Syrupmakers win GA AAA State Football Title

R

rolltidescott

That is a crazy name. I know the University of North Alabama (Florence) plays a team nicknamed the "Mule Riders" every year.

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
My favorite nickname for a sports team is a hockey team called the Macon "Whoopee".

CrimsonDollar

1st Team
Apr 9, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I thought this was a joke at first, but evidently Cairo High School in Ga has the Syrupmakers as their mascot. I guess Aunt Jemima left them a large donation!
Is the "Cairo" in question pronounced like the Egyptian Cairo (KI-ro) or more southern... like Karo Syrup?

If it's the latter, I understand the mascot.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Is the "Cairo" in question pronounced like the Egyptian Cairo (KI-ro) or more southern... like Karo Syrup?

If it's the latter, I understand the mascot.
From Wikipedia:

Although Cairo is nicknamed the "Syrup City" it has no relationship with the Karo brand of corn syrup, which is pronounced like the city's name. Rather, Cairo earned its nickname by producing cane syrup from the early 1900s through the late 1990s. Of the several companies that produced cane syrup, Roddenbery's was the best known.

Reflecting this "syrup" heritage, the Cairo High School football team is nicknamed the Syrupmakers, and the school mascot is the agriculturally based sugar cane farmer/syrupmaker similar to the Cornhusker and Boilermaker. According to local tradition, this began during a rainy football game, when the players wore donated ponchos with "Roddenbury Syrup" printed on them. The most widely accepted tradition and the one with the most supportive evidence claims that a newspaper reporter referred to the Cairo Tigers in print as "the syrupmakers from Cairo."

The school's female athletic teams are named "Syrup Maids," often shortened to "Maids," while the male athletes are often dubbed "Makers." In 1986 ESPN chose "Syrupmakers" as the No. 1 nickname for a high school sports team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
As a senior in high school, I see great pranks for the students of the high school. Just think about it... Place syrup on possessions of your arch rivals. Sounds great to me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.