What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
It is good to see some audiophiles out here. Our hobby I fear is dying to the cheap and easy sound of Ipods and downloads.

I have been putting together a system most of my life. Here is a pic of my tt.

That is not the tonearm I use. I have a Graham Robin, but it blows away the systemdek arm that I had on it that is basically a linn copy. I also have some old and very large b&w loudspeakers--808's, an old counterpoint amp and preamp(the sweet sound of tubes), a sony cd player that plays sacd's and is run thru an adcom d/a to improve regular cd's. I also have a vpi sds to control my turntable speed. It's a good thing I put this together before '05 because good paying jobs have become hard to come by and my place of employment for 33 years cut a trail in '05.

My music tastes are strictly my own. I see stuff here that I love and stuff that I care absolutely nothing about. In the last few days I have listened to the following

Santana Abraxas
Saint Saens 'danse macabre'
Lou Ann Barton
Fourplay
Gary Nicholson and Loose Change w/ Reese Winans
Sonny Landreth
Delbert McClinton- a favorite
Little Feat- also a favorite
Allman Brothers
Neil Young-both acoustic and electric

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Still in the process of putting a new system together, takes a bit longer when you have to have everything shipped to you.

Amp - Decware Taboo

6 watt single ended pentode. Uses EL 83, EL 84, 6BQ5 or 6P15P-EV power tubes. Signal tube can be 12ax7, 12au7 or 12at7.

Preamp - Decware CSP 2

Single Ended Triode, Stereo Preamplifier, Pure Class A1 operation, Dual Inputs, Stereo and Mono Outputs and Headphone Jack. User adjustable gain on each channel and front mounted Alps volume control. Hand-Built in the USA with USA parts. World voltage compatible. Lifetime warranty.

Phono Stage - Decware ZP 3

A passive RIAA with tube rectification and tube voltage regulation. Uses 12AX7 tubes for the gain stages and a 12AU7 for the output buffer stage. It has 42dB of gain with a 47K input impedance.

CD tube stage - Decware Z box

Mated to Adcom 700.

Spealers - Decware EER

Steve Deckert's latest version of the Radial Loudspeaker using his modified 8" radial driver and 4 inch / cast frame / isodynamic planar ribbon tweeter.
Under construction and I will be getting one of the first pair built. Cherry finish and yes that fan design on the front will be on the production unit.

Decware is a small production company I think there are maybe 5 people involved including the owner/designer/builder, secretary, cabinet builder, girl that takes the orders and takes care of shipping and customer service. What I like is I can call Steve and talk on the phone with him for an hour if I want and he will take the order, make suggestions, tell me what will and will not work for me.

Stand - VTI

I have the CD working using a pair of Jean Marie Reynaud Twins on target stands. I expect the rest to dribble in over the next 4-5 weeks. It's all hand built one piece at a time. Will post pics again when finished.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Looks sweet BT. My Adcom is the 700 as well. As far as I know Adcom has never replaced it with anything that sounded better.
Those CD decks were an anomaly in the audiophile world. They are multi-play, noisy when changing CDs and cost less than a mink coat. What they did do well was play music. I got mine from my neighbor who happened to be an Adcom dealer and he couldn't keep them in stock they were flying out the door so fast. Sometimes I think I want something like a Rega or Shanling then I come to my senses. Adcom was going to make a 750 but I don't know if they ever did.

Today I have to find out why my turntable doesn't work or buy a new one. Love your VPI Stan a VPI Scout might find it's way in my system. Other considerations are Roksan, Clearaudio, Pro-Ject, Music Hall and Rega.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I absolutely love the looks of the Scout. Due to this thread, I ran across some criticisms of the platter vs. the table I am using. You might want to check out. Of course you can always buy a platter upgrade, but the cost from VPI are exorbitant!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I absolutely love the looks of the Scout. Due to this thread, I ran across some criticisms of the platter vs. the table I am using. You might want to check out. Of course you can always buy a platter upgrade, but the cost from VPI are exorbitant!
No doubt the VPI is gorgeous just as it is and sounds just as good. You could do the Scout platter upgrade for around $300 and improve the system a bit. You are still using the Benz Glider I assume so it would cost an arm and a leg to upgrade from that. Have you tried any platter mats? I have been trying out a few lately and they all make the music sound different. I have a Rega felt mat, cork mat (I forget who makes that), and two mats from Herbie's Audio Lab I have his way excellent mat and his grungebuster mat. If there was a fire and I had to save just one mat I would grab the grungebuster ;). I also started using his super sonic stabilizer (Platter weight) instead of the screw down clamp that came with my table and I removed the spike feet to add a set of his Iso cups under the plinth but I changed the balls from lampblack to the grungebuster balls which are white.
At just over $100 for 3 support feet it could get pricy to put them under all components but I came up with an alternitive. Herbie sells the lampblack balls for $0.49 each and you can buy vibrapads for $6 each. The Vibrapad has a center well that fits the balls perfectly. Place a ball in the Vibrapad well and place that under your components. You only need three which will cost only $19.50, that's a set of footers that can't be beat price wise.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
Derek Trucks Band Songlines
Omar Dykes and Jimmy Vaughan On the Jimmy Reed Highway

The latter disc is what made me pull out the Lee Ann Barton. She sings some on the JR Highway.

I might should look for some Jimmy Reed and some Eddie Taylor. Good stuff!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Derek Trucks Band Songlines
Omar Dykes and Jimmy Vaughan On the Jimmy Reed Highway

The latter disc is what made me pull out the Lee Ann Barton. She sings some on the JR Highway.

I might should look for some Jimmy Reed and some Eddie Taylor. Good stuff!
I picked up an original copy of Jimmy Reed Live at Carnegie Hall at a Garage Sale a few years ago. If you listen in the background there is a female voice singing in the background very low. I have been told it was Jimmy's wife singing the words to him because he couldn't remember them.

I like all those old Blues masters and it was amazing how many played Tuscaloosa at the Druid City Lounge. Many Saturday nights I went to see artists like Walter Dixon, Muddy Waters, Lightning Hopkins, John Lee Hooker and several others. Most of the time I was the only white boy in the building and this was the mid 60s.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
The Chieftans - an Irish Evening at the Grand Opera with Roger Daltry and Nancy Griffith

Jimmy Cliff - Struggling Man - toe tappin' Reggae.

Midnight - Raz Mes Peace - Mapleshade Reggae recording. Not just another party band singing about dope and copping Bob Marley songs. Very powerful CD

Burning Spear - Social Living - Should be on the required list of any Reggae collection.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I added a Velodyne DLS 4000 subwoofer to my audio system today and what a difference. Just making do till the new speakers are delivered.

CD:

Tom Petty & the Heart Breakers
The Police
Bruce Springsteen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.