Union Supremacy

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
That's what we're looking at with an Obama presidency.

Once BO is inaugarated, one of the first orders of business of the new administration and congress is going to be passage of the "Employee Free Choice Act". This means democratic, secret ballot votes on whether or not a workplace goes union or not will be done away with and instead union organizers will be able to claim they represent a workforce at any given plant/workplace by simply getting a majority of signatures from workers--in other words, you as a worker lose confidentiality and secrecy and you could be potentially harassed until you agree to sign up. If you are a hourly paid worker, like I am, and don't feel like you need a union representing you with your employer, I encourage you to get educated on this subject if you are not already. One resource I found is this website

http://www.nrtw.org/

Last edited:

crmsnrevelation

All-American
Nov 8, 2005
Mobile Alabama
since when did we have a right to work? If the economy collapsed would you call your congressman and tell him I have a right to work. Put me to work...

Besides Unions are the minority in the south shouldnt the Right to work law protect them instead of non unions?

I

It's On A Slab

I thought this was another War of Northern Agression thread. ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
since when did we have a right to work? If the economy collapsed would you call your congressman and tell him I have a right to work. Put me to work...

Besides Unions are the minority in the south shouldnt the Right to work law protect them instead of non unions?
Since the perversion relationship between the Federal and state governments to its current (fallacious) relationship, the Federal government "gave" the states the right to work laws. What the Federal government giveth, the Federal government taketh away. (I would argue that the Federal government does not "give" rights to the states; the states have them originally, and the people of the states have agreed to deny their state governments certain rights when the people ratified the Constitution of the United States. This, however, is a separate topic for another thread.)
The question is can a union demand the power to represent all workers at a factory, even those who do not wish such representation. Since having non-union workers at a plant undercuts the union position, unions do not like that, and have enlisted the aid of the Federal government to stop workers from having a free choice in the matter. How democratic of them,
If past is prologue, I would bet President Obama will sign a law taking away workers' right to a secret ballot on whether or not to unionize. Then you may be the victim of union "arguments" in their attempts to "convince" you.

If you have some time, listen to Thomas Woods lecture on labor history:
Major Episodes in American Labor History: An Austrian Reevaluation, Part I & II. http://mises.org/media.aspx?action=author&ID=424

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I've never been fond of Unions, even growing up in a Union family IBEW. My wife and I aren't members of one here in AZ. (Right to Work State). However, I fear that when we move back to Florida in a year or so that we will be forced to join the Union. I'm not happy about that at all.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

States with right to work laws are where all the new auto plants are being built and where most industrial expansion is taking place, creating more jobs. 'forced union' states, like Ohio and Meechigan, are bleeding jobs and their economies are horrible.

I would say being a right to work state is not such a bad thing....:)

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The mill that right to work built:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mi...on_main&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mr. Bouchard says one of the plant’s advantages will be freedom from rigid union work rules and retiree legacy costs, which handicap many American steel and aluminum manufacturers. “There’s only one way to build a big business in these industries today, and it is greenfield,” he says. “You have to start from scratch. No unions, therefore no pension legacies.”

Similarly, he hopes the new factory will provide an edge over competitors’ aging facilities with high maintenance costs and antiquated work processes. Mr. Bouchard says he will “spend $1.3 billion on the mill, and our maintenance costs are going to be $20 million a year instead of $100 million.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.