You Make The Call

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Well, because TideHawk is AWOL again, I'll throw another situation up for you.

Red kicks off to White. The ball, untouched by any player, is rolling toward the sideline near the goal line. White, thinking the ball is going to roll out of bounds does not pick it up. The ball suddenly changes direction and begins to slow almost to a stop. As a Red player reaches for the ball, a White player who has one foot on the sideline kicks the ball across the goal line and into the end zone. Red recovers the ball in the endzone. Does Red get a touchdown? What penalty, if any is called? Who gets the ball and where?

Have fun with this one!

specialkpntbl

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2007
Dothan, AL
Wow this is a goodie. This is my first time attempting this and I have no idea where to even start lol.

Well I know that the white player can't kick it, and since he had his foot on the side line I'm not sure how that would effect whether it was a live ball (is that the right terminology?) . If it is a live ball then I would say Touchdown Red team, since they would decline any penalties.

If Red doesn't get a touchdown though, would that be illegal touching since the White player was out of bounds? Or would a penalty for kicking the ball be marked off?

R

rolltidescott

I'd say the ball is dead (out of bounds) when touched by the player with his foot on the sideline. They (white) get the ball there, after a 5 yard illegal touching penalty.

This is a guess. This is ONLY a guess! :)

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
A similar play happened in an NFL game this past weekend. The ball touching an out of bounds player means that you have a kickoff out of bounds. I know the college rule is either a 5 yard step off or the receiving team takes over 30 yards from the spot of the kick, and I'm sure the HS rule is similar.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
You are dead on Aden. Because the White player was standing on the sideline, the ball became dead immediately when he touched it so it is a kick out of bounds. White has the options Aden described. It would not be an illegal kick by White because the ball was dead when touched. However, White could still be penalized for delay of game. If so, it would be a dead ball foul and marked off from the 35 (assuming White chose to take the ball there).

aden

Suspended
Jan 30, 2005
citronelle ala
I just found this board a couple of weeks ago.I started officiating football last year.I have really enjoyed the questions and have found it entertaining and informative.Hope you do the same for baseball and softball.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Welcome aboard Aden. Unfortunately, this board will all but die once football season ends. I wish it would stay busy year round but it just doesn't. Do you call baseball and/or softball as well as football?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.