TOP CHEF Round 3

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
OK Chefs this week is a little different sort of challenge. I am having a Cinco de Mayo party in two weeks and need some ideas for my menu. I need at least two main dishes and a few appetizers. Some drink ideas might come into play as well and I do have a margarita machine and wet bar. The winning dishes will be presented at the party (with pictures) and the winner will get immunity for the following week. I'm looking for something great, tasty and fun. The party will be small, maybe 15 people. Entertainment will be Spanish music, music video and Guitar Hero on the outdoor flat screen TV.

Help make this Fiesta special and gain immunity for yourself. You have till 9 PM Friday to submit a menu. You will be judged on creativity, presentation and variety. Good luck and think Mexican.

DrBama

1st Team
Oct 12, 1999
Coker, AL
Okay, as per my question above, I'm going with a dessert for your party. My favorite Mexican dessert is Pastel de tres leches or "cake of three milks". It is Latin America's version of tiramisu. I took the original recipe from my hero, Alton Brown, on the show Good Eats and tweaked it a bit to make it into a coconut tres leche cake with a splash of rum for flavoring but not enough for it to be a pastel borracho (drunken cake). I've gotten some rave reviews on this one and was hoping you'd accept a dessert for this round....

Crank up the heat with your other dishes, Bayou....this will cool those taste buds down!!! I hope you enjoy!

Coconut Tres Leche Cake

Ingredients

For the cake:
Vegetable oil
6 3/4 ounces cake flour, plus extra for pan
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces sugar
5 whole eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For the glaze:
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons dark rum

For the topping:
2 cups heavy cream
8 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened flake coconut

Directions

For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour a 13 by 9-inch metal pan and set aside.
Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
Place the butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 1 minute. Decrease the speed to low and with the mixer still running, gradually add the sugar over 1 minute. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl, if necessary. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix to thoroughly combine. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture to the batter in 3 batches and mix just until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread evenly. This will appear to be a very small amount of batter. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F.
Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Poke the top of the cake all over with a skewer or fork. Allow the cake to cool completely and then prepare the glaze.

For the glaze:
Whisk together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk and dark rum in a 1-quart measuring cup. Once combined, pour the glaze over the cake. Refrigerate the cake overnight.

For the Topping:
Place the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk together on low until stiff peaks are formed. Change to medium speed and whisk until thick. Spread the topping over the cake. To toast coconut, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add coconut and spread it in an even layer. Cook, stirring often, until coconut is lightly toasted and browned. Careful with this step, as the coconut can burn easily. Spead toasted coconut over top of cake and allow to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Last edited:

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
The Cocktail: Top shelf Margaritas:
1 oz. of a good golden tequila ( At least Jose'Cuervo , None of that cheap Pepe' Lopez crap)
1/2 oz Grand Mariner ( put away that triple sec junk, better yet, toss it!)
1 oz fresh sqeezed lime juice. ( No store bought mix, no "lime juice from concentrate".)
1/2 teaspoon of Sugar
Salt (Optional. I usually skip it, but hey, it's an option).
Lime wedge( see^).
Crushed Ice or cubes. (me I like the cubes, they don't seem to water down your drink as much).
( Note: You will use all fo these ingredients in your dessert, so buy plenty when your at the store).

If you insisted on salting you glass, rub a lime wedge around the rim. Turn the glass upside down on a small plate or saucer, cover with salt. Shake the tequlia, grand mariner limejuice and sugar in a shaker, (or stir witha spoon), and pour over ice. Or put in a bllender or margarita machine.

Appetizer: Chapulines

1lb of Grasshoppers
3 cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
1 Serrano Chile, seeded and diced
1 lime, cut into wedges
1/2 an onion, chopped
1/2 cup of oil for frying
Salt to taste.

Pull the wings and legs off of each chapuline. Heat oil in a pan sauteing the onions garlic and pepper until the onions are translucent. Using a slotted spoon remove and discard the onions pepper and garlic leaving the oil in the pan. Saute the chapulines in the oil until they are brown and crispy. Remove from oi,l and drain on paper towels. Salt to taste, and then squeeze some fresh lime juice on them. Great appetizer straight out of the bowl, or place between to small round tortillas, adding shredded lettuce, guacamole, sourcream, shredded cheese and any other fixings. cut into triangles for delicious, quesideas!

The following recipe yields for 4, since you are having a party I would adjust for the amount of people you are expecting.

Main Course: FISH TACOS WITH LIME-CILANTRO CREMA'

CREMA'

1/4 Cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons MAYOnaise ( yea, I put the mayo in Cinco Da Mayo:biggrin:)
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice.
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 clove of galric minced.

TACOS

1teaspoon ground cumin
1teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 lbs red snapper fillets( any firm white meat fish will do, including grouper or sea bass)
cooking spray
6" ground corn tortllias
2 cups of shredded cabbage.

DIRECTIONS
Pre Heat Oven To 425*F

For Crema mix first 8 ingredients well, in a bowl and set aside.

For tacos combine cumin and the next five ingredients in a small bowl, and then sprinkle over both sides of fish. Place fish over baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray. Cook for 9 minutes at 425*F, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Place fish in a bowl and break into pieces with a fork. Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas, top with 1/4 cup of cabbage and one tablespoon of crema. serve with Ice Cold Tecate' beer.

Side Dish: Spainish Rice
1 1/2 cups rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup plain tomato sauce.
3 cloves of finely chopped garlic
1/4 of medium onion
2 table spoonsof oil
4 heaping teaspoons of finely chopped parsley.

In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Ad garlic and onion. Saute 1-2 minutes until softened Add in dry white rice. Stir for aprox 5 minutes until rice is golden / brown in color. Slowly stir broth and tomato sauce into the rice ( not directly onto the hot pan). Add parsely. Mix all ingredents well, and bring to a boil. Once it boils turn down to a simmer, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Dessert:

1 1/2 cups crushed thin pretzel sticks.
1 1/3 cups of sugar
1/2 cup butter,
Zest of one lime
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 fourteen once can of sweetend condensed milk.
2 Tablespoons of tequila
2 tablespoons of Grand Mariner
1 1/2 cups whipped heavy cream (divided use)
12 mini pretzels (garnish)
4 very thinly lime slices, cut in 1/2 (garnish)

Combine crushed pretzels, melted butter, and sugar in a medium bowl. Press firmly onto the bottom and sides of a 9" pie dish. Chill for an hour. ( The dish not you).
In a clean bowl combine lime zest, lime juice, condensed milk, tequila,and grand mariner. Fold in whipped cream and pour into cold pie crust.and freeze for 4 hours.
decorate with reamining whipped cream, pretzels, and lime slices.

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Living in Tampa has its benefits for me this week. We have friends who are of Spanish decent from many different countries, Mexico, Chile, Cuba, Spain, etc. So, over the years I have collected different ideas from each and love to prepare them for parties. Since yours is Cinco de Mayo, I'll stick with Mexican.

To start, I have 2 ideas for your appetizers:

The first one comes from grilling with my former neighbor-friend who was from Phoenix, AZ and of Mexican decent. He and I would try to "one up" each other on the grill. This is one he said that his grandfather would prepare for get togethers and holidays.

Abuleo's Grilled Artichokes

Ingredients:
12 large young artichokes
1 1/2 cups sherry wine vinegar
1/2 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and ground pepper

Preparation:

1. One by one, grip the artichokes by the stalk and strike against the work surface to open them without breaking off the leaves.
2. Cut off the stalks, wash in cold water and drain.
3. Arrange a layer of artichokes in a large bowl.
4. Season well and sprinkle generously with vinegar, then add a little fresh lemon juice and a trickle of oil.

After they have marinated for 20-30 minutes, grill the artichokes over charcoal or hardwood, basting them with the marinade evenly. Serve very hot, two to a plate, in a "sitting position" with the leaves pointing upwards. Serves 6.

A few years ago, while in San Anotonio, TX, I ate at a restaurant on the river walk that had these awesome tequilla shrimp tacos. I took the idea and made it better with a better tequila, Sammy Hagar's Cabo. If you can't get this or don't want to pay that much, use another higher grade tequilla like Jose Premium Light. Another different ingrediant they used was dark ale. So, I did a little better and used Sam Adams ale. Any amber to brown ale will do here as well. The combo of the ale and tequila give these tacos a fantastic flavor, be careful of the flame as well - be sure to add to the pan off heat.

Derek's Cabo Wabo Shrimp Tacos

Ingrediants:
1 lb peeled, uncooked shrimp cut into small pieces
2 large cloves garlic, minced fine
½ cup cilantro, chopped fine
Peanut oil, for sauteing
¼ cup Cabo Wabo tequila
¼ cup Samuel Adams Brown ale
10 corn tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup purple cabbage, shredded fine
Your favorite hot sauce

Preparation:

1. Combine shrimp, cilantro and garlic in a medium bowl - mix well and let sit about 10 minutes - if you have more time that’s good, just put them in the fridge
2. Heat no-stick pan really well and then add about 1 tablespoon peanut oil
3. Add shrimp and stir fry quickly - they’ll cook fast
4. When almost cooked, remove from heat (you don’t want a flame-up) and add the tequila and beer - mix gently
5. After about a minute, return to the heat and stir well
6. Serve by putting some sour cream on a tortilla, then a little cabbage, the shrimp and a final drizzle of the hot sauce. Enjoy!

Makes 10

To finish, I have a drink recipe that is always a favorite with everyone. This comes from a good friend who had these at a bar in Chamela, Mexico back in the 80s. A fun shooter that tastes great.

Chamela Twister Shots

Ingredients:
Ice for shaker
6 oz. Cabo Wabo tequila
1 cup (8 oz) orange juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
finely grated rind from 1/2 of a lime
sugar
5 strawberries or orange wedges

Preparation:

Place 5-6 large shot glasses in the freezer until frosty. Use a lime wedge to moisten the rim of each glass and dip the rim in a small plateful of sugar.
In a shaker combine tequila, orange juice, lime juice and lime rind. Shake vigorously for 10-20 seconds until ingredients are incorporated. Let it sit for about a minute to allow the lime rind to flavor the mixture. Add ice to shaker, shake again to cool and then pour into each glass. Garnish each glass with a strawberry or orange wedge.

WAW4Tide

1st Team
Sep 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
Well you have really thrown a curve ball here since I basically submitted a Mexican dish during week 1, so I am going to dig deep here. For this challenge I am going to submit some dishes that are Mexican inspired, but feature flavor profiles that are not traditionally Mexican. Hope this is ok.
Amalfi duo of Stuffed Grilled Peppers
Each of the following should make around 6 peppers so you can alter the recipes accordingly for your party.
The Greek:
½ pound ground lamb
¼ ground pork
Zest of ½ lemon
1 tsp of capers and their juice
1 tbs of Dijon mustard
1.5 tsp of finely chopped mint
¼ of a red onion finely chopped
8 oz of crumbled feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
6 Poblano/ Green hatch/ Anaheim peppers (Poblanos are the easiest)
1.Wash the peppers and cut the tops off of them and remove the stems. Remove the seed and set aside.
2.Brown the lamb and pork in a pan like you would if making taco meat. Then drain through a colander and allow to cool.
3.After the meat has cooled mix the meat together with the lemon zest, red onion, capers, mint, mustard, salt and pepper, and cheese.
4.Spoon this mixture into each of the peppers leaving some room at the top. Take the tops of the peppers and force them back into the peppers. They will not want to fit but squeeze them back into the peppers gently and they will go in.
5.Grill the peppers over medium heat on all sides just until they start to blacken.
6.Serve with a knife and fork.

The Italian
¾ of a pound of ground spicy Italian sausage (if using link sausage remove casing and mix up)
¼ cup diced banana peppers (fresh or jarred)
¼ red onion finely chopped
1.5 tsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp of oregano
¼ cupped chopped pepperonis
¼ cup ricotta cheese
¼ mascarpone cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
6 Red Fresno Chile peppers
1.Wash the peppers and cut the tops off of them and remove the stems. Remove the seed and set aside.
2.Brown the sausage like before, drain then cool.
3.Add the other ingredients to the sausage and then stuff the peppers like before.
4.Grill in the same manner as before and serve.

Asian BBQ Duck Quesadilla
I do not really care for asian food, but my fiancé loves it. So for her birthday I made her an asian inspired menu. In order to be able to eat dinner with her I made barbeque duck so that I would enjoy dinner as well. We had left over duck and I made nachos with it the next day. That was the basic evolution of this recipe. Granted people have made duck quesadillas before, but most of those are in restaurants where they have smokers, cold smokers, or some other manner of specialty cooking. One last note: I made my dinner with wood duck breasts, because I had some from a hunting trip. I would advise against using game duck if you can for this dish, unless you really like a gamey flavor. The fresh ginger and orange zest in the quesadilla should add a clean taste to the grill flavor helping to balance the dish out.This will make 4 quesadillas, so adjust accordingly.

2 cleaned and deboned duck breasts
½ cup of peanut oil tbs peanut oil
1.5 tbs honey
¼ cup of soy
4 cloves of garlic smashed
1 large ginger root finely chopped
Juice of 1 orange
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tsp of ground mustard
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp ground coriander
½ cup red onion finely chopped
½ cup of leeks finely chopped (you want the part of the leek that’s the light green…where the white meets the green)
1 Thai Chile seeds removed and finely chopped
16 oz of grated jalapeno jack cheese
4 large flour tortillas
Olive oil
1.Ina large Ziploc bag put the duck breasts, peanut oil, honey, soy, garlic, orange juice, and ½ of the chopped ginger.
2.In a small bowl combine the ground ginger, cinnamon, mustard, pepper, salt, coriander, and ½ of the orange zest.
3.In a sauté pan add a small amount of olive oil and the onions, leeks, and chiles. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 4 minutes on medium heat until they begin to soften. Remove and let dry on paper towels.
4.Light and clean grill, and establish a medium heat.
5.Remove duck breasts from marinade and then rub with dry mixture. Let rest for 5 minutes.
6.Lay the breasts on the grill and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, until they reach a nice medium-rare plus. Duck can get very tough when overcooked.
7.Allow the duck breasts to cool, and then shred the breast meat.
8.Lay out the tortillas. In each of the tortillas lay down 4 oz of the cheese on half of the tortilla. Then add the duck, onions, leeks, chiles, and the other half of the sliced ginger and the other half of the orange zest. Fold the other half of the tortilla over.
9.Re-oil your sauté pan and cook each quesadilla over medium high heat until the tortilla begins to crisp up on each side.
10.Cut into four sections and serve. (Serve with sour cream, or asian bbq sauce if you like)

I really dislike Mixed Drinks. Whiskey on ice splash of water is all I need. However this is a drink that I will have on occasion during the warmer months and it seems to fit this party idea.
Club Special
2 parts vodka
1 part lemonade
1 part sprite
Dash of cherry juice

Shake all together and serve on ice. Garnish with a lime.

Last edited:

TideRollsInVa

All-SEC
Oct 16, 1999
Lake Martin, AL & Atlanta
Honestly, I could not have asked for anything simpler than a menu in celebration of Cinco de Mayo. Please don’t misunderstand me; I am in no way confident of winning and could be eliminated as easily as any other. This is simple only because the appetizer, main course and the 2 suggested drink I’m submitting is what I prepare every May.

Appetizer:

Chiles Rellenos

Ingredients

8 – Anaheim Green Chiles or 1 - 7 oz. cans of whole Green Chiles
1/2 lb – Monterey Jack Cheese, block
Flour - Amounts of 1/2 cup and 3 TSP
4 –large eggs
1 TSP – Water
1/4 tsp – salt
Veg. Oil

Preparation:

Fresh Chiles – Select chiles with long, strong stems, if possible. Wash and dry and place over medium heat on the grill or underneath a broiler (to prevent rupturing pierce each pepper once with a sharp tip knife). Turn frequently until blistered and lightly browned all over but not limp. Watch closely and as each chile is done, drop in plastic bag. Close bag, once complete and let rest until cool enough to handle. Peel using a sharp paring knife, catching the skin and pulling it gently away. Don’t tear the chile, if a piece of skin is stubborn, leave it. Lay peeled chile flat and cut a lengthwise slit in one side to within ¼ inch of the tip and the stem. Carefully, with a spoon, remove the seed and what rib and pitch at the stem end that you can without tearing the pepper. If you desire more “heat”, leave the pitch intact.
Note: you can peel ahead of time, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

If can Chiles are being used – Drain, rinse and cut slit down the side of each. Gently remove seeds and pitch, as you would for fresh.

Stuff either fresh or canned chiles with a piece of cheese about ½ by ¼ inch thick and approx. 1 inch shorter that the chile. Roll each chile in flour to coat all over, gently shake off excess

Coating – Separate 4 eggs. Beat whites until they form soft peaks. Beat yokes with 1 TSP of water, 3 TSP flour and ¼ tsp salt until creamy; fold yoke mixture gently into whites.

NOTE: The egg mixture breaks down quickly. If a greater quantity of chiles are being prepared, I strongly suggest following the coating recipe for 8 peppers and make additional batches as required.

Cooking – Heat about 1 ½ inches of oil in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Dip stuffed peppers into the fluffy batter (stem comes in handy), place on a saucer and slide the coated pepper off the saucer into the hot oil. When bottom is golden brown gently turn with spatula and fork. Caution, stem becomes weak with cooking. Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel.

Serve topped with salsa.

Comments: I discovered this technique back in the mid 70’s in Fallon Nevada. I questioned the cook on how his serving arrived to the table so perfectly. Of all things, he took me into his kitchen and not only demonstrated but allowed me to prepare an order for an unsuspecting table. He did admit, for every dozen prepared, 1 normally goes to the trash. Patience is the key with the preparation.

Main Dish

Carnitas Tacos with Green Onion Rajas

Ingredients:

1 - 4-pound boneless pork butt or shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 - 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
3 cups water
½ stick butter
2 tsp chopped garlic
4 red bell peppers; cut into ¼ inch thick strips
4 poblano chilies; seeded and cut into ¼ inch thick strips
12 green onions; cut into matchstick size strips
1 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack Cheese
¾ cup whipping cream
¼ cup coarsely chopped cilantro
18 warm 6 inch flour or corn tortillas
4 Jalapenos, diced
Lime wedges

Directions:

Place pork in heavy large pot. Add broth and enough water to cover pork by ½ inch. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover partially; simmer until meat is very tender and liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Cool slightly. Shred meat and season with salt. Cover and keep warm.

Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add bell peppers and poblanos; sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Add green onions; sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add cheese and cream. Simmer until cheese melts and liquid thickens. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon some shredded meat onto half of each warm tortilla. Top with sauce mixture and diced jalapenos, if you dare. Fold tortilla over filling. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over and have hot sauce of choice available.

Comments: Not a hot and overly spicy dish, hence the jalapenos and hot sauce.

Refreshments

Sangria

Ingredients

1 Large bottle of Red Table Wine
2 Ripe peach, peeled and sliced
24 Strawberries, whole
2 Banana, sliced
2 Orange, peeled and whole
2 Lemon, sliced
2 Lime, sliced
1 Cup of your favorite orange liqueur (a “knockoff” brand is acceptable)
½ Cup of peach schnapps
½ Cup of brandy
2 TSP of sugar or more to taste
12 oz of cold club soda
Additional sliced fruits of choice for garnish

Directions

Either in one Very Large pitcher add the fruit, liqueur, schnapps, brandy and sugar or in 2 large pitchers, add equal amounts of the fruit, liqueur, schnapps, brandy and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar; gently not to bruise the fruit. Pour the red wine into the Very Large pitcher or equal amounts into the 2 pitchers. Stir once again, taste, add additional sugar if desired. Let marinate for 2 hours at room temperature and refrigerate. At serving time add the club soda (equal parts if 2 pitchers) and serve with or without the marinated fruit. Place a small amount of fresh fruit in glass, if serving without marinated fruit.

Variation: For those so inclined, blend serving quantity(s) with just enough ice to make no more than a “slush” consistency and top each serving with liqueur.

Comments: The base foundation for this Sangria comes from a Playboy Bar Book published in the early 1970’s. I’ve tweaked it over the years to what I offer the judges today, mainly from observing a beach bartender in Palma, Spain preparing what I considered the best.

Michilada

Ingredients

Celery Salt
Juice of 1 lime
2 oz Tomato Juice
TSP of Worchester Sauce
½ tsp Tabasco Sauce
Ice
Mexican beer of choice
Pinch of Mexican Oregano
Dash of Cayenne Pepper
Dash of Black Pepper, coarse ground

Directions

Place ample amount of celery salt onto a rimming plate. Moisten rim of beer mug and press into celery salt. To mug, add lime and tomato juice, Worchester and Tabasco, and stir. Place 3 ice cubes into mug. Fill mug with beer and add oregano and both peppers. Stir gently so not to build too much foam. Adjust the "heat" by either adding or reducing hot sauce or amount of pepper to meet the recipients taste.

Comment: A large quantity of juices and sauces can be mixed-up in advance to ease single serving preparations. Add hot sauce/pepper or additional tomato juice to the individual serving, to meet the recipients taste.

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
Hurry up guys submit something even if it's a toothpick soaked in hot sauce. ;)
One of my all time favorites. Not only do I enjoy the taste, but it's also a fun prank to pull on coworkers...and party guest:biggrin:!
My menu has been adjusted.
I hope you have time to find the grass hoppers, it takes a quite a bit to equal a pound. Maybe you can pay off some of the neighborhood kids to round 'em up for you.

rolltideroll202

Scout Team
Aug 19, 2004
Pisgah, AL
I have been in Odessa, TX this week and was beginning to worry that I would not get home in time to get mine entered. The dessert I am submitting was made for me this week, I have never had this before but it was delicious.

Cocktail: Mango Margarita Slush

1 16 oz bag of frozen Mango chunks
1/3 cup sugar
12 oz frozen limeade concentrate
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups tequila (your favorite brand)
4 cups lemon-lime carbonated beverage, chilled

In blender, place mangos, sugar and limeade concentrate. Cover, blend on high speed until mangos are chopped and mixture is blended. Slowly add 1/2 to 1 cup of the water, blending well.

Pour into non metal freezer container. Add remaining 1/2 to 1 cup of water, tequila and 1 1/2 cups of the carbonated beverage, mix well. Cover container, freeze 8 hours or overnight until icy, stirring 2 or 3 times after 2 hours.

To serve,stir mixture, spoon into glasses and top off with 1/4 cup of the carbonated beverage. And enjoy.

Salsa Cake

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 cup roasted red pepper and tomato salsa
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/3 cup water

Cream Cheese Icing (below)

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and allspice in a mixing bowl. Add salsa and shortening. Beat 3 minutes or until well mixed. Beat in eggs and water, 3 minutes. Grease and flour 2 8 inch round cake pans, lined with baking or parchment paper. Pour in batter spreading evenly.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and frost with cream cheese icing.

Cream Cheese Icing

mix together 6 ounces soft cream cheese, 4 cups confectioners sugar, 2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine and 1/2 tsp of vanilla.

Well thats all ive got this week like I said ive been out of town working and I didnt have much time to prepare this week.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Good :) I was about to post "Enchilada bar" and return to fill it in this afternoon . There are loads of ingredients and toppings .

I may end up cutting it pretty close to the deadline .

Last edited:
Bayou--

Thanks for extending the deadline...between running a restaurant in Mobile and doing the catering for the Rise Golf Tourney in Tuscaloosa, this week has been hectic to say the least.

I want to do 2 very simple recipes for this menu, hey Cinco de Mayo is about entertaining after all.

Fried Plantains

5 lbs over ripe plantains (almost mushy)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
salt
oil.

These are simple, mash up the plantains and squeeze them out of the casings. Mix the cheese in and form "cakes". Fry them at 350 degrees. Immediately dust with salt when they come out. There are many toppings that can be put on these. I like a simple queso dip or refried beans.

Orange Julio

This is my take on the old "Orange Julius" drink. I know I know, its not politically correct lol.

1 oz tequilla
1/4 oz Grand Marnier or Cointreu
2 oz OJ
1 scoop ice cream
1 dash of vanilla flavoring
crushed ice

Mix all ingredients together in blender. I usually dash the vanilla on top for color, and garnish with a orange wedge coated in sugar.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.