What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaball2001

All-American
Aug 30, 2007
Snellville Georgia
John Mayall, USA Union.

If you are a fan of British blues this one is a treat. John teams up with Don "sugarcane" Harris (violin), Harvey Mandel (guitar) and Larry Taylor (bass) no drummer in this group. Amazing stuff for 1970.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Morning CD:

Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
I played that album, one of my favorites, a couple of days ago on the new turntable. I have been using no mat on the platter but that day tried a couple out.

Using no mat the sound was very good, big soundstage, very open, nice bass, mids and highs.
Using the Rega felt mat the sound seemed smaller even the room sounded smaller.
Using Herbie's Audio Grunge Buster Mat wow! Deeper bass and it sounded like the roof was removed from the room. The problem is the same feeling didn't happen on all the records I played using this mat. I need more time to evaluate it. I am back to no mat on the platter.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I killed 30 minutes today listening to: On LP

Die Walkure: Ride of the Valkyries
Tristan und Isolde: Prelude to Act I
Gotterdamerung: Siegfried's Funeral Music
Siegfried: Forest Murmurs

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Old-school stuff from a pandora station I made:

Traffic
Steve Winwood
Some acoustic blues by Clapton
Old-school Jethro Tull
Dave Mason (a few live ones of his from an album I need...)
(among others)

Been a great musical day, tater. ;)

And I do realize that Traffic, Steve W., & Dave M. are ever-so-slightly from the dept of redundancy dept...but I enjoyed all three nonetheless. Right now, it's "The Rock" from The Who's Quadrophenia. I can sing Who stuff & sound just like Roger D., but that requires me to turn it up louder than I should at work...:biggrin: Actually, it just switched to "Squonk" by Genesis, from back when Genesis was quite good.

Heading home momentarily, where it'll be the Within Temptation CD that exiled, jr. just hooked me up with last weekend while he was home.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
On LP:

Robert Plant/Allison Krause - Raising Sand - this unusual duet makes some beautiful music. Disc 2 side 2 has too of the best offerings in "Gone Gone Gone" and "Read The Letter". This Grammy award winning album is cut on 180 gram audiophile grade virgin vinyl, dead quiet and sonically explosive.

Under the careful sonic stewardship of producer T Bone Burnett, Raising Sand is pitched three steps beyond some cosmic collision of early urban blues, spacious West Texas country, and the unrealized potential of the folk-rock revolution. Shockingly evocative, it is an album that uncovers popular music’s elemental roots while sounding effortlessly, breathtakingly modern. Despite hailing from distinctly different backgrounds, Plant and Krauss share a maverick spirit and willingness to extend the boundaries of their respective genres. Raising Sand finds Plant and Krauss functioning as sympathetic equals: creating a powerful new sound from both their common musical ground and their unrivaled sense of empathy

Stevie Nicks - Crystal Visions, the very best of Stevie Nicks - A two album set of Stevie's best songs with Lindsay Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty and solo. Also cut on 180 gram audiophile grade virgin vinyl this album rocks.

Crosby Stills & Nash - Live in La - another 2 album set cut on 180 gram audiophile grade virgin vinyl. I used to steer clear of live albums because they didn't sound as good as studio albums. That is not always true and it is especially not true with this album. Songs are sung a little different than the studio versions and I like it. The songs are fresh and the music has a huge soundstage whether it's the bass line, accoustic guitar, drums or organ each voice and instrument finds its own place on the imaginary stage.

Another great live album to check out is "Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous".

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
My Morning Jacket - Live at Madison Sq Garden 2008.

It's a bootleg and isn't as good a recording as some of the others I have gotten, however you can still tell they are INTO it. Some great covers of Velvet Underground, James Brown, Bobby Womack, and Kool and The Gang(!).

If you haven't found MMJ, try their latest: "Evil Urges." "Aluminum Park" and "I'm Amazed" are practically worth the price by themselves.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
Bayou mentioned live albums and it reminded me to listen to Little Feat'sWaiting for Columbus. It is one of the better live albums ever made or at least for the time it was made. The whole album is good to me, but my highlight is Spanish Moon. Great song!

I did the cd thing today, but if you are interested in this in vinyl there are a couple of good options. MFSL makes a pretty good copy. I sold mine however when I found a German import. It had an Analog Revival sticker on the outside and is superior to the MFSL version. It is sweet.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Bayou mentioned live albums and it reminded me to listen to Little Feat'sWaiting for Columbus. It is one of the better live albums ever made or at least for the time it was made. The whole album is good to me, but my highlight is Spanish Moon. Great song!

I did the cd thing today, but if you are interested in this in vinyl there are a couple of good options. MFSL makes a pretty good copy. I sold mine however when I found a German import. It had an Analog Revival sticker on the outside and is superior to the MFSL version. It is sweet.
Great post Stan. Spanish Moon is an amazing cut on that album. Little Feat is backed up by the Tower of Power horn section on that cut and the Sax solo will send chills down your spine. That sax player hits a sustained high note that makes dogs run for cover. :)

The imports are another good comment. Mobile Fidelity Records are great in their own right but the import albums cut on 180 or 200 g audiophile vinyl are outrageously good. The Stevie Nicks and the CSN albums I listed above are both 180 g imports. I believe JVC, Sony and Nautilus all cut their records in Japan. Even the Jap CD's are superior to ours. I wonder how many people actually take care of their records after all many of them are antiques or close to it. They sound much better after a good scrubbing. I don't think I could do without my Disc Doctor Record Vac. It is all manual but does the job and if it died today I would buy another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.