What are you listening to (Music)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
^^^

good catch . . make it four Dominoes with Whitlock . .

OK I think we hit one of those 'veins' now :p so be prepared for what I feel is one of the most special collaborations EVER in music history....

This is supposedly the only TV appearance ever by DATD......I wonder how that came to be? Johnny Cash had to figure into it somehow, I would think....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
(notes from the video) Superstar was written by Bonnie Bramlett (of Delaney and Bonnie) and Leon Russell in 1969. Originally accorded the less commercial - if rather more candid - title of Groupie, it first surfaced as a Delaney and Bonnie B-side and garnered more attention when Rita Coolidge sang it on Joe Cocker’s Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour and, subsequently, on the album. Her recording is considerably rawer then her later pop hits and well worth seeking out. Bette Midler sang it on The Johnny Carson Show which is where, reportedly, Richard Carpenter heard it and things really took off. It was, apparently, the Carpenters version that first substituted the line ‘And I can hardly wait to sleep with you again’ to ‘... be with you again’, thus thrilling the publishers by rendering it more radio-friendly. Around about this time Cher and Peggy Lee also recorded memorable versions – Lee’s version being particularly poignant as rendered from the standpoint of an older woman still haunted by a long ago liaison. Whizz forward three decades and the song’s co-writer recorded this perhaps definitive version when she for her I’m Still The Same album. Bramlett mines the lyric for everything it has, managing to find some of Karen Carpenter’s longing, Midler’s desperation and Lee’s ennui. It’s bloody good. Sadly, it’s probably the late great Luther Vandross we have to thank for the song’s abuse by American Idol and X Factor contestants over the years. His version is fine but loses the original meaning becoming a generalized account of loss and paving the way for its subsequent anathematizing and abuse by mindless melisma.

Husband-and-wife duo Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett were among the foremost proponents of blue-eyed soul in the 1960s and '70s. They're famous for luring Eric Clapton into their midst and influencing the direction of his solo work, but their own legacy stands up well beyond that. Delaney & Bonnie operated in a time when the boundaries of music were bursting open, and their sound is an organic mix of rock, blues, soul, gospel, and country which made for timeless songs and memorable performances. Accounts of the origin of "Groupie (Superstar)" vary somewhat, but the song grew out of the late 1969/early 1970 nexus of English and American musicians known as Delaney, Bonnie, & Friends that involved Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett, Leon Russell, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Rita Coolidge, and various others. The song's working title during portions of its development was "Groupie Song". In its first recorded incarnation, the song was called "Groupie (Superstar)", and was recorded and released as the B-Side to the Delaney & Bonnie single "Comin' Home" in December 1969. Released by Atlantic Records,, the full credit on the single was to Delaney & Bonnie and Friends Featuring Eric Clapton. Sung by Bonnie, the arrangement featured slow guitar and bass parts building up to an almost gospelish chorus using horns. The song featured Leon Russell on keyboards, Eric Clapton on guitar and Rita Coolidge doing background vocals. Some accounts have Coolidge suggesting or inspiring the song's creation in the first place, and working with Bonnie Bramlett on her portion of the writing. Coolidge would later go on to sing the song in Joe Cocker's live concert shows and would record the song for Cocker's live "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" album. The song was about, as the title suggests, a groupie who holds a strong love for a rock star after a short sexual involvement. He has moved on to the next town, and despite his promises to see her again she can now only hear him on the radio. She is just left with pure hopeless yearning as evidenced by the chorus: Don't you remember you told me you loved me, baby ? Said you'd be coming back this way again, baby ? Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh, baby...! Delaney & Bonnie were not yet well known at the time, and "Comin' Home" only reached #84 on the U.S. Singles Pop Chart, although it achieved a peak of #16 on the UK Singles Chart. At the time I created this video, I wasn't able to find out exactly which rock star the "groupie" is longing for, so I chose to focus on one of the rock icons of that era, Jim Morrison of The Doors. The video features a few concert clips as well as photos and home movies of Pamela Courson, his common-law wife. I've since learned that the song was actually written about Eric Clapton. GROUPIE (Superstar) (Words and music by Leon Russell and Bonnie Bramlett) Long ago and so far away, I fell in love with you Before the second show. Your guitar, It sounds so sweet and clear - But it's just the radio And you're not really here. Don't you remember you told me you loved me, baby? (You told me you loved me!) Said you'd be coming back this way again, baby... (I've been waiting for you, baby!) Don't you remember you told me you loved me, baby? Woah-oh, mmmm... Loneliness is such a sad affair (sad affair) And I can hardly wait to sleep with you again. What to say to make you come again? (come again) Come back and play for me your sad guitar. Oh, yeah! Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh, baby! (I've been waiting for you, baby!) Don't you remember you told me you loved me, baby? (You said you loved me, baby!) Said you'd be coming back this way again, baby (Baby, my baby!) Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh, baby! (I've been waiting for you, baby!) Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh, baby...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
More from the vein.......

• Steve Winwood -- vocals, guitar, piano, organ
  • Chris Wood -- saxophone, flute
  • Jim Capaldi -- percussion
  • David Hood -- bass
  • Roger Hawkins -- drums
  • Rebop -- percussion
  • Barry Beckett -- keyboards
  • Jimmy Johnson -- clarinet

Wah wah pedal on sax by Chris Wood.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Stranger in Town
is the tenth studio album by American rock singer Bob Seger and his second with the Silver Bullet Band, released by Capitol Records in May 1978 (see 1978 in music). Like its predecessor, the Silver Bullet Band backed Seger on about half of the songs and the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section backed Seger on the other half.

The album became an instant success in the United States, being certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America less than a month after the album's release, and, like its predecessor Night Moves, it would later go 6× Platinum. It was also his first album to chart in the UK, where limited editions were released on silver vinyl and in picture disc format as well as standard black vinyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.