Entre: Coon and Sweet Potatoes

bamabaseballfan

1st Team
Aug 9, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Coon and Sweet Taters

Put the coon in a large stock pot and fill it with water until the coon is covered. Liberally season the water with all of the ingredients listed above except the Cayenne pepper(a little goes a long way).

Boil over medium heat for 2-3 hours or until the coon starts coming off the bone.

While the coon is cooking wrap each sweet potatoes in foil and bake it in the oven at 400 degrees until soft.

The next step is individual preference. You can place the coon in the middle of a turkey pan and place the unwrapped sweet potatoes around the coon and put it in the oven to brown the coon. Or, you can put it in the fridge until the next day and let the flavors really blend with the coon; then put the sweet potatoes and coon in the turkey pan and brown the coon in the oven.

As my friend says, "When that coon juice and that sweet tater juice start gettin together, that's when things get good."

Last edited:

BigCountry

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2006
New Hope, Alabama
This sounds good! I love sweet taters (Poot Roots as I call them, no need to explain why) and I have no problem eating coon, it has a great taste and not overly gamey. I don't care what it is as long as it tastes good!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Never had it, but I've always been curious about it. I see no reason why it wouldn't be tasty when you consider their diet, as opposed to a possum.....ugh, which I will never try.

bamabaseballfan

1st Team
Aug 9, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Never had it, but I've always been curious about it. I see no reason why it wouldn't be tasty when you consider their diet, as opposed to a possum.....ugh, which I will never try.
An opossum will eat anything, are filthy, and disease ridden. At least a coon is clean and cleans it's food before it eats it.

NewberryCock

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 13, 2009
SC
I had coon many years ago for the first time.An old friend I knew would trap them and then feed them a particular diet for about 2 weeks, in a chicken coop used as a holding pen.This was a stew with carrots and potatos,celery,onions, thyme,white pepper,seasoned salt and cut up much like a chicken as I remember.I was about 12 or 13 at the time and didn't notice until later,that the coon I saw 2 days before in the pen was my supper the previous nite.It was excellent! While I have never been the chef for this meal, I have had coon a couple more times on hunting or fishing trips since, and it was always prepared in this way.Anyone know of anymore recipes?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.