What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Happy 77th Birthday to Glyn Johns........

He has worked with such artists as Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Eagles, Bob Dylan, Linda Ronstadt, The Band, Eric Clapton, The Clash, The Beatles (Get Back Sessions), Ryan Adams, The Steve Miller Band, Small Faces, Spooky Tooth, The Easybeats, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Blue Öyster Cult, Emmylou Harris, Midnight Oil, New Model Army, Belly, Joe Satriani, Ronnie Lane, Rod Stewart with Faces (band), John Hiatt, Joan Armatrading, Buckacre, Gallagher and Lyle, Georgie Fame, Family, Helen Watson, Fairport Convention, Humble Pie, and many others.
In the 1960s, while associated with the UK rock band The Presidents, Johns began working as a recording studio engineer at IBC Studios in Portland Place, London and was able to take the band in during weekends and try his skills at production and recording. The presidents was his first true production work and in 1969, Johns was called upon to rescue the troublesome Get Back sessions for The Beatles. Johns compiled several versions of the album, which were all rejected by the band, before the project was eventually turned over to producer Phil Spector. Spector's version became the released album, which was retitled Let It Be which Glyn called "a load of garbage."
In 1971, he recorded and mixed The Who's Who's Next. His influence on The Faces' 1972 album A Nod Is as Good as a Wink... to a Blind Horse, which he co-produced with the band, can be gauged from the message that follows the credits: "Thank you Glyn, you made all the difference." Johns produced the first two albums by the Eagles. Though they were successful, the band, especially Glenn Frey, clashed with Johns over the direction of their sound. After recording two songs for their third album (including their first #1 single "Best of My Love"), they dismissed Johns and returned to California to finish the album.
Johns also produced the 1977 Eric Clapton album Slowhand, including the popular hit "Wonderful Tonight", written by Eric Clapton.
Johns has written a book about his life titled Sound Man published by Blue Rider Press on 13 November 2014.
In 2012, Johns was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, USA. He was honoured for musical excellence.
Here is a list of the records he has produced. You might have heard of a few of them:
Steve Miller Band – Children of the Future, 1968
Steve Miller Band – Sailor, 1968
Family – Family Entertainment, 1969
Steve Miller Band – Brave New World, 1969
Steve Miller Band – Your Saving Grace, 1969
Humble Pie – Humble Pie, 1970
Lambert and Nuttycombe - At Home, 1970
The Rolling Stones – Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert, 1970 "Produced by The Rolling Stones and Glyn Johns"
The Who – Who's Next, 1971 "Produced by The Who. Associate producer / Glyn Johns"
Faces – A Nod Is as Good as a Wink... to a Blind Horse, 1971
Boz Scaggs – Moments, 1971
Humble Pie – Rock On, 1971
Boz Scaggs – Boz Scaggs & Band, 1971
Eagles – Eagles, 1972
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils – The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, 1973
Eagles – Desperado, 1973
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils – It'll Shine When It Shines, 1974
Gallagher & Lyle – The Last Cowboy, 1974
Georgie Fame – Georgie Fame, 1974
Andy Fairweather Low – La Booga Rooga, 1975
The Who – The Who by Numbers, 1975
Fairport Convention – Rising for the Moon, 1975
Ron Wood & Ronnie Lane – Mahoney's Last Stand, 1976
Joan Armatrading – Joan Armatrading, 1976
Andy Fairweather Low – Be Bop 'N' Holla, 1976
Eric Clapton – Slowhand – 1977
Pete Townshend & Ronnie Lane – Rough Mix, 1977
Joan Armatrading – Show Some Emotion, 1977
The Who – Who Are You, 1978
Joan Armatrading – To the Limit, 1978
White Mansions – 1978
Eric Clapton – Backless, 1978
Marc Benno – Lost in Austin, 1979
Live Wire – Pick it up, 1979
Midnight Oil – Place Without a Postcard, 1981
Nine Below Zero – Don't Point Your Finger, 1981
The Clash – Combat Rock, 1982
The Who – It's Hard, 1982
Joan Armatrading – Track Record, 1983
Bob Dylan – Real Live, 1984
Téléphone – Un Autre Monde, 1984
New Model Army – The Ghost of Cain, 1986
John Hiatt – Slow Turning, 1988
John Hiatt - Stolen Moments, 1990
Stevie Nicks – Street Angel (uncredited), 1994
Crosby, Stills & Nash – After The Storm, (1994)
Belly – King (1995)
Joe Satriani – Joe Satriani, 1995
Linda Ronstadt – We Ran, 1998
Ryan Adams – Ashes & Fire, 2011
Band of Horses – Mirage Rock, 2012
The Staves – Dead & Born & Grown, 2012
Ian MacLagan – United States, 2014
Eric Clapton – I Still Do, 2016

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I am one of the millions who idolize Maria Callas who even though she passed in 1977 remains the number one in sales of her operatic recordings world wide.

Maria Callas sings “Voi lo sapete”, a soprano aria from Cavalleria rusticana, Italian for "rustic chivalry", an opera in one act by Pietro Mascagni to an Italian libretto by Giovanni Targioni-Tozzetti and Guido Menasci, premiered on 17 May 1890 in Rome, adapted from a play and short story written by the Italian realist (Verismo) writer Giovanni Verga.

Italian and English translation here https://andantemoderato.com/maria-callas-sings-voi-lo-sapete-cavalleria-rusticana/

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I am one of the millions who idolize Maria Callas who even though she passed in 1977 remains the number one in sales of her operatic recordings world wide.

Maria Callas sings “Voi lo sapete”, a soprano aria from Cavalleria rusticana, Italian for "rustic chivalry", an opera in one act by Pietro Mascagni to an Italian libretto by Giovanni Targioni-Tozzetti and Guido Menasci, premiered on 17 May 1890 in Rome, adapted from a play and short story written by the Italian realist (Verismo) writer Giovanni Verga.

Italian and English translation here https://andantemoderato.com/maria-callas-sings-voi-lo-sapete-cavalleria-rusticana/
Thanks for bringing a little class to the thread, UAH! :wink:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Coverdale-Page - FULL ALBUM! :cool2:

Coverdale•Page is an album by Whitesnake lead vocalist David Coverdale and former Led Zeppelin and London session guitarist Jimmy Page (as Coverdale•Page), released by Geffen Records on 15 March 1993. The album was recorded at Little Mountain Sound Studios in Vancouver, Criteria Studios in Miami, Granny's House in Reno, Nevada and Abbey Road Studios, London. Recording commenced in the fall of 1991 and concluded in early 1992. It was produced by Jimmy Page, David Coverdale and Canadian record producer, Mike Fraser.[SUP][2][/SUP]
According to David Coverdale, the traffic sign shown on the cover of the album signified "two roads joining to one road. Try to express unification or joining together."[SUP][3][/SUP]
The album reached No. 4 in the UK and No. 5 on the US Billboard 200 chart, while the first single released, "Pride and Joy", although barely making a dent on the pop charts, reached the No. 1 spot on the Album Rock Tracks chart for six weeks.[SUP][4][/SUP]

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Very cool! I listened twice and checked some other Dead South music.

I’ve never seen anyone play a cello either with a strap or as a bass.

Their tour schedule has them in Amsterdam March 27, Birmingham, AL on March 28, then Wuppertal, Germany on March 31. Damn!

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
A brass section has been part of Rock and Roll from almost day one. On Feb. 21, 1968, Blood, Sweat & Tears, one of the first bands to make the brass section part of the band, released their debut LP "Child Is Father to the Man."

BS&T was an evolving idea from Al Kooper. Al went to a concert for jazz trumpeter Maynard Ferguson in 1960. Ferguson's performance served as the catalyst to start a rock band with a horn section. Kooper was in The Blues Project, but left after the band leader rejected his idea of bringing in a horn section. It took Al some time between both coasts, but he finally got the guys to put a band together.

This album was recorded in two weeks in December 1967. After a brief promotional tour, Kooper ws fired from the band, which led to Child is Father to the Man being the only album Kooper ever appeared on. Despite being asked to leave Blood, Sweat & Tears, Kooper felt everything worked out well for him and the band.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I am a little obsessed with Queen right now. I watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other day and I have been listening to Queen ever since.

This is my favorite right now.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I still watch their Live Aid performance on youtube from time-to-time and it still blows me away. Freddy had that crowd eating out of his hands all performance long.

What is even more amazing is that the crowd were not mostly Queen fans. Queen was a last minute addition to the benefit concert. Just crazy!

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
What is even more amazing is that the crowd were not mostly Queen fans. Queen was a last minute addition to the benefit concert. Just crazy!
Think of those stars who turned down the chance to play at Live Aid. Guys like The Boss, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc. To me that was the performance that took Freddie from a great talent to legendary showman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.