Entre: Sausage & Red Gravy

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Poke holes in the sausage links.
Use a large cast iron pot to brown the links of sausage.
Cover the sausage about halfway with water and place the lid on the pot. Let it steam for approximately 30 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent scorching and sticking. This will also allow to make its own gravy (save and set aside for later). Remove sausage and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thin slices and set aside in a dish.
In the large pot with the sausage gravy add the onions, garlic and butter. After butter has melted add the tomato paste, V-8 and the sugar. Season with cajun spices and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
Add water as needed to make a thin gravy or leave it thick.
Serve over rice with French bread to sop up the gravy

Last edited:

JagTider

Suspended
May 28, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I used one package of pork and green onion sausage and one package of deer sausage. It was all made by Richard's.

(pronounced Reee' Shards)

Any good link sausage should do this dish proud.
Oh how I miss that stuff....

College buddy from LA introduced it to me and brings me some every time he visits, which is getting to be less and less often now that we both have kids.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I used one package of pork and green onion sausage and one package of deer sausage. It was all made by Richard's.

(pronounced Reee' Shards)

Any good link sausage should do this dish proud.
I had some seafood gumbo made by Richard's the other day and it was excellent. Got it at Wal-Mart and they had several other varieties that I'm gonna try.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I had some seafood gumbo made by Richard's the other day and it was excellent. Got it at Wal-Mart and they had several other varieties that I'm gonna try.
Richards used to have a little restaurant in Sulphur, Louisiana. The food was good but what a dive. Everything was served on Styrofoam plates with paper towel napkins and plastic eating tools. But the food was pretty good. I don't know if that place is still in business.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Poke holes in the sausage links.
Use a large cast iron pot to brown the links of sausage.
Cover the sausage about halfway with water and place the lid on the pot. Let it steam for approximately 30 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent scorching and sticking. This will also allow to make its own gravy (save and set aside for later). Remove sausage and slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch thin slices and set aside in a dish.
In the large pot with the sausage gravy add the onions, garlic and butter. After butter has melted add the tomato paste, V-8 and the sugar. Season with cajun spices and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
Add water as needed to make a thin gravy or leave it thick.
Serve over rice with French bread to sop up the gravy
Ever try it with a little flour as a thickener?

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Ever try it with a little flour as a thickener?
Mine usually thickens as it simmers the longer it simmers the more it reduces. Flour would work if you want really thick sauce or get tired of waiting. I like mine about like spaghetti sauce in fact I have served this over spaghetti before. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.