Link: Top foods people love or hate:

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned liver yet. I love me some liver, especially chicken livers.
Liver = no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!

My Mom loves fried chicken livers over rice with brown gravy. We have one "family style" restaurant here that serves it just to "her likin'". She allows herself a dish twice a year. Yuck!!!

T-Mac: If you like fried chicken livers, you need to try Neighbors Seafood & Chicken on Three Notch Road (off Hwy 90).

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Liver = no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!

My Mom loves fried chicken livers over rice with brown gravy. We have one "family style" restaurant here that serves it just to "her likin'". She allows herself a dish twice a year. Yuck!!!

T-Mac: If you like fried chicken livers, you need to try Neighbors Seafood & Chicken on Three Notch Road (off Hwy 90).
I will, how is their seafood?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Same here with boiled okra, also don't like liver of any kind, can't handle most stewed leafy vegatables - i.e, greens, spinich, etc. and "no" to anchovies as well.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I don't eat anything cooked with curry powder nor do I eat licorice. My favorite time of the year is coming up, spring-early summer and all the fresh veggies.

I

It's On A Slab

I always throw away the gizzard bag in store-bought turkeys and other poultry.

My Mom swears by using gizzards in gravy. As a youngster, i would just pick out all that awful stuff.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Love raw carrots; despise cooked ones.

Love raw cabbage in a salad; despise steamed or any other cooked kind. (Although, when I was in eastern Europe, I learned to enjoy some Borsche. But I'm not in eastern Europe now...;) )

Fried okra's ok; in gumbo boiled is good; steamed...I'll pass. Here's a weird way I like it: pop some raw okra into the microwave for just a short time, then take it out & salt a bit. Comes out crunchy, but not like fried.

Liver: negative. As Merle Haggard sang, "Momma Tried"... :)

Strawberries!!! Oh man, Slab...my very favorite thing. I can eat 'em every meal if they're fresh. HUGE caveat: I do NOT like them after they've been frozen & come out all mushy. But give me some fresh strawberries w/ just a touch of Splenda & I'm a very happy man.

Tomatoes: all day long if fresh. Slice 'em & eat 'em; no additional prep required. Although a 'mater sammich is a Spring/summer treat of mine. White bread, a touch of mustard, & I'm set.

Here's one for the hate list: apparently everybody on the planet except me loves mushrooms. I tried for several years, and have given up. They can't be made good to me. mrs. exiled *loves* them on pizza or on a burger; I'd rather throw some grass clippings & dirt on mine than 'shrooms.

And hold the mayo in any form on anything. I'm a ketchup & mustard guy. No mayo.

OK, I'm off to eat some strawberries now for bkfst.

exiled

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Here's one for the hate list: apparently everybody on the planet except me loves mushrooms. I tried for several years, and have given up. They can't be made good to me. mrs. exiled *loves* them on pizza or on a burger; I'd rather throw some grass clippings & dirt on mine than 'shrooms.

exiled
Speaking of mushrooms, my wife and I recently tried a new way of cooking them to eat with our steak and they were TERRIFIC! and very easy.

Minch 2 or 3 cloves of garlic in a pan and add olive oil. Heat to med/med high and then add a sliced onion and sliced portabella mushrooms. Stir constantly and you may need to add a small amount of additional olive oil as the shrooms tend to soak it up. After they have cooked down (about 6-10 min) add season salt to taste. *important* don't add the season salt until right before you remove from heat. These are delicious by themselves and compliment a steak or mushroom/swiss burger very well. Last weekend we made these to go along with a friend's elk steaks and although he professed to HATE mushrooms, after he tried these, he went back for seconds.:)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Speaking of mushrooms, my wife and I recently tried a new way of cooking them to eat with our steak and they were TERRIFIC! and very easy.

Minch 2 or 3 cloves of garlic in a pan and add olive oil. Heat to med/med high and then add a sliced onion and sliced portabella mushrooms. Stir constantly and you may need to add a small amount of additional olive oil as the shrooms tend to soak it up. After they have cooked down (about 6-10 min) add season salt to taste. *important* don't add the season salt until right before you remove from heat. These are delicious by themselves and compliment a steak or mushroom/swiss burger very well. Last weekend we made these to go along with a friend's elk steaks and although he professed to HATE mushrooms, after he tried these, he went back for seconds.:)
Me too. Onions & mushrooms are one of my favorite side dishes, especially along side a nicely grilled steak.
Brussels sprouts are another of my favorites, boiled, steamed or fried.

Along the HATE line, I can't stand sweet peas, especially when served as a side dish. I can handle them in a soup or stew, just not by themselves. Ditto for asparagus and boiled okra (fried okra is OK).

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Chicken Livers=gag a maggot

BUT, I love the gizzards. When I was in college, ate at a chicken joint many a time and got the gizzard plate.

WAW4Tide

1st Team
Sep 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
Brussell(sp.) sprouts. I've tried them every which way. I don't care for them.
I hated brussel sprouts until i made them this way.
Wash and clean the sprouts and boil them for like 10 to fifteen minutes then remove them and cool. Cut up a package of bacon into one inch strips and cook until crispy in a skillet. Remove the bacon and then add a little olive oil and brown some thinly sliced onion and garlic. While that is cooking cut the brussel sprouts in half. When the onions and garlic is cooked add the brussel sprouts cut side down to the pan and allow to cook until crisping up on that side. When they start to do that sprinkle with a heavy dose of parmesan cheese. Serve and drizzle with aged balsamic vinegar.

BigCountry

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2006
New Hope, Alabama
I hate celery! Celery is a seasoning not a food! It lends something good to dishes when finely chopped and used sparingly, but raw, YUCK! It's awful!

Shrimp are the root of all evil.

Crab is a close second.

JagTider

Suspended
May 28, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
How on earth can you hate strawberries!?!?

Anyway, black licorice candy is terrible although I do like anise and fennel as spices.

And there is waaaaaay too much meat on any animal to be eating the guts!!! Liver is the worst thing on this planet!!! It is the one thing that I ask not even be cooked in my house because of the smell!!!

Don't like anchovies by themselves, but love them in some of the Italian sauces.

The rest of the stuff everyone has mentioned sounds pretty good to me, as I'm not real picky and enjoy most everything I eat.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
What about a recipe for the cajun seafood salad?

For Mayo

1 med. garlic clove
1 c. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. fresh Italian parsley leaves
1 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. drained capers
2 tsp. hot spicy mustard
2 tsp. drained prepared horseradish
1 1/2 tsp. fresh tarragon leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried, crumbled
1/2 tsp. ground dried oregano
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt.

For salad:
1 lb. fresh lump crabmeat or frozen, thawed (or shrimp)
1 lg. plum tomato, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/4 inch dice
1/2 c. diced celery
4 green onions, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 lg. green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice

For Mayonnaise: Mince garlic in blender or processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend until thoroughly combined and herbs are minced. Adjust seasoning.

For Salad: Combine crabmeat, tomato, celery, green onions, and bell pepper in large bowl (can be prepared 3 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate.) Mix in lime juice and 1/4 cup mayonnaise.

Serve with crackers, celery, and remaing mayo

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm surprise oysters didn't make that list. I love them, but I've seen people cringe when they think about eating them on the half shell.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I'm surprise oysters didn't make that list. I love them, but I've seen people cringe when they think about eating them on the half shell.
I've never met an ocean oyster I didn't like. I have one dog that will eat raw oysters with me but the other one runs from them. :)

I'm surprised sweetbreads didn't make the list. I love well prepared sweetbreads and manage to have them three or four times a year.

There isn't enough drunk in this world for me to eat things like lamb fritters, mountain oysters, brains, or lungs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.