Casserole: Sweet Potato Casserole (good enough for dessert!)
Like Like:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0
    BamaNation Hall of Fame SavannahDare's Avatar

Sweet Potato Casserole (good enough for dessert!)

Description: This is as close as I've ever been able to get to my grandmother's classic. Hers was, and will always be, the best, but this is no joke either. Wonderful served warm as a side dish, but so sweet it's also perfect served cold as a dessert. Personally, I think it's best 1-2 days later as a leftover. Mmmmm.
    Time: prep 15, bake 30
    Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:
    1. casserole:
    2. 4 1/2 C mashed sweet potatoes
    3. 1/2 C melted butter
    4. 1/3 C evaporated milk
    5. 2 eggs
    6. 1 C sugar
    7. 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

8. topping:
    9. 1 C light brown sugar
    10. 1/2 C all-purpose flour
    11. 1/3 C butter, not melted
    12. 1 C chopped pecans
    Preparation:
    1. Bake 4-6 sweet potatoes and let them cool sufficiently so you can easily peel them. I usually bake mine the evening before I intend to make this dish and store them overnight in the fridge. Also, you can substitute regular milk for the evaporated milk, but I think the evaporated milk makes the taste richer. Last but not least, my grandmother always made certain her eggs were at room temperature before using them. Why? I haven't a clue, but if it was good enough for Nina, it is certainly good enough for me.
    Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
    3. In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. I use a hand mixer and blend at low speed until ingredients are blended, but not too smooth. Do not overblend/mix. 20-30 seconds usually does the trick.
    4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the light brown sugar and flour and cut in the 1/3 cup of butter. This mixture should be moist, but crumbly. Mix in the pecans with your hands.
    5. Pour the casserole mixture from the large bowl into the 9x13 baking dish, then sprinkle the pecan topping entirely over that.
    6. Bake on center rack for 30 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes then serve.
    Last edited by SavannahDare; October 18th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.
    "She is the last of her kind, she thought. No wars had ever touched her, and she had lived through three; nothing had disturbed that world of hers, where gentlemen smoked on the porch or in hammocks, where ladies fanned themselves gently and drank cool water." - Jean Louise Finch describing her aunt in 'Go Set a Watchman'

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BAMAFAN IN NY's Avatar

Re: Sweet Potato Casserole (good enough for dessert!)

No marshmallows?
    Touch that thang fo!-- Courtney Upshaw

NO marshmallows! LOL

Of course, if you just absolutely have to have your marshmallows, be my guest....just not in my house.
    "She is the last of her kind, she thought. No wars had ever touched her, and she had lived through three; nothing had disturbed that world of hers, where gentlemen smoked on the porch or in hammocks, where ladies fanned themselves gently and drank cool water." - Jean Louise Finch describing her aunt in 'Go Set a Watchman'

BamaNation Hall of Fame BAMAFAN IN NY's Avatar

I havent had sweet potato casserole in years.... I think the marshmallows were the reason I didnt care for it too much... I think Im gonna make one for thanksgiving this year. Give the yankees something different than pumpkin pie this year.
    Touch that thang fo!-- Courtney Upshaw

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

Last but not least, my grandmother always made certain her eggs were at room temperature before using them. Why? I haven't a clue, but if it was good enough for Nina, it is certainly good enough for me.
    If you don't use room temperature eggs when adding them to butter and sugar the batter may break or curdle which will make the dish grainy or have a flat texture. Using room temp eggs allows more air and a fluffier dish. You should always use room temp eggs when baking, actually a little above room temp by placing the eggs in a bowl of warm water for 20-30 minutes before using them.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

Smile Re: Sweet Potato Casserole (good enough for dessert!)

Quote Originally Posted by BAMAFAN IN NY View Post
    I havent had sweet potato casserole in years.... I think the marshmallows were the reason I didnt care for it too much... I think Im gonna make one for thanksgiving this year. Give the yankees something different than pumpkin pie this year.
    try mixing in apple sauce, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans and/or a shot or two of bourbon. Any or all of those things are pretty good. Also a layer of sliced apples on the bottom is a surprise some like.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation First Team Bama Greg's Avatar
    Finally back home in the city of Madison, the great state of ALABAMA!!!!

[QUOTE=SavannahDare;931394]NO marshmallows! LOL

Of course, if you just absolutely have to have your marshmallows, be my guest....just not in my house. [/QUOTE

I AM THERE WITH YOU, NO MARSHMELLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to try this recipe, sounds so delicious.

Thanks for posting,
    Greg
    "How much does this game mean to you, cuz if it means something to you, you can't stand still! You understand! You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the guy in front of you, and you make his ... quit! That's our trade mark. That's our M.O. as a team. Aight, that's what people know us as."......Nick Saban

Suspended

just dont forget,sweet potato casserole is a vegetable.

The sweet taters are baking in the oven as I type. YUM!!

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutider View Post
    try mixing in apple sauce, crushed pineapple, chopped pecans and/or a shot or two of bourbon. Any or all of those things are pretty good. Also a layer of sliced apples on the bottom is a surprise some like.
    My mother threw us a delicious curveball this year... bananas. They gave her sweet potato casserole a completely different flavor... not to mention texture.

Almost time to bake me up some sweet taters....

This is the same recipe that's been passed down to multiple generations in my family and it definitely is a crowd-pleaser!

Again, Richard is on top of things with his helpful tips, especially at this particular time of the year! Cheers, my friend! You are greatly missed!

Suspended

same basic recipe I used to make sweet potato pies, except I added homemade Kahlua to it.