than pumpkin pie this year. :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Last but not least, my grandmother always made certain her eggs were at room temperature before using them. Why? I haven't a clue, but if it was good enough for Nina, it is certainly good enough for me.
If you don't use room temperature eggs when adding them to butter and sugar the batter may break or curdle which will make the dish grainy or have a flat texture. Using room temp eggs allows more air and a fluffier dish. You should always use room temp eggs when baking, actually a little above room temp by placing the eggs in a bowl of warm water for 20-30 minutes before using them.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I havent had sweet potato casserole in years.... I think the marshmallows were the reason I didnt care for it too much... I think Im gonna make one for thanksgiving this year. Give the yankees something different than pumpkin pie this year. :)
try mixing in apple sauce, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans and/or a shot or two of bourbon. Any or all of those things are pretty good. Also a layer of sliced apples on the bottom is a surprise some like.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
try mixing in apple sauce, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans and/or a shot or two of bourbon. Any or all of those things are pretty good. Also a layer of sliced apples on the bottom is a surprise some like.
My mother threw us a delicious curveball this year... bananas. They gave her sweet potato casserole a completely different flavor... not to mention texture.

Housedividedby3

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 3, 2011
This is the same recipe that's been passed down to multiple generations in my family and it definitely is a crowd-pleaser!

Again, Richard is on top of things with his helpful tips, especially at this particular time of the year! Cheers, my friend! You are greatly missed!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.