BBQ / Meat: Pork Loin Country Style Ribs

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I fired up my grill for the first time this year, so to initiate the '09 grilling season, I cooked one of my favorite rib dishes.
This is a fairly easy recipe, and allows for a number of variations. It can also be done in the oven if the weather doesn't cooperate with your grilling plans.

8- Pork Loin "Country Style" ribs (about 4 lbs)
1- Large white or yellow onion
1- Medium size green or yellow pepper
1- 12 oz can Pineapple Chunks (with juice)
2- Tbsp Pure Honey
2 - Cups Marinade (I used a commercial Teriyaki marinade)
2 - Cups of (your favorite commercial or homemade) BBQ sauce.
1 cup "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" (or your favorite dry rub)
Salt and pepper to taste (or any non-salt dry seasoning)

Start the day before by seasoning the ribs with "Butt Rub" (or another dry rub), seal ribs in a large zip lock bag and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, add the marinade, mix around so that the ribs are well-coated, and refrigerate them for another 4 hours.
Put the ribs in a plastic or metal draining dish and allow the excess marinade to drain off. It also allows them to warm up while you're heating up the grill. (I let the ribs drain and warm up for at least an hour to reduce the temperature shock when they're placed on the grill.

Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the top rack of your grill and put the ribs on for about 15 minutes per side. When browned sufficiently, pull them from the grill temporarily.
While the ribs are browning, cut the onion and green pepper in half horizontally, then cut each half into vertical strips, each strip about 1/4" wide.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix the onion, green pepper, pineapple chunks, honey and BBQ sauce.
Cover the bottom of a large shallow baking pan with aluminum foil. Place the ribs in the pan, then top with the mix above. At this point, you may salt and pepper to taste, or top with any non-salt dry seasoning such as "Mrs. Dash". Cover the entire pan with another sheet of aluminum foil, then put the pan on the top rack of the grill. Put the top down and let it cook for 2 hours.
Remove and serve.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Try that with chicken wings! Ive done almost the same thing with chicken wings.. real good.
Heck yeah, substitute hoisin sauce for BBQ sauce (it's nothing but Chinese bbq sauce anyway) and use some Chinese 5 spice or 7 spice for the rub and you have sweet and sour. I have done this with skewered chicken and pork. I like the idea of using it on a larger chunk of meat. :)

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
For some reason, I can't get a good handle on country style ribs. They end up being too fatty or I overcook them & they're dry. This recipe sounds delicious though.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
For some reason, I can't get a good handle on country style ribs. They end up being too fatty or I overcook them & they're dry. This recipe sounds delicious though.
I bet the trusty crock pot would cure the too dry part as for too fatty look for ones with more lean on them or separate the lean from the fat after they cook.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.