What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

It's On A Slab

I think I've finally got my "60s and 70s R&B" playlist complete on my iPod.

I had already filled it with the big ones (Four Tops, O'Jays, Temptations, Supremes, Marvin, Smokey, The Miracles, The Stylistics, Aretha, Bill Withers, Delfonics, Booker T, The BarKays, Sam Cooke, Sly & The Family Stone).

Then, I went to the one-hit wonders:

"Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey" - Steam

"Be Thankful For What You Got" - William Devaughn (The "diamond in the back" song")

"Misty Blue" - Dorothy Moore

"Why Can't We Live Together" - Timmy Thomas

"I Can't Stand The Rain" - Ann Peebles

"Smiling Faces" - The Undisputed Truth

"Natural High" - Bloodstone

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
Alice Cooper...Billion dollar babies.

IMO Cooper's guitar player is one of the best, unheralded, rock guitar players I have listened to. I don't even know which one he is. The 4 LPs that I have list personnel but not their instrument. But, this guy can really play.

The great thing is that I lived in Detroit in the late 60s and 70s so I got to see them live a lot. Their music (if you like rock) was just as good live as it was on record. Then again it could have been my psyche at the time. :biggrin:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

IMO Cooper's guitar player is one of the best, unheralded, rock guitar players I have listened to. I don't even know which one he is. The 4 LPs that I have list personnel but not their instrument. But, this guy can really play.

The great thing is that I lived in Detroit in the late 60s and 70s so I got to see them live a lot. Their music (if you like rock) was just as good live as it was on record. Then again it could have been my psyche at the time. :biggrin:
Glen Buxton played lead, Michael Bruce played rhythm, Dennis Dunnaway on bass and Neil Smith on drums. Alice sang lead and played harmonica in the band and I believe this was the lineup through 1973 and maybe up till 1975 for a few of them.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Today's CDs:

Drive By Truckers - "Brighter Than Creation"
Drive By Truckers - "The Dirty South"
Drive By Truckers - "Decoration Day"
rem - "Reckoning"

I went to high school with Drive By Truckers founder Patterson Hood. Very good band with a great sound.

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
LP--Tommy Bolin, Teaser...

Wow, I forgot how well this kid could play, he was so versatile. What a shame, another great guitar player who died way before his time.

:BigA: RTR!

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Greatest Hits CD I found @ Walley World. One great thing about getting old is that one can find much of one's music in the $5 & $7 bin. ;-) When I grow up, I'd like to be able to sing like, well, any one of the 3, and to play like Stephen Stills. I'd say I'd like to be able to write like any one of them, but I don't want to be greedy...

Bama Ball - Tommy Bolin was *great.* One of my favorite Deep Purple songs is "Gettin' Tighter" w/ TB on guitar. I agree w/ you that Teaser is a good album.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

One more bit of Alice Cooper trivia is all of the band members, Alice included, but one went to the same high school and Alice, Vince Furnier, ran track. He loves to play golf, drink beer and has a Sports Bar in Phoenix.

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
One more bit of Alice Cooper trivia is all of the band members, Alice included, but one went to the same high school and Alice, Vince Furnier, ran track. He loves to play golf, drink beer and has a Sports Bar in Phoenix.

Wow! That's a cool piece of info. I looked it up because I knew he was from Detroit. No wonder I saw him and the band at so many local bars, state fair, etc in late 69 and 70.

He is only a couple years older than me and I lived within 5 miles of him. He lived in Westland and attended Nankin Mills MS. I lived right on the border of Westland in Livonia and attended Franklin. I never realized that he was so close.

Another big time Detroit rocker, Ted Nugent, lived near my wife in Dearborn Michigan. She was friends with the Amboy Dukes bass player's sister and used to go over to his house and watch them practice in their basement.... Ahhh, the good old days.

:BigA: RTR!

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

Early AC was all about shock appeal, but those guys threw down some killer R&R numbers. "Be My Lover" and "Under My Wheels" are still as fresh today as they were 35 years ago.

I was disappointed when the band broke up and Alice went solo. Personally, I think his peak was Billion Dollar Babies. Welcome To My Nightmare was okay, but there was too much vaudeville, and less great music.

But that string of great ones.....Love It To Death, Killer, School's Out, and Billion Dollar Babies.....all classics.

Glen Buxton played lead, Michael Bruce played rhythm, Dennis Dunnaway on bass and Neil Smith on drums. Alice sang lead and played harmonica in the band and I believe this was the lineup through 1973 and maybe up till 1975 for a few of them.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Early AC was all about shock appeal, but those guys threw down some killer R&R numbers. "Be My Lover" and "Under My Wheels" are still as fresh today as they were 35 years ago.

I was disappointed when the band broke up and Alice went solo. Personally, I think his peak was Billion Dollar Babies. Welcome To My Nightmare was okay, but there was too much vaudeville, and less great music.

But that string of great ones.....Love It To Death, Killer, School's Out, and Billion Dollar Babies.....all classics.
I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan and agree with you about his music. Funny thing is Vince has confirmed he is a "Born Again Christian". He says he is a rock singer not a philosopher, not a teacher or roll model and don't look to him for any answers. He also has shied away from politics saying it shouldn't be mixed with rock music.

I found this comment on the internet and think it's priceless.
When asked by the British Sunday Times newspaper in 2001 how a rebellious shock-rocker could be a Christian, Cooper is credited with providing this response "Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!"

Vince is beyond cool in my book.

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan and agree with you about his music. Funny thing is Vince has confirmed he is a "Born Again Christian". ...I found this comment on the internet and think it's priceless.
When asked by the British Sunday Times newspaper in 2001 how a rebellious shock-rocker could be a Christian, Cooper is credited with providing this response "Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion! "Vince is beyond cool in my book.
I agree, wasn't his dad or grandfather a Baptist minister? Also, you mentioned that he played golf; from what I remember he is almost a scratch golfer. He could make it on the pro-am circuit.

Anyway I agree with you and Slab, those first 4 or 5 albums produced some timeless rock tunes. Killer may be my favorite album of them all. The band complemented Alice perfectly and Glen Buxton could play guitar with anyone in rock and roll.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I agree, wasn't his dad or grandfather a Baptist minister? Also, you mentioned that he played golf; from what I remember he is almost a scratch golfer. He could make it on the pro-am circuit.

Anyway I agree with you and Slab, those first 4 or 5 albums produced some timeless rock tunes. Killer may be my favorite album of them all. The band complemented Alice perfectly and Glen Buxton could play guitar with anyone in rock and roll.
Maybe his grandfather, I think it was Church of Christ. Vince took up golf to take his mind off either drugs or alcohol and yeah he is good at golf. Must have been drugs because seems like I heard he drinks a lot of beer while playing golf and he's still good. :)

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
This morning it's going to be Old-School Deep Purple. Yet another Walmart CD, called "Winning Combinations" that includes 5 DP cuts & 5 Rainbow cuts. I'm particularly looking forward to "Hush (live)," "Perfect Strangers," & "Highway Star (live)." Then I'll switch over to "I Surrender" live by Rainbow.

Just a lil sumpin' to get the old ticker pumping...

exiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.