Where is "You make the call"?

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I missed it also. I guess Tidehawk is buried in work again. I will try to step in for him with this situation from one of my games from earlier this year:

Team White scores on a long touchdown run. After the play is over, Blue No. 1taunts White No. 2 and is flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. White No. 2 returns the favor and taunts Blue No. 1 and is also flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Blue No. 1 responds by punching White No. 2 and drawing another unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. How is all of this penalized?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Well, if it was played in Dodger Stadium, they would play "Why Can't We Be Friends" over the loudspeakers, and the crowd would sing along - even in the playoffs... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
This one appears to get technical. High school rules are tricky at times. First thing to decide is are the penalties enforced on the extra point or the kickoff. If on the extra point, hmm, 2 yards against the defense, then 15 yards against the offense, then half the distance against the defense? The try from the 8 or so yd line? Seems a rather odd way to do it. So probably not correct.

If they are marked off on the kickoff, White would end up kicking from the Blue 45?

Regardless, I believe Blue No. 1 is ejected for the second personal foul penalty.

R

rolltidescott

I missed it also. I guess Tidehawk is buried in work again. I will try to step in for him with this situation from one of my games from earlier this year:

Team White scores on a long touchdown run. After the play is over, Blue No. 1taunts White No. 2 and is flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. White No. 2 returns the favor and taunts Blue No. 1 and is also flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. Blue No. 1 responds by punching White No. 2 and drawing another unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. How is all of this penalized?
Wow. Must have been fun to call that game. :) :eek2:

As for an answer, I'm guessing the first two offest, but due to the third penalty, blue backs up 15 yards for the kickoff and the 'puncher' was kicked out of the game.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Pretty good ed. Fouls that are after the play is over are penalized from the succeeding spot (in this case the try) and cannot be taken over to the kickoff. In addition, unsportsmanlike fouls are penalized as dead ball fouls and are always penalized from the succeeding spot. Unsportsmanlike fouls do not offset and all penalized in the order they occur. Therefore: Team Blue is penalized half the distance from the 3 to the 1 1/2. Team White is penalized 15 yards from the 1 1/2 to the 16 1/2. Team Blue is then penalized half the distance from the 16 1/2 to the 8 1/4. The try is attempted from that point.

Also ed, you were correct in saying that the Blue player was ejected. He was ejected for two reasons. First, he got two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls which is an automatic ejection. Second, he punched the White player which also calls for an ejection.

Note: Two personal fould do not get a player ejected, only two unsportsmanlike fouls. If it was two personal fouls, a clip in the first quarter and a late hit in the third would get him tossed. It must be unsportsmanlike fouls.

Good job guys.

R

rolltidescott

Jake, I didn't know that two unsportsmanlike's got you kicked out until a game I saw Friday night. The opposing team's head coach got tossed after two straight unsportsmanlike's. (His team had 4 unsportsmanlike's in the 3rd quarter (two were the coach's)).

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Thanks bamajake, I try to keep up. Although i've never been a football ref, I've done softball and baseball for 20+ years. I'm one of those that actually enjoys reading a rulebook. When my son took up soccer, and I eventually helped do some coaching, I even read that rulebook.

I knew the personal fouls had to be unsportsmanlike penalties, I saw a kid ejected that way a couple years ago in a game at Wetumpka. Many people often ask why, when there are offsetting unsporting penalties, do they even bother throwing the flag. That's the answer, once a player gets two, he is done for the night.

If you ever get to come down Prattville way, let me know.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.