Entre: Prairie Fire Chili with Beans

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Cut the steak into small strips or cubes, then saute in hot oil. In a separate pan, brown the burger & sausage. When the meat is about half browned, add the diced onions. Cook til the ground meat is nicely browned, then drain the grease. Add the steak to the pot.
At this point you're ready for the beef broth. Pour over the meat & turn up heat to med. Stir in the roasted red peppers, diced canned japs, fresh minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, paprika, Worc sauce & pepper. Stir vigorously till all the dry ingredients dissolve, then add the Tabasco. If you want to add tomato paste, do it now.
Once the spices are mixed well, add the tomatoes and beans. Stir over med to high heat for about 15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer. It's best to let it cook for at least two hours, and four is better. This will give the broth enough time to work the capsicum out of the pepper and cook the metallic taste out of the chili powder. Bear in mind it'll take about 1 & 1/2 hours for the steak or pork loin to break down and become tender.
Once the chili has simmered, it's ready to thicken. You can use either cornstarch mixed with equal parts cold water, or you can use roux. To thicken with cornstarch, give the starch & water mix a good stir, then slowly blend into the chili with a wire wisk. Roux is a cooked thickener made with equal parts oil and AP flour. To make it, heat the oil over low/med heat & stir in the flour, stirring til it's all incorporated. Continue to cook til light brown, stirring continuously. If you wish to thicken with roux, use it as you would the cornstarch, mixing in a little at a time with a wisk. In either case, bring the chili up to a boil for two minutes, stirring to keep from burning, to gelatinize all the starch. (If you thicken with roux, it's best to then reduce to a simmer for another half hour til the raw taste of flour is gone. Roux binding takes awhile, but won't break if you decide to freeze it, whereas cornstarch thickened sauces will. Hey, I never said this was as fast as opening a can of Hormel.
Remove from the heat & let stand a few minutes.

I

It's On A Slab

Good heavens. That recipe must serve 20.

Sounds delicious. What size pot or cauldron do you brew up this dish in?

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Good heavens. That recipe must serve 20.

Sounds delicious. What size pot or cauldron do you brew up this dish in?
I used a 16 qt LeCreuset stock pot and it filled the pot a little over half full. I figure a 9-10 qt pot would be a minimum but you would have chili for days.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
This is awesome.. ive been looking for a real good chili recipe. Im probably gonna try this real soon.
I'll reveal a little secret, step 16 add white pepper, I have white pepper but saw no reason for it in this dish so I doubled up on the black and red spice.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I'll reveal a little secret, step 16 add white pepper, I have white pepper but saw no reason for it in this dish so I doubled up on the black and red spice.

I was watching a chili cook-off once, and it seemed all the big hitters were doing something called "spice dumps" where they add different spices at different times during the cooking process. Something about layering the flavors. None of them added everything at the beginning. You know anything about that?

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I was watching a chili cook-off once, and it seemed all the big hitters were doing something called "spice dumps" where they add different spices at different times during the cooking process. Something about layering the flavors. None of them added everything at the beginning. You know anything about that?
Yeah but I'm not sure how to 'splain it. There would be a batch of spices when cooking the meat, another as the wet ingredients are added and another towards the end to adjust the taste and add the last layer these spices would be things like parsley, green onion tops or some other fresh herb. There may be a step where you would remove bay leaf or a bouquet garni or something like that.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'd like to try that recipe sometime, I'm a sucker for chili. I've got a vegetable soup I make that leaves us with tons of soup but that's when you give to friends and anyone that's hungry!

I

It's On A Slab

Yeah but I'm not sure how to 'splain it. There would be a batch of spices when cooking the meat, another as the wet ingredients are added and another towards the end to adjust the taste and add the last layer these spices would be things like parsley, green onion tops or some other fresh herb. There may be a step where you would remove bay leaf or a bouquet garni or something like that.
I've always found that my chili tastes better after its been put up and reheated the next day. Something about the spices that don't really get mature until they've had an overnight to make themselves known.

Also, I always laugh when folks bring their favorite chili to work, saying everyone raves about it. And it ends up being a very bland, watery tomato soup with stiff kidney beans thrown in. To me, chili is thick, masa-based, spicy hot, chunky meat....with everyone's own favorite beans(I prefere to mix it up with black beans, pintos I even threw in some fava beans once)...... It's not a watery soup....it's chili!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.