What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reminds me of the cool old record shop that was on the Strip when I was in T-town:
Bought the majority of my vinyl while living in Gainesville from '72-'77 while attending UF. I think there were two major record shops and then some other places not as popular.

Wish I could remember the name of the one where I met my first "college" girlfriend, Shaun. She lived in Miami and was the younger sister of the record owner who was also a female "Sam" - short for Samantha. Still in high school too. People say grocery stores are a great place to meet chicks. Well, it used to be record shops! :)

Reactions: bama579

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Shane Theriot is on of my favorite guitar players. He plays with John Oats and is the music director for the TV show Live From Daryl's House. Very unique player. He is also a Grammy winning producer.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Every AM recently I've fired up my modest little vinyl / tube playback system and listened to Ray LaMontagne, Steely Dan, Supertramp, etc. Just mellow listening on a beautiful playback system.

View attachment 8619
i have always found listening to steely dan, especially the stretch katy lied -> gaucho, to be very calming
Reminds me of the cool old record shop that was on the Strip when I was in T-town:
i remember that place well.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
i have always found listening to steely dan, especially the stretch katy lied -> gaucho, to be very calming

i remember that place well.
I think that’s the same store I used to frequent when I was in school ‘72-‘76. I stand to be corrected. If anyone knows, please chime in.

When I lived in Memphis we used to go to Peaches. It was HUGE. I don’t know if it was a locally owned store or a chain.

Reactions: gtowntide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think that’s the same store I used to frequent when I was in school ‘72-‘76. I stand to be corrected. If anyone knows, please chime in.

When I lived in Memphis we used to go to Peaches. It was HUGE. I don’t know if it was a locally owned store or a chain.
i'm sure it is. vinyl solution was an institution on the strip. iirc, it moved to a different location on the strip when i was in school (87-92), but a lot of stuff was moving around then so i can't remember for sure.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

72-76 on the strip ...The store was probably The Dickery (worked there) or Media Exchange. The fellow who owned the place wanted to be the first to have The Allman Brothers Bands' "Eat A Peach" He sent me and another guy to Atlanta to get them at a warehouse in Doraville. It was literally across an alley from Studio One. Before we loaded the cartons we walked to the studio. The Atlanta Rhythm Section was working there and we recognized Goddard, Nix, and Cob sitting in the lobby drinking coffee. Pretty exciting stuff for a small-town kid.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
72-76 on the strip ...The store was probably The Dickery (worked there) or Media Exchange. The fellow who owned the place wanted to be the first to have The Allman Brothers Bands' "Eat A Peach" He sent me and another guy to Atlanta to get them at a warehouse in Doraville. It was literally across an alley from Studio One. Before we loaded the cartons we walked to the studio. The Atlanta Rhythm Section was working there and we recognized Goddard, Nix, and Cob sitting in the lobby drinking coffee. Pretty exciting stuff for a small-town kid.
Very cool! It was the Dickery. I would never have recalled the name, but now that you mention it, how could I have forgotten? I'm sure we crossed paths because I would buy an album each week. My allowance was $10 a week and all of that was consumed by albums or food that was not on the meal plan. Of course in those days you could barely eat all the food you got at Morrison's for $2.25. Weren't albums about $4 or $5?

I bought Eat A Peach at the Dickery but it probably wasn't one of your shipment since it came out in February '72 and I was still in high school. The Allman Brothers were my favorite band in those days. I still love the Allman Brothers. IMO, Duane Allman still stands alone as the best slide player ever. Amazing tone, intonation and feel. I've seen the Allman Bros several times but Duane was already dead before I was turned on to the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.