BBQ Mop/Dippin' Sauce for Pulled Pork & Pork Ribs

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Add all ingredients into a sauce pan on the stove. Heat on LOW until ingredients are blended together. The heat is not intended to COOK the sauce but simply warm enough to get the ingredients to blend.
Once it blends cut heat off and let cool to room temperature where it is ready to serve. Or you can chill it in the frig and serve it cold. I prefer it at room temp.
Here's how I use it with my pulled pork and ribs.
For pulled pork. I fix my pull pork sandwich and take a tablespoon and add about two tablespoons of the sauce on my sandwich and eat.
For ribs. I smoke my ribs (without any rub or sauce) over oak wood and charcoal and add the sauce to the ribs one hour before ribs are to be pulled from the pit.
I hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
That is a very good sauce Buzzard. I make a variation of that occasionally (I'm really a bottle sauce guy) substitute the water with 1/2 cup cola or Dr. Pepper. It adds a little more sweetness but if that's a problem cut back on the sugar. I also add a tsp of crushed red pepper flakes since I like spicy sauce.

I do season my ribs the night before with a dry rub and wrap them in foil to go in the fridge. I feel that preseason penetrates into the meat for better flavor. I use commercial rub or just throw something together. All rubs seem to be sugar (brown or white) paprika, garlic or onion salt, a little cayenne, maybe some chili powder, oregano, thyme or basil. Texans like to throw in a bit of cinnamon in their beef rib rubs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That is a very good sauce Buzzard. I make a variation of that occasionally (I'm really a bottle sauce guy) substitute the water with 1/2 cup cola or Dr. Pepper. It adds a little more sweetness but if that's a problem cut back on the sugar. I also add a tsp of crushed red pepper flakes since I like spicy sauce.

I do season my ribs the night before with a dry rub and wrap them in foil to go in the fridge. I feel that preseason penetrates into the meat for better flavor. I use commercial rub or just throw something together. All rubs seem to be sugar (brown or white) paprika, garlic or onion salt, a little cayenne, maybe some chili powder, oregano, thyme or basil. Texans like to throw in a bit of cinnamon in their beef rib rubs.
Never thought about the cola instead of water. I'll try that next time. I've actually played with this sauce a lot over the years changing components of it to try to create a "better version". The one I posted is just one of the variations.

I'm about to try something on my next smoke that I stumbled onto by mistake. While I was making this sauce yesterday I accidentally spilled my teaspoon of black pepper into the cup of mustard. Since it was all going into the same sauce pan anyway I went ahead and stirred it together with just the mustard and the black pepper. I dipped my finger in it and OH MY LAWD!!! It was very very good. So on my next smoke I'm going to rub down my ribs with a mix of yellow mustard and black pepper and see how it turns out. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Go ahead and add a little salt too. I have used wet mustard rubs on mostly pork quite a few times. The mustard adds flavor but the mustard flavor isn't overwhelming and it makes a good platform to hold other spices in place. Works good on whole fish too.

nasatidefan

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 24, 2005
Cullman, AL
I don't mean to jump in on yall's thread but I just wanted to give 2 thumbs up on the Mustard/Salt/Pepper combo on pork, ribs in particular. I like my ribs dry and I've been rubbing mustard on my ribs and grinding salt and pepper on them for about 4 years, pretty heavy on the pepper. I let them sit overnight. After trying a million and one things this simple recipe is by far my favorite. It's a hit too with all the moochers in the neighborhood. The sauce sounds good Buzzard, I'm gonna give it a try.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't mean to jump in on yall's thread but I just wanted to give 2 thumbs up on the Mustard/Salt/Pepper combo on pork, ribs in particular. I like my ribs dry and I've been rubbing mustard on my ribs and grinding salt and pepper on them for about 4 years, pretty heavy on the pepper. I let them sit overnight. After trying a million and one things this simple recipe is by far my favorite. It's a hit too with all the moochers in the neighborhood. The sauce sounds good Buzzard, I'm gonna give it a try.
How much pepper do you use in yours? That way I'll have a point of reference to go from. With regards to the mop sauce recipe.

If you want to calm the vinegar down just add more water to it.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Guys I ran across this spice last year and have been using it in my cooking ever since. I use it just like I would use black pepper. Its a mix of black pepper and cayenne pepper. It doesn't raise the heat level too much but it does add some extra kick. It's really good in rubs, on eggs, in sauces and gravies.

Mash here to order

Buy a shaker jar and one refill. The refill will fill the shaker almost two times.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Guys I ran across this spice last year and have been using it in my cooking ever since. I use it just like I would use black pepper. Its a mix of black pepper and cayenne pepper. It doesn't raise the heat level too much but it does add some extra kick. It's really good in rubs, on eggs, in sauces and gravies.

Mash here to order

Buy a shaker jar and one refill. The refill will fill the shaker almost two times.
I've gotten several blends from them--really good stuff.

Thanks Buzzard. I made that mop today and it was good!. I always rub the ribs the night before and stick em in the fridge. I cooked two slabs of St. Louis ribs and cut the recipe in half.....it turned out perfect! The only thing I did different was add a shot of bourbon. Good stuff, good recipe! THANKS!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Thanks Buzzard. I made that mop today and it was good!. I always rub the ribs the night before and stick em in the fridge. I cooked two slabs of St. Louis ribs and cut the recipe in half.....it turned out perfect! The only thing I did different was add a shot of bourbon. Good stuff, good recipe! THANKS!!
Great. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to try the bourbon. That does sound good. :)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I've found with bbq many times "simpler" is MUCH MUCH better. When I first starting bbq'n I got all into rubs and thought that was the key to good Q. But I was dead wrong. I cut way back on the rub fascination and simply started focusing on the meat. I now do not do ANYTHING to my ribs before I put them on the smoker. I smoke them "naked" for the first four to four and a half hours then the last half hour to an hour I put this mop sauce on them and let the heat caramelize it to the ribs. I do the same with pork butts.

I've now got people ASKING me to smoke meat for them. I just did pork butts and ribs for a party of 50 two weekends ago. Two days after I had a guy from the party ask me would I smoke several slabs for him for his personal consumption. It's not that I'm a great bbq'er I just figured out that the meat, smoke and heat does a great job by itself. It doesn't need me screwing it up. :)

nasatidefan

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 24, 2005
Cullman, AL
I've found with bbq many times "simpler" is MUCH MUCH better. When I first starting bbq'n I got all into rubs and thought that was the key to good Q. But I was dead wrong. I cut way back on the rub fascination and simply started focusing on the meat. I now do not do ANYTHING to my ribs before I put them on the smoker. I smoke them "naked" for the first four to four and a half hours then the last half hour to an hour I put this mop sauce on them and let the heat caramelize it to the ribs. I do the same with pork butts.

I've now got people ASKING me to smoke meat for them. I just did pork butts and ribs for a party of 50 two weekends ago. Two days after I had a guy from the party ask me would I smoke several slabs for him for his personal consumption. It's not that I'm a great bbq'er I just figured out that the meat, smoke and heat does a great job by itself. It doesn't need me screwing it up. :)
That is sound advice BB. I've come to discover, as you have too, that if your looking for some kick or sweetness or whatever to your meat, a good sauce near the end will do just fine. There ain't no telling how many things I've tried and "off the shelf" rubs I've bought over the years and thrown away. Simpler IS better. Same goes for Chickens and such too. Salt, Pepper and Beer over Pecan wood is my favorite for fowl. Breast down in a pan is the trick for super moist Turkey breast. I'm not a hugh Chicken fan but a smoker full of Chicken halves is pretty awesome grub.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama

Mash here to order

Seems like it would be simple enough to make your own and you could make it to suit your taste. Also would be a lot cheaper.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.