Why Did Ray Perkins Replace Bear Bryant? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team dennychimes76's Avatar

Re: Why Did Ray Perkins Replace Bear Bryant?

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    What you're saying is what I remember at the time. In fact, I never heard Gene Stallings' name come up until Bill Curry resigned in early 1990. I do know that Paul Bryant Jr. sought out Stallings at a press conference and said, "This is what Papa wanted," but I also recall very clearly what little I heard at the time was that Bryant had endorsed the selection of Perkins.

I'm also aware of the controversy of Bryant having to retire because of the age laws in Alabama and Pat Dye using that as a recruiting tool.
    Alabama's law was mandatory retirement at age 70 - however the Legislature was to give special dispensation to Coach Bryant to continue past age 70. CPB retired because of his heath.

On a general note, Dr. Gaylon McCullough's book published a couple of months ago ("The Long Shadow of Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant") which gives some insight into Coach Bryant's retirement and the subsequent hirings. Dr. McCullough was a close friend and one of CPR's physicians. He said he wrote the book because it was time to clear up some things. He also said in the book that Bobby Bowden did miserable in his interview.
    There's no substitute for guts Paul W. Bryant

2. Advertisement

He also said in the book that Bobby Bowden did miserable in his interview.
    According to Bowden, he refused to interview. He came to T-Town thinking he had the job and then was told that he had to interview. That's my best memory of his account of it...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

rolltidescott

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'll tell you what I heard at the time, and it came from someone personally close to him. You may remember that Coach's public position was that he was staying out of the selection process. If were asked privately, and he was, his second choice was CGS. but his first choice was, in fact, Perkins. The logic was that Coach recognized that the wishbone was passe' - that it had been well dxed and could be defended. One of the reasons he gave publicly for his retirement was that he never wanted to coach kids to pass-block again. Perkins was a respected offensively-minded coach, whereas CGS was the opposite - a defensively-minded coach. He felt that the defense would be fine, but the offense needed revamping totally. I've always accepted this as the truth, both because of who told me and also because it made sense. Whatever the order of choice, it would be unthinkable that Perkins would have been hired without Coach's strong stamp of approval, no matter what he said publicly...
    Intesting. I've never heard that, but it makes sense.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question while we're on the subject of Perkins: Why did he leave Bama? Was he pressured out? I cut my teeth on Bama football, but I was only 8 when Coach Bryant passed away. I remember his retirement and the subsequent coaching changes leading up to Stallings, but the politics behind these decisions were not on my radar at that age.

According to Bowden, he refused to interview. He came to T-Town thinking he had the job and then was told that he had to interview. That's my best memory of his account of it...
    It seems like there was something ridiculous about the interview process - like maybe the SGA president was allowed to ask the candidate questions. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by UAME View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question while we're on the subject of Perkins: Why did he leave Bama? Was he pressured out? I cut my teeth on Bama football, but I was only 8 when Coach Bryant passed away. I remember his retirement and the subsequent coaching changes leading up to Stallings, but the politics behind these decisions were not on my radar at that age.
    Short answer Money

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UAME View Post
    It seems like there was something ridiculous about the interview process - like maybe the SGA president was allowed to ask the candidate questions. Does that sound familiar to anyone else?
    Perkins left mainly because he was lured by Hugh Culverhouse, then owner of the Tampa Bay Bucs, to return to pro football with a huge contract offer. Based on comments he made in his decision to leave at the time, I took it that the money was the main motivating factor but that also Ray didn't seem to enjoy all the year round responsibilities that came along with being in the college game--namely recruiting and being athletic director.

In regard to the interview process for Perkins' successor, the story I've always heard is that Joab Thomas put together an interview 'team' of several people--I've always heard that former player Walter Lewis was in that group, but don't know that for sure-- that conducted the interviews. Bill Curry supposedly impressed better in the 'interview' phase better than the other candidates(daddy bowden included) and thus he was given the job over Bowden.

I do believe Bowden when he says that he never interviewed.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

I do believe Bowden when he says that he never interviewed.
    I do believe you are right on that, Earle. If I recall correctly, he came to Birmingham and stayed with Terry at least the night before with the intention of interviewing,
    but supposedly word leaked out after the Curry interview that a decision had already been made--and it wasn't in Bowden's favor.

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

I beleive Bowden refused the interview, he might have even said he didn't do interviews which came across as a bit arrogant.

Perkins was given 10% of the Buc's franchise as part of his package with Culverhouse.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Was speaking with a former player (70s) about Gaylon McCollough's book. Seems Gaylon maybe not remember things as well as he should about Bowden and as well as about Coach Bryant. Some people who know him seems to think this book might be a way he's trying to justify him having a big influence on the hiring of Bill Curry. He's trying to say that Coach Bryant thought Curry would be a great fit for Alabama and trying to say that Bowden knew what he was getting into and wasn't as sharp as Curry was.

His advice to me was not to believe everything about this book.

-kc
    KC

BamaNation First Team dennychimes76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayoutider View Post
    I beleive Bowden refused the interview, he might have even said he didn't do interviews which came across as a bit arrogant.

Perkins was given 10% of the Buc's franchise as part of his package with Culverhouse.
    According to McCullough, Curry, Bowden, and Jim Fuller were interviewed (seems like it was in the Medical Towers building in Bham). All 3 were asked the same questions and asked what their plans were for academics and athletics. He stated that Bowden did miserably in the interview (I read it that he had no plan). Also, stated that Bowden came with TaterTot and (if I recall correctly)
    son Jeff.

Noting kcmusic's post above, I have no idea if what Dr. McCullough has written is truthful. However, I do believe Bobby Bowden "interviewed" for the job regardless of what Diddy says
    There's no substitute for guts Paul W. Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC

It seems to me that he resigned as AD also. I know there was a selection committee named, but I don't remember who was on it. Maybe TommyMac or another OF can. CPB's input was strictly informal, I was told.
    My recollection is that Coach Bryant stayed on as AD and I think he intended to stay for a year or so. Joey Jones wrote in his book that Perkins at first said the AD and HC combination was too much for one person, but changed his mind, obviously, after Coach Bryant's death.